Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a little confused.

Do you need your own motorcycle for the motorcycle safety course? And if so, I don't understand how they let you drive a motorcycle to the DMV if you still don't have a license. Or do you take the safety course after the written? Do you get your motorcycle license upon completing the written test only?

What is the best way to study for the written test?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
In every state l have heard of, the bike is provided for you. They are usually little 250 cruisers or standards.

In Washington, they dedicate a good portion of the class to teaching you everything necessary to pass the written test. There is no written test at the DOL here, but l understand that it is required in some states.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The legal way to take the DMV test is either to have someone ride the motorcycle there for you or obtain a permit first. Some states require a licensed motorcyclist to observe you while you are riding on a permit.

All of the state courses that I know of provide a motorcycle for taking the class. Many states waive the DMV exams when passing a state-approved course.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think it would be worth it to wait til I'm 21 (5 months) so I don't have to take the driving test? Just the written and safety course?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Lemme get this straight Gooch...if you are under 21, you need to take a written test and a riding test with the state, even if you have passed the BRC? But if you are 21 you only need to take the BRC and a written test?

Can you get a riding permit that allows you to ride, but only during daylight and without a passenger? In Washington you can get this permit, it lasts for 90 days. If such a permit exists, then l would wait 2 months, so that you are 20 years, 9 months old. Then l would take the BRC and get your 90 day permit. Then l would ride with the permit until you are 21, then take the written and be off. That is just what l would do. My leadership skills are still up in the air ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I think that is how it is for CA. The DMV is just a litltle confusing.

I think if youre 18-21, it is mandatory to take the BRC, written test, and DMV issued driving test.

Then 21+ says the BRC is optional yet recommended, but if you complete the BRC and bring in the certificate of completion, I think that lets you opt out of the DMV issued driving test, and only take the written test.

And yes you can get a permit, but I dont own my own a bike yet and don't really have access to any at the moment

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping to get my license first before buying a bike so I can have the safety knowledge with me, as well as being able to test ride some bikes to find the best starter bike suited for me

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yes they do. I'm not sure what kind of bikes they use in Cali. Up here they use a variety, so that you can ride something similar to what you might buy yourself. We had Suzuki 250 cruisers and a couple of little Groms, and there were a few of us that rode BMW 650 adventure bikes. That is what l rode, because l figured it was closest in size to what l might buy.

Oh, and also, by riding the bigger bike, they gave us more room for "the box" which is essentially a u-turn drill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts