Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well If you have a Suzuki C90 i guess you can expect your rear brake rotor rivets to get very loose and leave u stranded or hurt you. Please be cautious. I have a 2008 C90T with 11,256 miles to be exact on it and the rear brake rotor about fell off and left me stranded on the side of the road. I the rear wheel locked up tight cause the rotor was hitting the caliper bracket. And if your bike is out of warranty than dont expect to get any help from the dealer. And be sure your sitting down when u get the price of a new rotor. Just the rotor alone is well over $400. Yes that is correct. I love the way a Suzuki feels and rides but it will be the last I own. Just a word of caution. Be sure if you have a C90 keep a very close eye on your rear brake rotor.

C

·
0 Posts
Rear brake rotor rivets...rear brake rotor rivets!!! Who the **** rivets a brake rotor on?!? That's something that needs carefully torqued hardened bolts.

Sue them! :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
248 Posts
The rotor isn't 'riveted' on, it's bolted on. It's a floating rotor. The 'rivets' you're talking about are the buttons the rotor floats on. Most modern bikes use this style rotor. I had heard reports that some of the Suzuki cruisers' floating rear rotors were a little too loose. They are supposed to be a little loose. This is the first time I've heard of one actually failing. They probably haven't recieved enough reports of failures to issue a recall. I'm sorry it happened to you. I'd try screaming at another dealership. Sometimes you can get lucky and find one with a more flexible DSM.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
That sucks....I just sold my zuki, maybe it was the right decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bad rotor

i have a 2006 c90 i have had 3 rotors on mine and still cant get it fixed the dealer here has called tech support and they said they have not heard of that before i am working with a nother dealer if i hear any thing i will let u know

·
Registered
2 Posts
rear brake

Well If you have a Suzuki C90 i guess you can expect your rear brake rotor rivets to get very loose and leave u stranded or hurt you. Please be cautious. I have a 2008 C90T with 11,256 miles to be exact on it and the rear brake rotor about fell off and left me stranded on the side of the road. I the rear wheel locked up tight cause the rotor was hitting the caliper bracket. And if your bike is out of warranty than dont expect to get any help from the dealer. And be sure your sitting down when u get the price of a new rotor. Just the rotor alone is well over $400. Yes that is correct. I love the way a Suzuki feels and rides but it will be the last I own. Just a word of caution. Be sure if you have a C90 keep a very close eye on your rear brake rotor.
i have the same problem trying to find answer

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with RedATAC. The rotor is bolted on and the "buttons" (what you guys are calling rivets) is what the second part of the rotor "floats" on. This is the same design used on a number of modern manufacturers bikes. It is a "floating" rotor and is supposed to be a little loose. This is why your mechanics aren't "fixing them" after numerous rotor changes. They are in fact, ripping you off. I have a 2008 C90T with 21,768 miles. When I bought it off the showroom floor I was concerned about the rotor being "loose". I called Suzuki and found out about these rotors. Just the other day I took my bike in for new tires and the mechanic tried to rip me off at the dealership by saying my rear rotor was loose and needed to be replaced. I told him he was there when I bought the bike and didn't he remember our phone call to Suzuki? He looked surprised and said, "oh yeah",your right - my bad.
Jeez!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, and I can't afford $400 dollar rotors. EBC makes a good rotor for $149.00, that from what I hear is much better than any OEM rotor. If you go to denniskirk.com they have the EBC Rear Pro-Lite Brake Rotor Dennis Kirk Part #: 1905085

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are three types of brake rotors: solid, semifloating, and full floating. With a solid rotor a single piece of metal is bolted to the wheel. With semifloating, you have a center piece and a separate outer part that the brake pads touch and the two are connected by a bunch of round "buttons" that allow a small amount of movement between the two. With full floating, the braking surface is relatively loose so that it can move around to hopefully become in perfect alignment with the pads. Full floating rotors are less likely to pulse than solid or semifloating rotors. Most race bikes have full floating rotors. Full floating rotors make noise at low speeds as the parts move around, since they're kind of loose. Semifloating rotors don't make the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 C90T. At 5,200 miles my rear rotor was replaced because it was coming apart. Suzuki did not recognize this as a warranty issue but covered it as special case. The replacement does not wobble. I now have ~18k miles on the bike and the rear rotor is still solid and does not wobble. It also has the buttons/rivits. It's still a good idea to keep your eye on it.

On a side note. I've meticiously maintained my bike by dealerships. In addition to the rotor replacement I've had to replace the front bearings which starting failing at 9k miles. This was not covered by warranty even though the bike was under warranty. Suzuki felt this was a normal wear/tear part. So I did not opt for the extended warranty from Suzuki since they do not cover failures. Now I'm experiencing a small oil leak just above the alternator cover. It's in the shop and waiting to hear on that. I'm pleased with the price performance of the bike and it's power. Completely DISSATISFIED with Suzuki's product and warranty support. Probably be my 1st and last Suzuki product unless Suzuki starts standing behind their products better.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 2008 C90T. At 5,200 miles my rear rotor was replaced because it was coming apart. Suzuki did not recognize this as a warranty issue but covered it as special case. The replacement does not wobble. I now have ~18k miles on the bike and the rear rotor is still solid and does not wobble. It also has the buttons/rivits. It's still a good idea to keep your eye on it.

On a side note. I've meticiously maintained my bike by dealerships. In addition to the rotor replacement I've had to replace the front bearings which starting failing at 9k miles. This was not covered by warranty even though the bike was under warranty. Suzuki felt this was a normal wear/tear part. So I did not opt for the extended warranty from Suzuki since they do not cover failures. Now I'm experiencing a small oil leak just above the alternator cover. It's in the shop and waiting to hear on that. I'm pleased with the price performance of the bike and it's power. Completely DISSATISFIED with Suzuki's product and warranty support. Probably be my 1st and last Suzuki product unless Suzuki starts standing behind their products better.
So over 18k miles, you had to pay for a set of wheel bearings and you're "completely dissatisfied"? If the bike is still under warranty, the oil leak should be covered. That's a manufacturer defect. The wheel bearing however is a different story. Bearings wear out over time. Wheel bearings especially if axle nuts are over tightened. Should Suzuki pay for a new set of tires every time you wear them out if the bike is still under warranty? Of course not. I have to admit though, there are some issues Suzuki should resolve and they haven't. For the most part though, they stand behind their product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a fix to the issue of the rivets loosening up. I own a 2004 Suzuki VL1500 and have tightened the rivet up on mine.
A gentleman in Canada actually made a tool that tightens the rivets back up. Saved me the money for a new rotor. He even has a video showing how to do it and the last time I heard he was renting his tool out to people to fix thiers.
If you are interested in looking into repairing you own send me an email and I'll send you his url.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a fix to the issue of the rivets loosening up. I own a 2004 Suzuki VL1500 and have tightened the rivet up on mine.
A gentleman in Canada actually made a tool that tightens the rivets back up. Saved me the money for a new rotor. He even has a video showing how to do it and the last time I heard he was renting his tool out to people to fix thiers.
If you are interested in looking into repairing you own send me an email and I'll send you his url.
Hi. Can you give me the url to the guy in Canada who has the tool to tighten up the rivets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have any idea what is acceptable play? Obviously they will become loose on a new rotor and they are a little expensive to be changing yearly!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,816 Posts
This thread is 8 years old, the people you are replying to are no longer around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts