Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking out the Yamaha C50 and M50 bikes. I read a lot of complaints about the rear drum brakes. Can someone tell me specifically what is wrong with them and is it a deal breaker? I am a new rider and looking for a used bike and some people say they are great bikes and others said the rear brakes are bad.

Is the only difference between these 2 models just the style because except for the fenders I can't tell a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you mean Suzuki.... Rear brake problem???? I have 14,000 miles on mine and they are still like new (most of my miles are cross country). I have never heard the problem.... but then, i have not changed them yet... they are drum, not disc - if thats what "they" are talking about.

bob

·
Triumph Guy
516 Posts
The rear drum was the deal breaker for me. When I buy a new bike I want something new and drum breaks have been around for too long yes the tecnolagy works but I feel it is a cop-out on suzukis part. From a proformace aspect drums just dont cut it, for just a daily rider someone would probley never know the diffrence.

Chuck

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have been checking out the Yamaha C50 and M50 bikes. I read a lot of complaints about the rear drum brakes. Can someone tell me specifically what is wrong with them and is it a deal breaker? I am a new rider and looking for a used bike and some people say they are great bikes and others said the rear brakes are bad.

Is the only difference between these 2 models just the style because except for the fenders I can't tell a difference.
I owned a C50 prior to trading it in on a C90. There's nothing wrong with the rear drum brake. Yes, performance wise a disc brake is better than a drum brake. Drum brakes have been around forever and they work just fine. If you are looking for a high performance bike, yes you want disc brakes. If you are talking about buying a bigger, heavier cruiser, yes disc brakes are better. The C90 has dual discs up front and a single rear disc - but it's also a bigger heavier bike. For the size and weight of the C50, the drum rear brake performs just fine and I never had any issue with it. I rode two up sometimes and the brakes were adequate for that as well. If that's your only issue with the C50, don'tlet it scare you away. They're good bikes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you mean Suzuki.... Rear brake problem???? I have 14,000 miles on mine and they are still like new (most of my miles are cross country). I have never heard the problem.... but then, i have not changed them yet... they are drum, not disc - if thats what "they" are talking about.

bob
Yes my bad I meant SUZUKI sorry. I have been looking at so many bikes lately my mind is one big metric jumble.....Well in the user reviews of the bike the only complaint that keeps coming up are the rear drum brakes and the loud valve chatter. Perhaps the drums don't have the same stopping power I don't know that is what I am asking. Maybe problem was not a good choice of words complaint may have been a better word.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I owned a C50 prior to trading it in on a C90. There's nothing wrong with the rear drum brake. Yes, performance wise a disc brake is better than a drum brake. Drum brakes have been around forever and they work just fine. If you are looking for a high performance bike, yes you want disc brakes. If you are talking about buying a bigger, heavier cruiser, yes disc brakes are better. The C90 has dual discs up front and a single rear disc - but it's also a bigger heavier bike. For the size and weight of the C50, the drum rear brake performs just fine and I never had any issue with it. I rode two up sometimes and the brakes were adequate for that as well. If that's your only issue with the C50, don'tlet it scare you away. They're good bikes.
Out of all the smaller cruisers I have sat on the C50 seems to fit me better and I am tall. They must be pretty good bikes because they are hard to find used....Since you owned one did you have any issue with the motor clatter presumably from the valves. I read a lot of people saying the motor is inherently noisy but other than that it runs fine. Thanks for you comments.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Out of all the smaller cruisers I have sat on the C50 seems to fit me better and I am tall. They must be pretty good bikes because they are hard to find used....Since you owned one did you have any issue with the motor clatter presumably from the valves. I read a lot of people saying the motor is inherently noisy but other than that it runs fine. Thanks for you comments.
I'd call it more of a tick than a clatter. Yes, they all do it and it's completely normal. That's just the sound they make. They are very good bikes and just about bullet proof. The Suzuki dealers in my area can't keep them on the floor. They're their best sellers. I've said it before, but I think they offer the best bang for the buck. I love my C90, but for the price of the C50, you just can't beat it. The only real criticism I'll offer for Suzuki cruisers (and you can say this about just about all the metric cruisers) is the stock exhaust sounds just too tame for me. If you're like most riders, you'll be looking to upgrade the exhaust at some point to get a throatier sound.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd call it more of a tick than a clatter. Yes, they all do it and it's completely normal. That's just the sound they make. They are very good bikes and just about bullet proof. The Suzuki dealers in my area can't keep them on the floor. They're their best sellers. I've said it before, but I think they offer the best bang for the buck. I love my C90, but for the price of the C50, you just can't beat it. The only real criticism I'll offer for Suzuki cruisers (and you can say this about just about all the metric cruisers) is the stock exhaust sounds just too tame for me. If you're like most riders, you'll be looking to upgrade the exhaust at some point to get a throatier sound.
You are right a used C/M50 is almost impossible to find and new is not easy either. The ones you do find bring a premium price. Everyone speaks highly of them and for my first bike it seems like a good fit for me. The C90 fits me better but I am reluctant to choose the added horsepower with my beginner skills.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2005 C50 w/8000 miles was on the dealers floor exactly one DAY when I spotted it on a Saturday at close, 6 pm. I was riding it home my Monday at noon. $5800 in immaculant perfect condition. I love this bike and the rear drum is a non-issue however, it needs a 6 speed gearbox IMO. I ride it alot with me a Lisa on it and it stops fine, wet or dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts