Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Kawasaki Z300 with electric start.

When I'm starting motorcycle it always does "bzzz" sound (for like a 1 second) and then it starts. Is it a fuel pump? Does my bike even have a fuel pump? Anyways lately that "bzzz" sound takes a lot longer. It takes literally 10 seconds of "bzzz" before motorcycle attempts to start (and then it starts without any troubles). When it sits longer (1 day+) it takes full 10 seconds. If bike sits just for and hour it's OK.

I would like to know what is that sound and what is most likely the problem?

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
You do not say what year the bike is, but I am going to assume it has a computer. So the short answer is the computer is making plans for the engine. My 06 Suzuki does this. Doing its thing in technical terms. I wait until it stops, then fire.

Or, it has a retracting finger with a sensor on the end. The finger slides out to check the outside temperature, then retracts and reports the info to the brain, which sends instructions to the fuel pump, but mostly to the injector. What you hear is the motor driving the finger.
UK

·
Registered
775 Posts
Or, it has a retracting finger with a sensor on the end. ... What you hear is the motor driving the finger.
You don't think it could be the buzzer that wakes up the hamsters so they climb onto the little wheel?

My machine has EFI and it makes a "whirring" sound as the fuel pump pressures the injector rail. It actually makes the same sound continuously, as I ride, but once the engine starts I can't hear it. If your bike has a carburetor, then it's not this.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,830 Posts
Most every fuel injected bike does that as soon as the key is turned to the on position and the kill switch in on run. The fuel pump is pressurizing the injectors.
Sam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.