Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
That's too bad. I've seen a couple of those close up and they are quality machines.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's too bad. I've seen a couple of those close up and they are quality machines.
I don't know how things are your side of the pond but over here people are still struggling from the 2008 recession, and big brand names have been surviving on PCP to keep them going, so obscure brands are doubly in trouble, its of no surprise a company like this would go under, even if its not their fault.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Not a surprise, but that is too bad! I'm a huge fan of the bikes - just wish I could afford one!

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
This comment on that page sums it up.

mickey says:
September 1, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Wish I had been able to at least test ride one. Don’t think I would have ever bought one seeing as my old Honda ST 1300 (110,000 miles) and my new Yamaha FJR 1300 did, and are doing, the same job reliably for far less money and with a huge dealer and aftermarket backup.

It’s just not important to me to be different, for different’s sake.. and that is the customer they needed

The bikes were being sold for almost $40K, when the competition was as low as the mid-teens. Even high end competition was only in the twenties. I understand why they were priced as such. Hand built, amazing baby block engine, etc. But not many will buy a bike for that much more money, especially when dealer support was sparse and longevity of the company was questioned from the beginning. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

That said, best sounding motorcycle engine that was ever on the market. It's doubtful, but I hope another manufacturer pics up this engine design.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, that really summed it up.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Exactly. Too expensive and not well known. Not going very far if no one heard of you and those that do can't afford it. I had hoped Polaris would get them and put that engine in one of their Indian frames. Still could happen but not likely unfortunately. Seems there are a lot of very good engines being killed lately.:sad:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,119 Posts
Too expensive and narrow focused, no reliability/ unreliability record established, Absolutely NO dealer network, to name a few reasons for their demise.

Sam:)

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
They seemed like something I really wanted to own but with no dealership near me to see one (they would pay any dealer to service it under warranty) and the huge cost I just couldn't justify the purchase. Maybe one will still come my way someday.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Not surprising, but disapoointing.
It's very difficult to get any new brand up and going (in any pursuit.)
I've had the chance to check them out on a few occasions. They seemed VERY well built and sounded AWESOME. Fit and Finish were impeccable. $40k was a high price, but when you consider the small production and R+D costs of what was, essentially, a "ground up" design...
Just another example that building a superior product does not always ensure business success

Good on them for giving it a go. Failure is always a possiblilty, unless you never try...

·
Registered
166 Posts
The engine sounds intriguing certainly but how many people really need or can use that level of horsepower on the street? I have the answer for that, exactly zero! Not a practical machine and that coming from a person who is not into practical. But motorcycles in and of themselves are not particularly practical. So I guess somebody could think they need nearly 200 horsepower, I guess.

The point is that this high end, high horsepower, super quality and exclusivity pricing is a very limited market. If they downsize the engine to the 90 to 110 horsepower class and then put it in a chassis that can be multifunctional and at about half their current selling price, then they may get enough business to stay in business.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Well that engine in a big heavy touring bike would have been assume. People overload bikes like that so that much horsepower geared appropriately would make for a nice machine. Which is why I wish Polaris snatched them up so they could put that engine in a Indian frame for a completely new model offering to compete with Honda's Goldwing. Won't happen but it would have been nice to help grow that brand. Just daydreaming ya know.:smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts