Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing bikes for sale that are really cheap, far below the NADA value. What is wrong with those bikes? Are they crap or do people not know the value? For example there is a yamaha R6 2006 selling for 1925 and a suzuki katana 2006 selling for 3400 in the same area. I have been tempted to message the person who posted the R6 for sale but i think its a scam or something is really wrong with the bike. Do any of your see that when looking at used motorcycle ads?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The old saying goes, if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Many of these "fantastic deals" are straight up scams. The seller claims they will ship the bike to you at their expense and give you money back plus shipping if you are not delighted. All they ask for is your trust and a non-refundable wire transfer. Oh yeah, the bike doesn't really exist and they run off with your money.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Do any of your see that when looking at used motorcycle ads?
I once emailed a seller from CL about a motorcycle that was supposed to be located 20 minutes from me. The seller responded the bike was really in Florida and when I sent the money order, they'd get it to me right away. Later I found the pictures they used on a blog or something. I can't believe people fall for this stuff, but of course as soon as I do, I'll fall victim to it.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
$3400 is about the correct value for the Katana...

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,395 Posts
I called on one that went to Voice mail, it was a Honda Hurricane, 900.00 looked good some busted plastic, he texted back to send him my email and he would send more pics I was like "ok" send email, and then he sent me a link to a photobucket, and then contacted the owner of the photobucket page and low and behold he was not selling this bike someone was scamming... but now they had my email and my phone number, ugg, you can imagine what happened next.

Be careful what you respond to and how you respond.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bought mine off craigslist 9 years ago; good deal and just around the corner. It had been sitting in someone's garage and they needed the room. You need to be careful, but if you know what you're looking for, there are a lot more good deals on craigslist than say Cycle Trader.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
They're not all scams. I sold a couple of my bikes on CL. I've purchased a few things off of CL, as well. You just have to be careful. My son purchased his bike from CL (nice bike, nice price); I purchased my touring bike from CL, and I had to drive three hours to go look at it -- worth the trip and the money. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I buy and sell a lot on CL. I've travelled as far as 10 hours away for various purchases. Most of the time it works out and some of the time it doesn't and I walk away. If I do walk away, I treat it as a weekend getaway, no harm no foul.

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,395 Posts
All very true I bought the last 2 bikes off craigslist, just this last time at least the STL CL I called about 20 bikes only one was Legit.

It sounded like a great deal too a Maxim 650 or 750 I forget and he seemed like a nice guy but I ended up with money problem and had to hold off to make sure things did not go wrong. I hope he sold it because it really did sound sweet and he seemed sincere on the phone. I like when I call during the hours they say to and they answer.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I found that if you sift through lots of ads, you start to see very clearly between the lines, the sellers who are legit and those who are not. I developed a pretty good system for weeding out the losers. I automatically threw out any bike that had any of these...

1) Salvage title - I don't care if it was just cosmetic damage, they are hard to sell and l don't want the headache.

2) No title - Let me know when you have it and we can talk then.

3) Anyone who carries on about some problem with the bike. To me, an honest seller will just say, "Bike fell over at low speeds, some cosmetic damage" and let the pictures speak for themselves. If the seller goes on and on explaining the whole thing, trying to minimize it or downplay the cost of repairs, then you are dealing with a seller who has a guilty conscience.

4) Crummy pictures. If you can't take a few good pictures then l generally don't waste my time. An especially big red flag is if someone takes great pictures and provides several of them but they leave out a significant area, like never showing a photo of one side of the bike.

5) Be very careful of the guy who is selling a bike and says, "Just needs _______." When l was looking for a bike l found a really cool older bike, it was a 1985 Suzuki GS700. It had hard bags and everything, and looked really clean. It started at $1400, then came down to $1000. The guy was military and heading off to the Middle East, so he was just trying to dump it. Then l read the fine print..."Just needs new tires, carbs cleaned, and a new piece of glass for the windshield." Those three things for that bike came up to nearly a grand alone. So the $1000 bike is actually a $2000 bike.

6) I am not interested in a bike that has been for sale over and over again. There is a 1985 Yamaha FJ1200 for sale in my area for about $2400. It is super clean, has had the gearbox issue fixed, and although it has like 60,000 miles on it, it appears to be ready to go and will probably be fine for whoever buys it. But that bike was for sale this time last year when l started getting the itch and began looking, when l was still in the daydreaming stage. The seller has posted it for sale like clockwork every 2 weeks as long as l have been paying attention. Something is just not right, so l will just agree with public opinion and steer clear of that one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My last two bikes a car and a truck came from CL. And lots of other things, appliances, Telescope, guitars...
I don't mind using it at all, some deals are real some not.

I spoke with the owner on the phone from work that morning, ad said cosmetic issues. I really could not see much in the pictures. The guy was a retired Marine, small rip in the seat and cap was off the starter button.
His garage was cleaner than my house...
I drove 139 miles one way after work and road it home that night.
It was a 1984 GL1200 Interstate, timing belts had just been replaced, starter rebuilt and carbs cleaned a year before. It was a REALLY good deal.
Road it four years, just sold it to my BIL last week.

Our VTX1300 came from CL last November.

Bought a $100 washing machine last week.

My rules:
1) ALWAYS talk to the person on the phone.
2) Ask why they are selling, does it make sense?
3) Clear title IN HAND
4) If I can't ride/drive it home no deal

Just a side note, if they don't get back to me right away, I dump the deal.
I also make contact with them before I leave the house to go look at anything. Not being able to get in contact is a BIG RED FLAG

On Salvage titles, my insurance will not give you full coverage using one and most banks will not loan money on one, most dealers will not take one on trade. Call around and see what you are told in your area.

Good deals don't last long, but there is ALWAYS another right around the corner, don't rush into anything without doing your homework, but have your money ready to go when it happens.

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,395 Posts
My last two bikes a car and a truck came from CL. And lots of other things, appliances, Telescope, guitars...
I don't mind using it at all, some deals are real some not.

I spoke with the owner on the phone from work that morning, ad said cosmetic issues. I really could not see much in the pictures. The guy was a retired Marine, small rip in the seat and cap was off the starter button.
His garage was cleaner than my house...
I drove 139 miles one way after work and road it home that night.
It was a 1984 GL1200 Interstate, timing belts had just been replaced, starter rebuilt and carbs cleaned a year before. It was a REALLY good deal.
Road it four years, just sold it to my BIL last week.

Our VTX1300 came from CL last November.

Bought a $100 washing machine last week.

My rules:
1) ALWAYS talk to the person on the phone.
2) Ask why they are selling, does it make sense?
3) Clear title IN HAND
4) If I can't ride/drive it home no deal

Just a side note, if they don't get back to me right away, I dump the deal.
I also make contact with them before I leave the house to go look at anything. Not being able to get in contact is a BIG RED FLAG

On Salvage titles, my insurance will not give you full coverage using one and most banks will not loan money on one, most dealers will not take one on trade. Call around and see what you are told in your area.

Good deals don't last long, but there is ALWAYS another right around the corner, don't rush into anything without doing your homework, but have your money ready to go when it happens.
Not being able to get in contact is a big deal, for sure and most important when it is a clear title add to that in THEIR name.
In Saint Louis city looked at 10 bikes all ten the title was in someone elses name signed a year or more ago and they claimed they rode it last season, scary stuff there, I had to go out in the county to get the deals that were remotely legit.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I ask for additional hi-rez images to be emailed. You can't see anything on those low-rez Craigslist pictures.

The other thing is co-operation. If a seller "can't be bothered" to snap and email a few good photos, or return calls, blah blah blah..

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,395 Posts
Now on the flip side, when I sold my 500 I was slammed with people promising to come that just never showed up. And nearly all of them wanted pictures, one even posed as a potential buyer than wanted to "trade", I entertained the idea untill he was too busy to bother like you said to send me anything after I spent a few hours of my day dealing with him. :frown:

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy anything from CL, wouldn't matter if it was the best deal in the world. I'm sure there are a few legit sellers there, but I'm not going to waste my time because of the reputation CL has for garbage scammers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy anything from CL, wouldn't matter if it was the best deal in the world. I'm sure there are a few legit sellers there, but I'm not going to waste my time because of the reputation CL has for garbage scammers.
I can't disagree with your facts, but the same thing can be said about most used car sale man. :biggrin:

That is a good point checking the name on the title, I just about got into trouble on a $200 Jon Boat over that. I was ready to load it up when I noticed the name. I don't think the guy was looking to rip me off, but it would have created a lot of trouble for me to get the correct paperwork done.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I hate used car salesmen too, but at least they have to face you in a public space and you know who they are. Around here, since it's a small population, they're reputation does tend to allow them to be somewhat more honest. I've never had to meet them in a dark alley to see the car.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
I've only used CL to sell stuff I was actually ashamed to say I owned it. Does that say what I think CL is good for?:D It was stuff I would have taken to the dump but I didn't want to pay to dump the stuff.

·
Registered
886 Posts
For my opinion of Craigs List sales see "Please Help Regarding Guzzi Question" thread in the general section. Another member was looking at a 1981 Moto Guzzi for sale online that seemed to be too good to be true, I looked up an ad that was for the same model/year at the same price that a scammer had apparently found a picture on the internet to call their own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts