Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have completed my MSF training, and am looking into buying my first bike. Last week, I found a used 2013 or 2012 (I forgot:confused:) CBR250R at the Honda dealer with 3890 miles on it for $3000. They told me they had done all the necessary maintenance when it was received, and that they got it on a trade. I would be paying 100% in cash.

for a 2013, KBB says retail should be around $3085 and NADA says $4,200-2,145 with the avg. being $2,825.

My question is does this sound like a good deal?
Would I be paying the 6.25% Texas tax to them or the DMV?
Would it be absurd to ask for $3000 out the door? (if I am supposed to pay the dealer the tax)
Do you think they would negotiate on it like that?
Should I skip the dealer and wait for craigslist?

I am very new to the buying process so any info would be great.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(P.S. I am going to class in a few minutes so I'll talk with you all closer to 8:30)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
I would go for the 3k out the door. All they can do is say no. Not sure about Texas and bikes, but here you can pay it all to the dealer and for a slight fee they will take care of all of it for you.

·
Visionary
4,624 Posts
Well, did you get it for the $3000? How does it ride? Anything exciting happen yet? Post some pics and show us the bike.
Don't leave us hanging here!

Can you tell it's the winter non riding season?
:biggrin:

For the record, it sounds like a good enough deal, and with buying from a dealer you can expect no major surprises or weird issues while your learning to ride it, which is a good thing. Save all that fun stuff for later! 3900 miles is just broken in nicely, good luck with it (if you bought it)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I got it! I just stuck to 3000 and when we seemed to hit an impasse I just said thank you for your time and started to stand up. He stopped me both times and I ended up with what I asked for.

It was...ahem...fun driving home. Especially the stop lights... I'll just go to the park and practice.

I can't post any pictures until I have 15 posts so maybe another time.

Anyway thanks for the input!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Well done. It sounds like both of you are not thrilled which means you got a fair deal. If either of you was thrilled with the deal the other person probably got the short end of it.

·
Visionary
4,624 Posts
Glad you got it at your price and got it home ok. Good luck with it!

I chickened out on the 60 mile ride home with mine after not riding a bike for 30 years and had a very experienced rider bring it home for me so I could practice in a parking lot that first time. The sales guys were barely able to keep from laughing when we picked it up though, they said this was the first time any of them could remember a guy bringing his wife to ride the bike home for him while he took the car, though the reverse is pretty common apparently. Leave it to me to get things backwards :)

Yeah, I got it! I just stuck to 3000 and when we seemed to hit an impasse I just said thank you for your time and started to stand up. He stopped me both times and I ended up with what I asked for.

It was...ahem...fun driving home. Especially the stop lights... I'll just go to the park and practice.

I can't post any pictures until I have 15 posts so maybe another time.

Anyway thanks for the input!

·
Registered
886 Posts
The difference between buying at a dealer and a private seller will be that the taxes and title fees will be included in the price at a dealer for a fee, from a private seller you will pay the taxes and fees to the DMV yourself. The other difference will be having some sort of warranty from a dealer unless sold as is, with the private seller you are on your own if anything goes wrong. Did you have someone else that knows more about bikes guide you by looking at the bike to be sure everything was as it should be? With a dealer that is more of a given than buying from a private seller.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Glad you got it at your price and got it home ok. Good luck with it!

I chickened out on the 60 mile ride home with mine after not riding a bike for 30 years and had a very experienced rider bring it home for me so I could practice in a parking lot that first time. The sales guys were barely able to keep from laughing when we picked it up though, they said this was the first time any of them could remember a guy bringing his wife to ride the bike home for him while he took the car, though the reverse is pretty common apparently. Leave it to me to get things backwards :)
I guess you can say you are a trailblazer. Although I guess the dealer thought of another term.:D

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I would go for the 3k out the door. All they can do is say no. Not sure about Texas and bikes, but here you can pay it all to the dealer and for a slight fee they will take care of all of it for you.
^^^^^^^^^+1
What Critter said!!
Hey, all they can do is say no or counter offer ,right?
Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts