Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am somewhat new to sport bikes and trying to learn as i go along. I have my eyes on a Kaw Ninja 250 for a project bike on craigslist but i am unsure to get it so i could use some advice.

It is a pre-gen: 2004, less than 3k miles on it.
Gas tank needs painting

"Part out or drop new engine in it. Transmission may or may not be okay - mechanic wasn't sure" <--- from the ad.
This guy wants $400 for it. It might sound like a good price for the base and do some custom work but i dunno how much all the work is gonna cost or if once it starts up i will have other isssues with it. If i put a $400 engine in it will it perform ok?..
Please give me some advice if i should get this or what to keep in mind.

Thanks,
Mandy

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Hi Mandy,

It sounds like there is a reason the seller is getting rid of it so cheap. Transmission work can be difficult, and usually involves pulling the engine.

If you're buying this as a bike you would like to ride regularly in the near future I would walk away. If this is purely a project bike and you don't mind it sitting in your shop for a while, that's a different story.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's pretty much what I'm looking for right now, a cheap parts bike to pick at. I got half of a small dirt bike sitting in the back of house, but she's short half a motor and a rear wheel. MORE PARTS!

I'm riding around on my dad's klr, at the moment, when the weather is suitable.

·
Very Famous Person
9,694 Posts
--

When anyone has a used bike, or anything, that's been messed up and needs some major parts repaired, I have to think that if that part was abused, then probably all the parts have had neglect or harsh use.

--

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
The amount of money that you may have to put into that bike could very possibly be touching the price of just buying a decent running '08+ 250R (New Gen).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a pregen Ninja for $800 and it ran well for about 6 months which was perfect for me because I got more comfortable riding and decided to buy a Ninja 300.

Getting any work done on these by a mechanic is going to cost you good bit of cash. If its not something you think you can fix yourself I don't think a pregen is worth it at this point unless it is in really nice shape.

·
Rat Bike Extraordinaire
929 Posts
Not worth it. While it might seem like a steal, a ninja 250 is a rock solid reliable machine, so you'd have to ask how a ten year old bike got into such dire straights. Accident? Salvage title? Flood bike? Extreme neglect? Any way you slice it, you are looking at a myriad of problems that will be costly to fix.

If you are on a budget, save up 1500 dollars and look again; the ninja 250's are all over the place for decent prices (especially the pregens-ever since the newer ones came out, their prices have been plummeting.)

If you are looking for a project, there are much better projects to be had. In my experience, projects look more like 1970's or 80's bikes that were garaged for 20 years, which take work to get running, but probably have all of the essential components there.

·
Hooker
921 Posts
I am somewhat new to sport bikes and trying to learn as i go along. I have my eyes on a Kaw Ninja 250 for a project bike on craigslist but i am unsure to get it so i could use some advice.

It is a pre-gen: 2004, less than 3k miles on it.
Gas tank needs painting

"Part out or drop new engine in it. Transmission may or may not be okay - mechanic wasn't sure" <--- from the ad.
This guy wants $400 for it. It might sound like a good price for the base and do some custom work but i dunno how much all the work is gonna cost or if once it starts up i will have other isssues with it. If i put a $400 engine in it will it perform ok?..
Please give me some advice if i should get this or what to keep in mind.

Thanks,
Mandy
Unless you can easily find all the parts, and figure how much they'll cost, I'd avoid it. Just get a bike of your own that you can ride around on, then, if money is no issue, look around for a project bike that you can learn to wrench on. I learned that the hard way.

Oh, also, in case you're thinking of trying to customize the thing, I don't know of too many people that bother to do all that much with a 250. Most people just want them to learn on (or keep as a spare).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts