Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am new here. I have never ridden a motorcycle before and am only considering buying my first scooter in LA to commute. I have read many sells on Craigslist and found these two posts the most attractive. I have no idea what advantages an stretched scooter has over an ordinary and how to compare the prices. If you guys can provide any useful info for me I will appreciate it a lot! Here are the two links on Craigslist:

Stretched Honda 2009 Metropolitian 50cc:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/5405226130.html

Yamaha Zuma 2014 50 cc:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/5418350739.html
Cheers!

·
Visionary
4,615 Posts
I don't know anything about scooters specifically but If I was you for your first one I'd avoid anything chopped up, stretched, re-engined, or otherwise modified like that one (though it does look interesting) and go with a nice normal un-modified one like the other until you learn how to ride it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
What Mike said

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: first scooter

I have only been riding a scooter for about 6 months but commute daily with it, and learned how to ride a real motorcycle last month. From the various scooters I tested and researched, I concur with the previous advice of selecting an un-modified scooter. Buy a model with the motor size that will meet your speed and distance needs.

I will add that you should avoid Chinese made scooters and stick with the main brands (i.e., Vespa, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kymco, Genuine, Sym).

Finally, definitely complete one of the CMSP California Motorcyclist Safety Program's Motorcyclist Training Courses (MTC) offered near you. By the way, the SRT Saddleback Rider Training course ROCKS! You can complete the course using your own scooter or motorcycle, or ride one the program provided motorcycles. You do NOT have to have a motorcycle license to take the MTC course, and you don't have to have any motorcycle experience beforehand. Sooooo worth the investment. You learn proper turning, braking, bike control, etc. After completing the course, I decided I want to upgrade to a motorcycle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts