Motorcycle Forum banner

Buying my first mc

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Doc Samson 
#1 ·
So I’ve decided to go get the a1 licence as I just turned 16. I’ve been looking at a few bikes, and yzf r125 and mt 125 has caught my attention. The only problem is that they are a bit pricey, so I’ll bring the CBR into consideration. I’m about 184cm tall and weigh about 75kgs.

Imo the looks of the yzf is just stunning, but I’ve read that the laying position can be a bit uncomfortable. I also like the looks of the mt, and I’ve read that it is more comfy.

So my question is, what bike would you guys recommend, with power, comf, and price into consideration: Honda CBR, Yamaha Mt 125 or YZF R125? (If you have any other suggestions that would be better in the same price range as the listed ones, please tell me)

I’ll be uskng it to school sometimes just for fun (I only live about 1-1,5km from school) but mostly out with my friends, which are all driving mt and ktm duke.

I’m pretty desperate atm, so any replies would be greatly appreciated!😁

#2 ·
First, welcome and thanks for introducing yourself! You may get asked to post up in the New Members section...

As for which bike? I strongly encourage you to NOT worry about power right now or, if you can stand it, looks. You want something that feels right when you are on it, regardless of what your friends are riding. Straight line pulls and sexy bodywork won't make a bit of difference if you aren't comfortable on it after 20-30 minutes. It will also impede your skill acquisition which should be your main goal right now. Go test them out and see which one feels right for you, practice those low speed skills, learn the bike, and then amaze your friends as you leave 'em in the rear view on your beater bike because you focused on what was important! (y)

Reactions: Porky
#3 ·
Hey! Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I must admit that I’m pretty caught up in looks and power. That’s probably why I fell in love with the mt and yzf, but they’re in the pricierrange. But one that I found, which is pretty cheap, 2500 pounds, is the gsx-s. It looks good, and it seems like the power isn’t too bad either. Also looks quite comfy. Do you think this would be a good starter bike?😊

Also, I’ve got some experience, or idk if I really can call it that, but I’ve driven a 50cc that my grandpa has for quite some hours, and I must admit it’s pretty fun even though it doesn’t have a lot of power! So I guess any 125cc would be a huge upgrade😁 (and here is a yzf I found, https://www.finn.no/178281152

45 000 nok,which translates to 3700 pounds. Is this worth it instead of the gsx-s?)

#4 ·
Anything in that power range is going to be good to learn on but people often get caught up in paying more for a few extra horsepower (I was one of them!). Focusing on the handling and comfort are what make becoming a better rider so much easier. I will admit that straight line speed can be fun and addictive but, once you learn how to push in the curves, there is no comparison...

As for the gsx-s, if it fits you well and you like it enough at that price, go for it! Motorcycle prices fluctuate a lot in my area so I usually check the surrounding postings/prices to see what the market is asking or if I can find better deals. I found my current bike for an unbelievable price and, because it was one of the rare times I'd been patient, I was able to buy it.

Good luck and make sure to post up some pics of whatever you end up getting!

Reactions: Henrik
#5 ·
Welcome to a great Forum from the Colonies!

Any bike in the range you've mentioned would be a great first bike and I must say, they look fantastic. We in the States don't get any of those models at all.

Enjoy but be safe!

Sam:)

#6 ·
Whatever brand had a good dealer closest would move to the top of the list.
If your friends are riding, what shop do they deal with? I would start there.

Good used can make a great first bike. I'm sure lots of folks step up as soon as they can, that should make for a pretty good used market?

Good luck

#7 ·
Hey, and thanks for all the replies!

I have many good deals as for used bike in my area atm. I’ve found some good deals on both mt and yfz. I must say, the yzf is really a bike ijust fell in love with at first sight, but the only thing holding me back is that I’m so unsure wether it’s comfy for me or not (I’m about 185, and I’ve read it’s not for tall bikers). So do any of you have experience with sport bikes, with 180cm+? And I haven’t got the license plate, I will probably get around july/august I think. So I can’t really take them for a test drive😅 I do have some experience with my grandpas 50cc though, so might try and get a ride on the one I’m gonna look at tomorrow. So yeah, do you guys know anything about sport bikes, if they’re comfy or not for 180+ people?
Cus I reallly, really want the yzf 2016, but I don’t want to be in pain while riding it😆😆

#8 ·
Only YOU can judge comfort. Many bike's feel comfortable on the Dealers showroom or sitting still but some or even most won't feel so good after a LONG time in the saddle.

All of the neat and LITTLE Sport Bikes are to me, made specifically for the LITTLE people but can be made more comfortable at GREAT expense by installing higher bars, a better seat and lowered footpegs. I have done this for instance to my last Ducati and turned it into a 100 mile BUTT breaker from it's factory 50 mile situation. My past Buell 1125 Superbike became tolerable with the same mods.

A lot depends on the distance you plan on riding. My normal work commute is about 22 miles round trip so I could ride a Skateboard for that distance and be okay. My normal weekend food ride is normally 150 or so round trip and then I need a comfortable seat.

Choose wisely!

Sam:) Clan MacNaughton

#9 ·
I ended up buying a beautiful yzf r125 2016 model, and now I’m looking for a new exhaust. I’ve read that I need to find an exhaust that fits the engine or something like that so I don’t lose performance. Do you guys think a scorpion serket taper would go well with my yzf?

#10 ·
Pics?

Despite what most sports bike "bros" say, putting an exhaust on almost always loses you some hp at the lower revs. Some bigger cc bikes gain it back higher up in the rev band but small displacement bikes usually do not. The upside is that they are much lighter than stock, and they look and sound much better. Not familiar with that brand but the sound clip I listened to sounded nice!

Here are a mod vid I found that you might be interested in...

#11 ·
Pics?

Despite what most sports bike "bros" say, putting an exhaust on almost always loses you some hp at the lower revs. Some bigger cc bikes gain it back higher up in the rev band but small displacement bikes usually do not. The upside is that they are much lighter than stock, and they look and sound much better. Not familiar with that brand but the sound clip I listened to sounded nice!

Here are a mod vid I found that you might be interested in...

Thanks! Yeah I will upload some pics when I get it thirsday. I will upload what it looks like when I bought it and after I modded it. I really look forward to drive and mod this beauty😁

#12 ·
So this is my bike! This is the one I ended up with! I’ve driven it a little bit outside my house and I love it. Now I’m gonna be modding it to make it look a bit more fresh, just need to figure out wther I want green or red details. But yeah, I will post some more pictures when I’ve worked on it a lil bit more😁 And I also gotta find an good sounding exhaust which doesn’t kill any power

#13 ·
Just shop around for a slip on that's made for your bike.

I put a jardine on my 1000rr. Just putting around you can feel a little 'surge' due to it removing the factory back pressure damper. I bought mine cause the stock on the 1000rr sounded like a whistle wound up. I got the quietest on I can find, I like it.

#14 ·
Looks really good, man! As far as accents, I hear the ladies prefer... blue. lol.

Have to say that stock can doesn't look bad! A little fat but nothing like the one mine came with... you could fire a bazooka round out of it!

#16 ·
I do not. Electrical stuff is my nightmare so I try to not mess with anything if I don't have to! I would guess you could look for some dedicated Yamaha forums that might have a few knowledgeable write-ups that, if not exactly what you have, would be close enough to go by...

#18 ·
What else will they do @ 6k? I'd say that if you can do it yourself, save the $$$. Working on and learning the bike yourself, you might be confident enough to do the 10k service by the time it is due...

#19 ·
My friend said they will have a vent check or something to check if the vent is burned into the cylinder... Not sure what it means but. And also, do you think it's any big difference between a full system and a slip on aftermarket exhaust?

#20 ·
I'd speak with a mechanic at the shop and ask them exactly what they do during the service. Never heard of a "vent check" but if it is something serious and/or technical, you might want to have them do it. Is there a dedicated 125 forum you could access? I find those often have good write-ups with pics by folks that do their own maintenance.

The only time a full system makes a difference is in the higher hp bikes that also get a dyno tune. I know some guys were doing that for their Ninja 300's and only seeing approximately a 5 hp increase, noticeable but hardly worth the cost unless you are racing. I'd be inclined to save the money or just go with the slip on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.