Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MF as of ten minutes ago and I thought this would be a great place to get some insight from some experienced riders.

I'm looking to buy my first road bike the spring/summer and wanted some input. I am interested in a cruiser that will last me a few years. I've always been a big fan of Harleys and the culture, but have never owned one. My father owns a road king, which is a beauty, but a bit to much of an "old man" bike for me. I'm 6'2" so I will need something with a little bit of leg room to ride comfortably. I also have some minor back issues and live in Detroit where the roads look post-apocalyptic, so cushy suspension and seat are a plus. I love the look of the 48 and 883, but from what I hear are not comfortable for taller riders, and the suspension sounds like a nightmare.

I have been riding dirt bikes all of my life and currently ride a 2-stroke 250, so I am quite comfortable with something with a little power, but I'm not sure how well that translates to a heavy cruiser.

I know I need to go to a shop and sit on a few bikes to see what is comfortable, but I wanted some insight on where to start looking.

I am also not 100% set on getting a HD and am open to any other suggestions as well.

Any insight is appreciated. :71baldboy:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There are a lot of choices out there. The best idea is to research a few that look interesting to you, and go see how they fit.

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
You'll be missing out on all the fun if we narrow it down for you. Looking and test riding is fun. Hit up every dealer around. But given you are a experienced dirt bike rider, maybe a dual sport would be the way to transition. Then later move on to a full cruiser or maybe touring bike. But start test riding. Unless you are completely snowed in. I didn't see where you are.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your dirt bike experience is useful in a very limited way, it means you understand the controls of a bike.
From a more practical point of view, you probably stab at the rear brake when you see something challenging ahead and that is absolutely the wrong thing to do on the street, so you will have old habits to overcome.
I would suggest that even an old rider like you could learn something by taking the Basic Rider Course, BRC. I took it as a refresher after 40 years of street riding and it had new lessons for me to learn. In most states the course will also give you a waiver for the road test at the DMV.
With your experience and size I would suggest that you consider bikes in the 500 to 650cc range. Once you have the certificate from the BRC go out to all of the local multi-brand dealers near you and sit on anything that looks good to you. There will probably be one or two bikes that really "speak to you" so take those bikes out for a test ride. My bet is that you will find exactly the right bike very quickly if you can bring yourself to ignore brand names. I know the tradition and loyalty that HD seems to command but all bikes are about equally reliable and one that you really like sure beats riding what daddy rides in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts