Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm planning to buy my first bike soon. What do you think I can expect to get for around $1500-$2000? What mileage should I expect?

I'm leaning towards a Ninja 250 since thats what my brother had previously chosen, I assume he did a good amount of research.

I always wanted a motorcycle. But, recently I started going to school and from my school to my workplace the traffic is absolutely terrible and its making me late to work. I've been driving in the carpool lane illegally for a few weeks, but I can't keep doing that. I just got pulled over a couple days ago(he let me go this time :) . Also, my car is an SUV and I noticed I have been spending over $300 monthly on gas. Money isn't quite a problem right now, I could go a little higher if need be.

Mostly I need a bike to:
1.) ***reducing time to work (use carpool)
2.) reduce gas spending
3.) fun!

right now im making a good amount but if I lose my job I will be making nothing so its important I get a bike pretty soon and I need your help. I finally have enough reasons to really do it.

I plan on taking basic rider training as well as more advanced training; in addition to my brother teaching me.

What are the questions I should ask when buying a Sportbike? Especially Ninja 250? What should I ask the previous owner?

PS: Here is a craigslist listing near where I live

sfbay. craigslist. org/eby/mcy/[/url]

Does anyone see a good deal here that they can steer me to?

Thank you for your time :coffee:

:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
the ninja 250 is a perfect beginner bike. for 2 grand you should be able to find a decent or even a very good conditioned ninja 250. new ones cost about 5 grand if i am not mistaken.

you might be able to find a decent 06-07 for that price

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think you are making a great choice. The 250's are great on gas, and a hoot to ride, and are much more forgiving to new riders.

Buying a used 250cc bike should be more than possible in your budget.

When you go to look at the bike, make a checklist of things to review.

Here are some things to check out.
1. Tires, are they still good? Check the Tread for wear, Check the sidewalls for rot or cracks.
2. Check the fork seals on the front. Look for oil smears on the forks or dry rot/cracks in the seals.
3. Check the chain and sprocket. Is the chain clean and lubed properly, are the sprocket teeth still in good shape or are they hooked?
4. Check all the controls. Clutch/Brakes/Gear selector. Do they all work properly and smoothly. Is there any false neutrals in the gearbox.

You should go get your motorcycle permit first, before you get a bike.
When you find the bike that you want, and you purchase it, immediatly call your insurance agent from your cell phone, and get insurance over the phone on it. This will allow you to protect the bike and yourself from the minute you buy the bike. It only takes a few minutes on the phone, and will save you a bunch of trouble later.

Take the bike home, and do some basic maintance on the bike. Lube the chain, change the oil, drain the gas and replace with fresh gas, check the brake fluid levels, check air pressure in the tires. Do all this regardless of what the previous owner says.

·
track junkie
798 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm planning to buy my first bike soon. What do you think I can expect to get for around $1500-$2000? What mileage should I expect?

I'm leaning towards a Ninja 250 since thats what my brother had previously chosen, I assume he did a good amount of research.

I always wanted a motorcycle. But, recently I started going to school and from my school to my workplace the traffic is absolutely terrible and its making me late to work. I've been driving in the carpool lane illegally for a few weeks, but I can't keep doing that. I just got pulled over a couple days ago(he let me go this time :) . Also, my car is an SUV and I noticed I have been spending over $300 monthly on gas. Money isn't quite a problem right now, I could go a little higher if need be.

Mostly I need a bike to:
1.) ***reducing time to work (use carpool)
2.) reduce gas spending
3.) fun!

right now im making a good amount but if I lose my job I will be making nothing so its important I get a bike pretty soon and I need your help. I finally have enough reasons to really do it.

I plan on taking basic rider training as well as more advanced training; in addition to my brother teaching me.

What are the questions I should ask when buying a Sportbike? Especially Ninja 250? What should I ask the previous owner?

PS: Here is a craigslist listing near where I live

sfbay. craigslist. org/eby/mcy/[/url]

Does anyone see a good deal here that they can steer me to?

Thank you for your time :coffee:

:)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1263062527.html

This is median pricing for a later model older style ninja 250. If you can bargain it down to under 2000, 1900, it would be a solid deal.

these bikes are pretty stout. not very needy in terms of maintenance. But whenever buying a bike you want to know first off: is the title in hand, or easily obtained and the title's status; is it tagged/pno/OK w/ DMV; if it's been crashed (and be skeptical if you hear no); if it's been ridden regularly and recently/aka if the carbs are gunked up w/ old fuel. then you need to inspect it and look for major damage to the suspension and the frame.

here's some other solid choices:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1260634615.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1254874465.html

·
track junkie
798 Posts
Here are some things to check out.
1. Tires, are they still good? Check the Tread for wear, Check the sidewalls for rot or cracks.
2. Check the fork seals on the front. Look for oil smears on the forks or dry rot/cracks in the seals.
3. Check the chain and sprocket. Is the chain clean and lubed properly, are the sprocket teeth still in good shape or are they hooked?
4. Check all the controls. Clutch/Brakes/Gear selector. Do they all work properly and smoothly. Is there any false neutrals in the gearbox.

Take the bike home, and do some basic maintance on the bike. Lube the chain, change the oil, drain the gas and replace with fresh gas, check the brake fluid levels, check air pressure in the tires. Do all this regardless of what the previous owner says.
+1. I'd also start the bike and make sure the bike starts easily and idles ok. And when you get home, in addition to the things you mentioned I'd also check coolant/replace coolant. None of this stuff is very hard to do on your own, so no need to go to a shop.

the ninja 250 is a perfect beginner bike. for 2 grand you should be able to find a decent or even a very good conditioned ninja 250. new ones cost about 5 grand if i am not mistaken.

you might be able to find a decent 06-07 for that price
08/09's cost 3800 MSRP before tax, and are the updated "sportier" looking ninja 250's. 1988-2007 had basically the same design.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't limit yourself to the 250s either. The 500's ( either the Ninja/EX500 or the Suzuki GS500) are just as good beginner bikes as the 250's IMO and for some folks are easier to ride.

If you do end up with the 250, this is all the info you'll ever need.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

I agree man. So I thought a 250 would be great for me. Being my first street bike and that I didn’t want anything too big for me to hold up. I didn’t even consider anything different or test out other bikes. I really think you should go with something bigger. I'm SOOOO ready for a larger bike.. I was ready after less than a month of being on the 250...

Also, if you going to be on the freeway in traffic you may want to consider something more like 500 . I don’t like freeway on my little 250 but I enjoy it on my friends 600...

Its all up to you man. Test ride a lot of bikes to get the feel for what you want. Rocket, cruiser, you know what I mean. Even if you r not going to buy a new one or a bike from a dealer, go down and ride several. Or maybe even take the class you were talking about before you buy your bike and ride the one they give you to use. A friend of mine that took the beginner class was provided with a 250so he got a good feel for it.

Good luck! Be safe!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I really think you should go with something bigger. I'm SOOOO ready for a larger bike.. I was ready after less than a month of being on the 250...

Also, if you going to be on the freeway in traffic you may want to consider something more like 500 . I don’t like freeway on my little 250 but I enjoy it on my friends 600... "

I've heard a lot of ppl say this. While I believe what you are saying is true, I believe I will still get the 250 first. I can learn on the 250, then resell it (for nearly the same price I bought it) and get a bigger bike in a few months, when I am ready.

·
Registered
6 Posts
250's are good bikes. That is what i rode when i took the basic rider class, but of course my first and only bike i got is 1986 suzuki 1100.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts