Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm about to go check out a scooter I like tomorrow at a dealership nearby. I've never bought a motorcycle or a scooter before, is it like buying a car, can I expect some room for bargaining, and can I expect the dealer to lower their price compared to the posted retail price? Or is there less wiggle room since it's a ~$3k purchase vs ~$20k?

Thanks!

· Very Famous Person
10,116 Posts
--

Presuming you've checked around and have an idea of what you want, then the only thing that matters from the dealer is the "out-the-door-price" including everything. No add-ons later, or extras, or set up fees, or anything. That's the number that matters and should show you exactly where each part of your money goes.

As to any bargaining, you'll have to do some comparison shopping to find out if there are areas of 'compromise'.

--

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Yeah, I know exactly which model I want (Piaggio Liberty 150) and I emailed back and forth with the manager at the dealership a few times. From what I'm reading at this price point they don't really have a ton of margin so I'm not expecting more than a few %... I don't know what to expect in the fees department yet. Hopefully not too much.

BTW he told me that they charge a (refundable) $500 fee to test drive (ride!) it. Is that typical?

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The dealership I was going to go to today only has one but I see another one has like 3 or 4. Presumably this means the one which has more would be more confident to move them out, right? So would be less likely to offer any incentives?

· Registered
782 Posts
Generally speaking, if you can find an older model year of the same ride, the dealer is more prone to cut you a deal than on one that just showed up at the dealer a few months ago.

I would hit Cycle Trader where you can search by zip code and you may find a better price in your area.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I did hit cycle trader and I see some for sale ($2499 instead of $2999), but it's ~90 miles from my house. That might be one looong trip back! :-D Probably a stupid question but: if it's the 2018 model it means it's from this year, right? Not last year?

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
The only problem with 90 miles is you might get to the first oil change sooner but you'll also know the bike sooner. It's all good. Ride that puppy.:D

· Very Famous Person
10,116 Posts
On most motorcycles production starts in the year before and continues into the current model year. So a 2017 model could be made in late 2017 or 2018.
--

Are you sure on that? I would think a 2017 model would come out early 2016 until late summer 2017. My new 2018 Star Eluder was first with magazine writers in late 2017 and mine never even got to the dealer until mid-spring 2018.

--

· Gone.
17,927 Posts
--

Are you sure on that? I would think a 2017 model would come out early 2016 until late summer 2017. My new 2018 Star Eluder was first with magazine writers in late 2017 and mine never even got to the dealer until mid-spring 2018.

--
You are correct.

That's what I meant to say but I confused myself. What I should have said was a 2018 model can be made in 2017 or 2018.

Thanks for catching the mistake!

· Very Famous Person
10,116 Posts
So basically a 2018 model could be last year or this year? That doesn't help! :-D

--

Regardless of the year, all bikes with that year designation should be identically made and have the same components. One difference is that some of those bikes could be on the dealer's lot for several years and still be considered brand new and have full factory warranty. In some cases there could be some wear just from people getting on and off or getting bumped while being moved around or for some demo rides, but the appearance and odometer would tell you that.

--

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
So basically a 2018 model could be last year or this year? That doesn't help! :-D

BTW do dealerships typically run sales for Memorial Day?
I think some have a PROMOTION verses' a SALE. But there is nothing TYPICAL.:smile_big:

· SUPER MODERATOR
10,555 Posts
Here ya go Sport:

https://www.cycletrader.com/Liberty...berty 150|764948640&category=Scooter|2009120&

https://www.cycletrader.com/Liberty...berty 150|764859324&category=Scooter|2009120&

Google is your friend :smile_big:

Nice choice!

OTD is all that counts when doing a comparison and ask what it will be, right up front. They all play with a super low price and then inflate that price by shipping, dealer prep, DMV papers, and (Get this) added dealer incentive or markup:surprise: So, be wise and ask the TOTAL drive off price immediately. Most dealers on Cycletrader will email the OTD to you if you request it.:smile:

I still have a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 and have had 8 scooters in the past. To me they are at least as much fun as any motorcycle I've ever had:grin:

I had a new Aprilia (Piaggio) Atlantic 500 scooter and it was not only fantastic but extremely beautiful in the Italian tradition where form is as important as function:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

· Registered
22 Posts
I know I am late to the party but I just bought a 2018 GSXR 750 brand new Monday (5/24/2018)...

List price: $10,500
Mods: $1,500
Other fees (shipping, assembly, tax, title, tags, etc...: $3,000
Insurance down payment (full coverage): $500
Helmet, Jacket: $800

Boy that added up quickly

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.