Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my first bike within the next few weeks. I was originally planning on buying a ZX-6R until I read through all the forums with people warning others not to start with a 600cc bike. For once I have decided to listen.

I am now getting either a 2008+ Ninja 250r or Ninja 650 as those seem to be the popular choices for "first bikes". I am leaning more towards the 250 as I found an undertail kit and slip on exhaust for it that would fix all my complaints about it ( I think the stock exhaust and rear end are kinda goofy looking).

Now for the question. My ULTIMATE goal is to end up on a Hayabusa but I want to spend a few years on a ZX-6R or R6 first. After mastering the 250 or 650 ( once riding skills are instinct and habitual), should I be able to ride the ZX6R or R6 with little problems? Or Is there a "middle" bike between the 250/650 and the ZX6R/R6 that I should get first?

I understand it different with everyone, but I learn fast, have no intentions of "showing off" and already have a healthy respect for the bike that I don't even have yet. Sorry for the long post.

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
39 views and no one can tell me if there is a step between the Ninja 250r and the ZX-6R?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was sort of in your spot when I bought my bike, I wanted something bigger than the Ninja 250 but I didn't want a supersport. I ended up choosing the Ninja 650R, parallel twin engine so not as twitchy as a supersport (from what I've heard, I don't dare get on one yet) and in my experience it's been a very good bike for a beginner. It's got enough power that I don't see myself outgrowing the bike for quite a while, but its not as likely to get me killed as a supersport would be.

I didn't necessarily do anything the right way (I bought the bike before my course, then rode it after the course, didn't touch it ahead of time)

Make sure you've taken a course first and don't be in a hurry to dismiss the 250, but if you do, find something in between like the 650R, don't get the ZX6R if you're looking for something to start on. My 2 cents, sorry I couldn't write anything in more detail, attempting to help while at work :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
+1

A lot of new riders seem to want a full on Super Sport because they think it's cool. After you get some experience you may well decide that they are not comfortable, they don't do well on long trips due to the riding position (after all they are built mainly for the track) and you're happier with a standard or a sport tour or even a cruiser. Don't get to worried about it yet. Take a class, get a 250, and LEARN to ride. I mean really ride. I know plenty of guys on 250's that are way better and faster riders than guys on the 600's or litre Super Sports.
To the original question, yes, there are steps in the middle.

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
I do have a second question now. When I was in the military years ago, I was seriously looking at a Suzuki Katana 600. I found it really comfortable and it didn't feel too heavy. I didn't get it due to financial reasons.
Now that I am ACTUALLY getting one I am finding some decent deals on them. Looking through past threads the general consensus seems to be that it is an ok starting bike. Why is the Katana 600 an OK starting bike but the ZX6R, R6, CBR600F4i, etc... are not ok?

I've sat on (not ridden) the Katana and know its comfortable, I've only seen pictures of the Ninja 250. Looking fgor opinions.

·
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was sort of in your spot when I bought my bike, I wanted something bigger than the Ninja 250 but I didn't want a supersport. I ended up choosing the Ninja 650R, parallel twin engine so not as twitchy as a supersport (from what I've heard, I don't dare get on one yet) and in my experience it's been a very good bike for a beginner. It's got enough power that I don't see myself outgrowing the bike for quite a while, but its not as likely to get me killed as a supersport would be.

I didn't necessarily do anything the right way (I bought the bike before my course, then rode it after the course, didn't touch it ahead of time)

Make sure you've taken a course first and don't be in a hurry to dismiss the 250, but if you do, find something in between like the 650R, don't get the ZX6R if you're looking for something to start on. My 2 cents, sorry I couldn't write anything in more detail, attempting to help while at work :)
Don't worry, I haven't dismissed the 250r yet, actually if I get the undertail kit and slip-on exhaust, I am leaning more towards it than anything else. My only concerns are that: 1. It has enough power for me to take small daytrips on highways (not freeways). I live in Michigan so there is a lot of cool places to ride to. And 2. Due to having 6+ months of unrideable northern Michigan winters, bikes don't seem to sell as fast as other places. I am worried I will be ready to move up bikes a little bit next year and won't be able to sell it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd honestly recommend visiting your local dealer and sitting on any of the bikes you're interested in. I've never been on a katana so I can't help you there, but I still think a 250,400 or 650 ninja would be your best bet. I wouldn't recommend the 650 unless you've taken a course and feel comfortable on it, but it's been good for me. I'd probably go with a cheap used 250 as my first bike if I had to do it again, but I love my ninja

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Thanks.
I do have a second question now. When I was in the military years ago, I was seriously looking at a Suzuki Katana 600. I found it really comfortable and it didn't feel too heavy. I didn't get it due to financial reasons.
Now that I am ACTUALLY getting one I am finding some decent deals on them. Looking through past threads the general consensus seems to be that it is an ok starting bike. Why is the Katana 600 an OK starting bike but the ZX6R, R6, CBR600F4i, etc... are not ok?

I've sat on (not ridden) the Katana and know its comfortable, I've only seen pictures of the Ninja 250. Looking fgor opinions.
Sitting on any bike for a few minutes in a controlled situation can be comfortable, riding for a couple hundred miles with your weight on your wrists and your knees bent tight can be another thing altogether. I'm not familiar with the Katana 600 so I can't comment on it specifically. As I said earlier, take a course, get some seat time and then test ride any bikes you can manage and see what they really feel like.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I was able to tell pretty quickly after I sat down on a ZX6-R on the dealer floor that it wasn't going to be a bike I could stand to be on for long stretches. It felt like my entire upper body was resting on my wrist joints. NOOOOOO way. But I still wouldn't mind having one for my short commute to work. ;-)

A Katana is pretty much the same way (I sat on my co-worker's Katana when he threw his leg over my 650R).

On the other hand, the riding position on a 250 & 650 are about as upright as you're going to get this side of a standard. There are a lot of folks who actually put clip-ons on the 650 because they want to lean a bit more. Understandable from an aerodynamics standpoint, but it's a REALLY comfortable bike in stock form. It was my favorite out of the 8 bikes I've owned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts