Motorcycle Forum banner

Buying first bike help

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  b06gso 
#1 ·
ok i'm looking at getting a 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 for my first bike. I have taken the MSF course but have not ridden besides that. I plan on mostly riding on deserted strips for a few months to get use to the bike.

This bike is going for 3,000 but has some issues like: Missing a side mirror, turn signal bent, gas tank has small ding.

Is this pricing correct because for $845 more there was one that had no damage and came with a lot of after market accessories but not in my state (CA).

I want someone to inspect the bike if i decided to buy but was wonder how much that would cost me???

What can i expect to pay in insurance for this bike, i'm 18 no driving accidents no tickets. I recently had someone vandalize ($1,700) my car and did dispute a red light ticket (found innocent) but don't know if that will go into affect with insurance costs.

Looking to pay under or close to 1,000 /year was hoping to pay around 6 but riding is too fun so i will pay for it if i have to.

Is it legal to ride with a missing mirror???

Thanks for reading i appreciate the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
A quick and crude fake Progressive quote for an 18 year old living in CA, for MINIMUM liability, you are looking at most likely at LEAST $1,000/year. However, it is HIGHLY recommended that you get at least $100k/$300k liability, which will bring you closer to $2,000/year.

Look for another bike. A supersport isn't a good bike for a beginner anyway.

#4 ·
It's been on its side. New gas tank, new mirror, new blinker, + labor + touch up paint is more than $845. Me, I'd keep looking.

Mirror requirements vary by state but if you're going to be in real traffic you want two regardless.

I'm paying $64 a year for liability only (100/300/100) on my small bike (175cc) and about $275 a year for full coverage on my gold wing (1832cc). After you ride for a few years the rates drop precipitously, so you might want to consider starting on something small and switching to a larger bike later for that reason alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.