Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've said to others, and perhaps you've said it too..........

"When you buy a motorcycle," buy it in the middle of Winter. You'll get your best deal!!"

I've heard that said about everything........"buy a lawnmower in Winter; buy a snow blower in July."

I wonder if anyone in here has any experience with this theory, and can speak to the reality of this?

I wonder if there are folks in here who work for a motorcycle Dealership, and can speak to this?

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,190 Posts
I don't know about buying but it's definitely the time to get one worked on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I bought a used snow blower in May for $200 that was priced at $400 years ago.

I just bought a new-to-me bike last month from a dealer. It had already been "marked down" from the summer price but I still managed to get them to throw in a couple of things and got a 40% discount on used (but like-new) saddlebags. They were anxious to reduce inventory over the winter.

I saw LOTS of good prices in the fall. Most people I talked to said they were selling cheap to avoid storage and winterization costs.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I dunno if it holds true anymore. We can shop for most anything 24/7 now. Yet still, the stores change inventory with the season. The lawn equipment and BBQ isles get slim over the winter. Not as many coats on the racks in the summer. Maybe it works out to in season is the jacked up price, and off season is the regular price.

I'm going to try it, though. Hope to buy the new bike in February or March.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Lawnmowers??? LOL, I can drive around town and pick up all the FREE lawnmowers I want during fall cleanup. One year I picked up and fixed up a half dozen, only to find that people don't think an easy-to-start, tuned-up, sharpened, used lawnmower is a bargain, even at $50. They'd rather go pay $179 at Home Depot for a new one. Or $699 for a Honda, which doesn't cut the grass any better.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Right now we actually do have a bike that needs to be sold (1999 Yamaha Virago 1100), and are wondering the same thing. Should we try & sell it now or wait till spring & maybe get a better price? Seeing as we're not in a rush to sell it, I guess waiting for spring will get better buyer response.

·
So long
2,739 Posts

"When you buy a motorcycle," buy it in the middle of Winter. You'll get your best deal!!"

I've heard that said about everything........"buy a lawnmower in Winter; buy a snow blower in July."

I wonder if anyone in here has any experience with this theory, and can speak to the reality of this?

I wonder if there are folks in here who work for a motorcycle Dealership, and can speak to this?

-Soupy
I happened to be at the BMW dealership in July when they put a 50% off sign on their off season gear. I saved a bundle on a pair of Dianese leather pants!! It was too good of a deal to pass up.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's supply and demand.......If you wait till a good winter storm to buy a snowblower, you'll get raped, because they know you want one. In the spring and the summer, they want to rid themselves of last years model if they overbrought, so they are willing to sell for less because there's less people looking in July for a snowblower. I've seen snowblower prices double during the freak feb blizzard two years ago.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I always buy my halloween candy Nov. 1st when it's all 1/2 price and hope there's a few bags left for the following halloween, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't....

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts

-Soupy
This is definitely true and I do it all the time, but not quite in those months. In the middle of winter is not that great for summer related goodies because they're already put away in storage and such. The best time is October when people are having to put the toys away.. they don't want to pay for storage or hog up their yards, garages or sheds etc. You can lowball and many folks will take it just so they don't have to deal with winterizing. But later than November, it's put away and there's no longer an incentive for the seller to dump it at all costs. Same with the winter goodies, starting hunting in late Feb/early march when people have to start putting them away.

A good example is a boat we just sold... my brother had to get rid of it before the snow started to fall. In the spring this boat would have sold for 9 to 10k. He needed it gone, it sold for $7500.

Dan

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm noticing bikes that were more expensive a few months ago are much lower in price by 700 to 1000 dollars in some cases. I wonder if it has to do with the hassle of winterizing and storing and older model bike when the next years models are due in. And as an added note, from my experience working in retail part time, you want to buy a snow blower around March or April. Not so much because of newer models coming in but because of storage space for off season equipment. And things are big and heavy. Another good time for stuff like appliances and electronics is late January-early February. That's when inventory is done and they like to have as little as possible in the stockrooms so they don't have as much to account for. They try to avoid having to order something they don't have so they will try to sell you something they do have for a lower price than what is listed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's supply and demand.......If you wait till a good winter storm to buy a snowblower, you'll get raped, because they know you want one. In the spring and the summer, they want to rid themselves of last years model if they overbrought, so they are willing to sell for less because there's less people looking in July for a snowblower. I've seen snowblower prices double during the freak feb blizzard two years ago.
A few years ago we had 2 really bad snowstorms back to back and the manager was bragging about how it was his idea to ordering in more than the usual number of snow blowers that they store sold. (gee they weatherman said for a week we're going to get snow, what should we do) Withing the next 2 weeks after the storm we started getting a bunch of returns on them with excuses of it wouldn't start, stay running, pick up the snow etc... In reality they all worked just fine but no more snow was expected.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bought a used snow blower in May for $200 that was priced at $400 years ago.

I just bought a new-to-me bike last month from a dealer. It had already been "marked down" from the summer price but I still managed to get them to throw in a couple of things and got a 40% discount on used (but like-new) saddlebags. They were anxious to reduce inventory over the winter.

I saw LOTS of good prices in the fall. Most people I talked to said they were selling cheap to avoid storage and winterization costs.
I've seen 2 bikes I would love to buy either one of but I have been able to resist so far.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I happened to be at the BMW dealership in July when they put a 50% off sign on their off season gear. I saved a bundle on a pair of Dianese leather pants!! It was too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm actually hoping to find a great deal on some off season gear myself. I know I probably won't get it from a shop like Cyclegear as I figured they could just move it to another shop in warmer weather. But a local dealer or shop might be they way to go.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I take advantage of the sales, but never sell for a lower price because of the season. I have my old Honda for sale, but I just winterized it and put it in the barn. If someone wants to pay my price, that's fine, I don't cave to ridiculous offers, it's paid for and costs $26 a year to insure, and $8 to plate. Next spring, the bike will be 41 years old, that only makes it worth more come April, far more than interest would have paid if I took the offer in the fall.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Around the end of August Craigslist starting bulging with bikes for sale here. It was like everyone wanted to get their bike up for sale before the end of the season sales hit, so it was earlier than normal. The woman l bought my bike from just had a wild hair to buy a little Honda Grom and she had to sell my bike to do it. She said she could have waited until Spring and sold it for $4000, but sold it for $3000 now. I have looked at other SV650s since and have yet to find one that was as good of a deal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Cyclcegear puts stuff on sale all the time. Especially Bilt. Never pay full price for Bilt. It'll be half off next month. Sedici gets put on good sales pretty regular, too.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Right now we actually do have a bike that needs to be sold (1999 Yamaha Virago 1100), and are wondering the same thing. Should we try & sell it now or wait till spring & maybe get a better price? Seeing as we're not in a rush to sell it, I guess waiting for spring will get better buyer response.
Yeah but if you don't sell it now you may need to

A) buy a new battery in the spring, tender or not
B) rebuild carbs that choose to gum up over the winter
C) have it in constantly your way in the garage the whole winter
D) invest the time and effort in winterizing you could otherwise avoid..

If it's running, I'd sell it now, take a slight hit$ and avoid all that CAN go wrong during a winter storage. Tell ya what, I'll give ya $350 for it, as is...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Cyclcegear puts stuff on sale all the time. Especially Bilt. Never pay full price for Bilt. It'll be half off next month. Sedici gets put on good sales pretty regular, too.
You got that right. Everything l have bought there has been on sale. Bilt is always 1/2 off, Sedici usually 25% off. And l really love my Sedici boots, they are a good fit, cost me $100

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had Bilt saddle bags. For $50, they were a good deal. I still have a Bilt tank bag. Forget the price. It's very nice. Roomy. Clear pouch. Stays on the tank.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts