Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, I've been looking around for a bike for a while now. Been saving some money. Where I live (Sri Lanka) its not legal to own or ride a bike over 250cc (I know it s**ks)
So most of the 250cc's are very very expensive!, any how.

I saw this bike 250cc Virago online for a fair price. Its a reconditioned bike and registered about 2 weeks ago. So its not new, but looks great! (on picture)
I thought I'd ask some one about the bike, then bam! the guy at the garage said it has a V-Twin-powered engine? which gives alot of engine trouble. Here in my country people have a THING for Honda bikes.

Any how I did some research about the bike, read reviews they seems to be okay (positive). I'm not sure though. My mind was all set to buy this bike, I read it does about 72mpg? can any one confirm that as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought my 2004 Virago last June 2010. I had 4300 miles on it and was well cared. Previous owner did regular maintenance, never dropped/crashed it, never rode it in the rain, never went over 70 mph. The previous owner and I work for the same institution and know how he takes care of his stuff so I didn't argue down his $3,000 price.
I have ridden it hard, ride in rain and have taken it to 85 mph.
I got 78 mpg (US gallons). Now have a windshield and get 82 mpg, if my calculations are right.
Hondas, Yamahas and other Japanese bikes have a good reputation of being well-built and have a good repair record (if well cared for and not abused).
I hope you find a good shop for maintenance and modifications on the island.

Deep Peace.
Thom

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most 250cc cruisers really aren't worth it.

You can pay the same for a Yamaha v-star with a little more power so you wont grow out of it so fast.

·
Motor Gremlin
418 Posts
I just bought a 96 Viago of of Chraigslist (first bike also), but havent had a chnace to take it out due to the winter weather. As soon as it gets warmer I plan to ride it every chance I get!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought my 2004 Virago last June 2010. I had 4300 miles on it and was well cared. Previous owner did regular maintenance, never dropped/crashed it, never rode it in the rain, never went over 70 mph. The previous owner and I work for the same institution and know how he takes care of his stuff so I didn't argue down his $3,000 price.
I have ridden it hard, ride in rain and have taken it to 85 mph.
I got 78 mpg (US gallons). Now have a windshield and get 82 mpg, if my calculations are right.
Hondas, Yamahas and other Japanese bikes have a good reputation of being well-built and have a good repair record (if well cared for and not abused).
I hope you find a good shop for maintenance and modifications on the island.

Deep Peace.
Thom
Thanks for the info,
Wow I didnt know it can do 82mpg. thats pretty good

Yeah I'll be looking for some local garages. I have a few friends who are "bike geeks"

@starguard Have fun! :) glad we dont have winter here :p :71baldboy:

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Most 250cc cruisers really aren't worth it.

You can pay the same for a Yamaha v-star with a little more power so you wont grow out of it so fast.
You obviously didn't read his post. In his country (Sri Lanka), anything over 250cc is illegal.

A V-star/Virago 250 would be an excellent bike. Are Kawasaki Ninja's available there? If so, that would be the best option (most powerful 250cc bike) if its reasonably priced.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You obviously didn't read his post. In his country (Sri Lanka), anything over 250cc is illegal.

A V-star/Virago 250 would be an excellent bike. Are Kawasaki Ninja's available there? If so, that would be the best option (most powerful 250cc bike) if its reasonably priced.
Hurr durr you're right.

a virago 250 is the way to go then :biggrin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah I was looking for a Kawasaki Ninja at start, since its rare in SL I had to give up on it. Not many have it so the maintenance will be a problem. So far I have seen only 1 Kawasaki Ninja available online (very old model).

I'll be going to see the bike on Saturday, hopefully I'll be riding it back home :).
I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Banned
185 Posts
i tell this to every new rider. if you're going to buy your first bike, atleast buy one within the 750cc to 900cc ranger. anything lower and you grow out of and get bored of to quickly. plus lets just say you buy a 650 or lower,,you wont have the power to keep up with the rest of us and we're not gonna wait around for you, and when you try to re-sell it you're going to find you wont get what you paid for it. so buy something that has enough power and that you'll keep for a while. i know plenty of guys that still ride 750's and 900's. dont worry about speed,,the bike will only go as fast as you make it,,you're in control of the throttle!

·
4,672 Posts
i tell this to every new rider. if you're going to buy your first bike, atleast buy one within the 750cc to 900cc ranger. anything lower and you grow out of and get bored of to quickly. plus lets just say you buy a 650 or lower,,you wont have the power to keep up with the rest of us and we're not gonna wait around for you, and when you try to re-sell it you're going to find you wont get what you paid for it. so buy something that has enough power and that you'll keep for a while. i know plenty of guys that still ride 750's and 900's. dont worry about speed,,the bike will only go as fast as you make it,,you're in control of the throttle!
For the love of god, do people not even READ the posts anymore??

HE LIVES IN SRI LANKA! ANYTHING OVER 250CC IS ILLEGAL. HE CANNOT GET ANYTHING LARGER!

Where I live (Sri Lanka) its not legal to own or ride a bike over 250cc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the love of god, do people not even READ the posts anymore??

HE LIVES IN SRI LANKA! ANYTHING OVER 250CC IS ILLEGAL. HE CANNOT GET ANYTHING LARGER!
Lol! thanks for that :p

@DarkHelmet yeah I get your point, I would LOVE to buy some thing that range.

Maybe I'll just have to get out of this island to own a bike like that. :eek:

automart.lk/uservehicle/19305a.jpeg
(I cant post pics here till 15 posts)
This is the bike I'm gonna buy. I did a test drive today, very smooth. It has a nice sound as well. He has modified the exhaust to one pipe. The pipe above is just for the show. I dont think its gonna cause any trouble later on?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lol! thanks for that :p

@DarkHelmet yeah I get your point, I would LOVE to buy some thing that range.

Maybe I'll just have to get out of this island to own a bike like that. :eek:

automart.lk/uservehicle/19305a.jpeg
(I cant post pics here till 15 posts)
This is the bike I'm gonna buy. I did a test drive today, very smooth. It has a nice sound as well. He has modified the exhaust to one pipe. The pipe above is just for the show. I dont think its gonna cause any trouble later on?

Wow that's a 250? Looks really beefy for one!

Viragos are amazing bikes you won't have any trouble (aside from the starter but I dont think those have that).

As for the pipes I dont think it'll really do anything other than make it sound more rich.

·
4,672 Posts
I don't think the Virago 250s ever had the starter problems the larger versions did.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah, the Virago 250 bikes are pretty good. Not to mention they are among the coolest looking 250 cruisers. A good bike all around. As for the maintenance I think it was the 535 Virago that had issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts