Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy that is selling a Honda Rebel 300 for 3k and i asked him if he had the title under his name. He said that it was under his company name, basically his name. Could someone explain what that means? Would i have issues trying to register it under my name if i do purchase it? Any help is appreciated. This is in Texas.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
Meet with him at the courthouse and let him explain in person to the county register. There really shouldn’t be a problem. He might have to sign it over in his signature then state ... for such and such business. But both there is the way I’d do it. My wife takes care of this, I’m just taking a crack at this. So don’t take anything I said as law.

Reactions: Osrid

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
It's likely under his company's name for tax reasons. He could write it off, for example, as a business expense if he used it for work purposes. If the bike is in good shape I wouldn't be worried about it. You'll be able to title it as you would if it's in his name. This happens thousands of times a day when rental companies or manufacturers sell their fleet. I would ask what his company does, and if the bike was involved with it in some way. For example, was it a rental bike, or a bike used in motorcycle training courses. That could change how you wheel and deal on the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's likely under his company's name for tax reasons. He could write it off, for example, as a business expense if he used it for work purposes. If the bike is in good shape I wouldn't be worried about it. You'll be able to title it as you would if it's in his name. This happens thousands of times a day when rental companies or manufacturers sell their fleet. I would ask what his company does, and if the bike was involved with it in some way. For example, was it a rental bike, or a bike used in motorcycle training courses. That could change how you wheel and deal on the price.

Thank you for the info and for the good questions to ask. Ill be taking a look at the bike tomorrow, i also called the DMV to verify what i need.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,162 Posts
If he is a legal representative of the company there should not be an issue.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
If he is a legal representative of the company there should not be an issue.
Wot Critter said.
The person must of have authority for the company. Comes under the heading of implied authority. Be it spending, hiring and firing and so on. Some one in every vehicle dealership must be able to sign for the company. Used to be me many years ago. UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,954 Posts
They are only $3,999 new all over the heartland.
Sam:)

·
15,162 Posts
Did you go look at and did you buy it?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,256 Posts
I recently bought a car that had a bank as the titleholder. DMV didn't care, transferred into my name easy peasy. So long as the vehicle's paid off you're good to go.

Reactions: Porky

·
15,162 Posts
Merc, what is going on with your cars? Did you tick someone off?

Reactions: Porky

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
Merc, what is going on with your cars? Did you tick someone off?
I think her bus ticked someone off. The damage just happen cause people don't care. The theft was opportunistic I reckon.

·
15,162 Posts
Okay, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts