Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had one before and like it so much looking to get another 1982 VF750c Magna.

I've a couple questions about buying this bike.

The owner says the lower tank is rusty and the rust has clogged the idle jets. He says anything below 2500 rpm and the bike spits or stalls.
Is this a major problem to fix and also is that the real reason it has low rpm problems.
What is the best way to fix lower tank and, if what current owner says is true, clean low speed jets? Also do I need to remove rear wheel to get to lower/reserve tank?

He says it needs a new battery. I would probably get one any way.

Anything else i should check for such an older bike?

thanks for any all input.

BTW, I really liked my first one.
It was a comfortable ride and way more power than I would ever need , plus comfortable for female passenger too.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Fixing those issues will be a lot of work. The carbs on that bike are somewhat difficult to remove - they just barely come out.

The tank will also have to be removed and cleaned appropriately. There are a lot of ways to do it - I use a toilet bowl cleaner, but you can also buy special products, naval jelly, or phosphoric acid to do the job. Either way you will have to get that rust out of the tank and preferably coat the tank with something like Redkote or Kreem.

I would consider this a non-running project bike from the sounds of it, and it will probably take a fair amount of time and money to make it run well again.

How are the tires?
You'll need decent carb kits.
Battery.
Are the fork seals still tight?
Do the brakes and clutch work? How thick are the pads?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Owner "says" it is just a jet thing!

On my previous Magna I had the bike apart down to the frame. took engine to local Honda dealer for trans repair and painted frame while I had the opportunity.

I know what a BITCH it is getting those carbs out and then putting them BACK in! How do you make a carb go TWO directions at the same time??

Thanks for input and I think you are right this is going to be a project!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
No problem. It probably is the jets, though if the tank has a rust issue the carbs may need a good, deep cleaning.

I had a Sabre which is basically the same engine - only bike I've ever had to use a big pry bar and tie down strap to remove the carbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man to get those carbs, ALL FOUR, back down onto the head throats was a F**king trick! I wd40'ed the rubber throats to death and then you have to push the carbs in two directions at the same time!!
Forward for the front cylinders and backwards for the rear two. I think they should send a little japanese guy(who knows the trick) with every magna JUST for that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about removing the reserve tank? current owner says the rust is in lower reserve tank and rear whell needs to be removed to get to it!
How can/could you tell? Granted that is where fuel pump pumps from but still couldn't rust have filtered down from main tank?

I plan on changing main tank to V65 anyway 3.3 gallons is just not enough for the v45 and the 5+ gallons on a v65 tank is nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually could get 200 miles on one tank (V65) with my other v45 is i didn't dial it on at every stop light!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saw the bike today, not prime in condition, has very little rust, but everything is there, battery is dead so I couldn't hear it run.

I left a minimal deposit contingent upon the Magna starting. It only has 14,000 miles no dents on tank or elsewhere, seals look good, decent tread on the tires and no pitting on the mag wheels. Going back with one of them starter packs to turn it over and again sale or no sale depends on it starting and a little bit of RPM to listen for Cam and/or CCT chatter.

Instead of coating tank buying larger V65 tank to increase fuel/mileage capacity and newer lower tank. New fuel filter a must!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts