Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Anyone know if it's better to buy a new (to me) bike now, since I'm in SC and taxes and stuff will probably be lower... or should I wait 6 months and get one once I'm moved to Oregon. I have no idea what the market is like out there, but down here it's alright.

Shipping shouldn't be a problem as I can either pack the bike with everything else (I'm thinking of something the size of a FZ-07 or 650 GS or KLR 650), so I'm just wondering if the market out there is horrifying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will never buy new again. Let someone else eat the depreciation.
That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. I've owned 2 bikes now and both of them have been unreliable. I'm kind of really, really tired of seeing a beautiful day and thinking "Well, today would be a great day to rebuild the carb! Or maybe figure out what the hell's keeping the bike from running reliably!"

So a new bike kind of appeals just so that I can get out and ride. Or at least a used UJM.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
get on KBB and look at prices for a bike in your zip code then put in an Oregon zip and check the price difference......

I don't know tax rates from state to state, that wouldn't be a determining factor for me.........what would be a determining factor is having to wait 6 mo to ride........that would be November.

·
8,613 Posts
There is NO sales tax on vehicle purchases in Oregon.

Wait until you get there and whatever you do, if you can, buy a NEW bike. You get a factory warranty and you get to break it in yourself and not some Portlandia Hippy who changes his oil with filtered French fry oil to help save the environment. You also get that new bike smell instead of the hippies marijuana brownies, kept in the faux leather carrying case.

Be aware that those same hippies vote every tax increase offered up and that's why the property tax on homes is from 3 to 4% of appraised value, every year. Think about adding that to your mortgage payment.

In the rural area, they do have excellent fried spotted owl in most cafes.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There is NO sales tax on vehicle purchases in Oregon.

Wait until you get there and whatever you do, if you can, buy a NEW bike. You get a factory warranty and you get to break it in yourself and not some Portlandia Hippy who changes his oil with filtered French fry oil to help save the environment. You also get that new bike smell instead of the hippies marijuana brownies, kept in the faux leather carrying case.

Be aware that those same hippies vote every tax increase offered up and that's why the property tax on homes is from 3 to 4% of appraised value, every year. Think about adding that to your mortgage payment.

In the rural area, they do have excellent fried spotted owl in most cafes.

Sam:biggrin:
A bike that I can ride AND smells like french fries? That'd be amazing.

Joking aside though, I am pretty sure I will just get sick of not being able to ride. Also if I do the math, even the 0% sales tax doesn't really make much a difference. And property tax has to be paid regardless, and really isn't much cheaper here. If at all.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Don't equate used with junk.

You may need to be a more informed buyer.

I have bought two of my motorcycles brand new. One I still have it is now 20 years old, and runs better than the day I took it home.

But the bike I purchased last fall is ten years old and runs just as good as either of my new ones did. And I saved a big chunk of change.

Most people see a motorcycle as a luxury item, it is one of the first things to go when in a pinch. That makes for some good used deals if you know what to look for.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I never buy used as my primary ride.

That way I know what was done to it... and what was not.

There are a lot of opinions on what is "ok" to do to a bike, that in my "opinion" should not be done.

Starting with break in, to what fuel, to what is "needed" for a Stage 1 and what fluids to use.

Mu 2 cents.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
What i hate seeing is when them young guys have sportbikes n they bounce them rps off the limiter....like it's a horn...
That's so dumb to do to a engine....
Then they sell it n u wonder after u buy it why ur having issues....
So yes...u do have to be very carefull....

·
Registered
427 Posts
There's the hidden stuff you might not catch during an initial inspection. For instance, it is possible to get the bike home and a few months later you remove the front cog cover and find something like this:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Nice welding job, but it might be hard to pull and replace

1 - 20 of 27 Posts