Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my '06 Suzuki Boulevard c50T for about 2 years now, and recently decided to go test ride some other bikes. Never realised how terribly slow mine is, lol. I have been really looking into the Yamaha Raiders. I went and test rode one and fell in love. There is a 2014 Raider S for sale (from a licensed Yamaha dealer) priced $10,000 with 1 mile on it... A single mile. Seems like a good idea to me, but I don't know if sitting there since 2014 is a good thing. Thoughts?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Seems like a reasonable price? I'd probably try bartering down to like $8k or $9k but that's because I'm a cheapskate. So this is a common issue with cars and bikes that either aren't as popular or the newer model is much better. Or sometimes a dealer will fudge numbers so they can make whatever incentive a manufacturer offers for selling x amount of vehicles. Either way, you have old inventory that is now not sold and if you aren't motivated to move it, it can sit there forever.

How much worry largely depends on how the dealership treated the bike over the past five years. If it was stored well, being maintained during that time? Should just be turn key and ride. However, if this dealership did that latter thing where they fudged numbers to please Yamaha, there could also be a chance the bike is suffering from "lot rot". In that case, you want to check the tires for manufacturing date (depending on manufacturer, shelf life can be 5-10 years), cracking, rotting, or hardening. You'll also want to test the operation of the brakes and the battery (latter of which should not be the original this late in the game) and if the bike was sitting outside of the dealership every operating day all this time, check for possible rust. Having bad tires isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, but it's certainly leverage for negotiation.

So I would examine the bike itself and see if you can find anything obvious. If not, I'd still ask the dealer if it's been taken care of over the past five years. If all is well, ride that sucker home and enjoy it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts