Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best used motorcycle i could get for under 3000$ i was looking at a 2014 ninja 300 abs for 4299$ but alot of people are saying i should get a used cheaper bike if its used i would want something like a 600cc

·
Registered
631 Posts
That would really depend on your goal, which you didn't say much about. Some would favor reliability/cost, but others want comfort, ease of operation and/or performance. Those factors will make a big difference on which bike you get.

Given your youth and inexperience, as others have suggested, you should probably take the BRC before deciding on which bike to get. It's not uncommon for people to decide riding is not for them after taking the class, probably even some people who were gung-ho. There's a lot to riding that you just don't understand until you get some seat time. The course is a lot cheaper than a new bike.

I was in the same boat as you last year before I got my license. I was looking at this bike and that bike, and was ready to plunk down a good chunk of change, but after taking the BRC I realized I had much to learn and a smaller bike would be the best option until I was ready to move up, so I bought a TU250x. It's not a fast bike, but fun to drive fast. It's light and nimble, which makes it forgiving of the mistakes that will inevitably happen. Should I drop it, I know I can pick it up. When I'm ready and if I want, the bigger bikes will be there. I might even keep the TUX as it's a blast to ride and I don't need much.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, finish first that basic riding course and you will learn which perfect for you. You could easily outgrow 300cc and want for higher so maybe look for cheaper ones.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What is a cheap sportsbike thats like a 400cc+
Don't worry about a 600 sport bike for your first bike. All you're doing with that thought pattern is making it more difficult for yourself to really learn to ride and more likely that you will be severely injured or killed due to making a stupid newbie mistake. Those who claim that you will rapidly "outgrow" a 300 sport bike are typically the ones who never really learn to do anything but ride in a straight line. (not all, but most) Stick with your original plan of a ninja 250 or 300 (you can great pricing on a used 250 and sell it later with very little lost) Learn to really ride the thing, and I mean cornering, braking, swerving etc. You will become a much more competent and much safer rider.

And has been previously been mentioned, take the BRC before you decide on anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is a cheap sportsbike thats like a 400cc+
Don't worry about a 600 sport bike for your first bike. All you're doing with that thought pattern is making it more difficult for yourself to really learn to ride and more likely that you will be severely injured or killed due to making a stupid newbie mistake. Those who claim that you will rapidly "outgrow" a 300 sport bike are typically the ones who never really learn to do anything but ride in a straight line. (not all, but most) Stick with your original plan of a ninja 250 or 300 (you can great pricing on a used 250 and sell it later with very little lost) Learn to really ride the thing, and I mean cornering, braking, swerving etc. You will become a much more competent and much safer rider.

And has been previously been mentioned, take the BRC before you decide on anything.
yeha i want to get a 250 but i think in like a year ill want something more and i dont got money for that really so idk.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
yeha i want to get a 250 but i think in like a year ill want something more and i dont got money for that really so idk.
Seriously dude. I know lots of people who have started on a 250 Ninja and sold it a year or so later for almost what they paid for it. They rest had so much fun with them they kept them. If you can sell it for almost what you've paid for it AND get a year or so of riding experience what are you out?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You can find a decent 250 ninja for $1500 all day long, and a year from now you can sell it for $1500 all day long. Besides, motorcycling is not cheap. If you're looking for a cheap hobby, l would take up walking :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can find a decent 250 ninja for $1500 all day long, and a year from now you can sell it for $1500 all day long. Besides, motorcycling is not cheap. If you're looking for a cheap hobby, l would take up walking :)
Lowest i can find around me is like 3000$ in houstom texas area

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Looks like dirt? I don't see a scratch on it anywhere, although sure an old bike will have some scuffs here & there.

Remember this isn't the bike you keep forever it's just something to learn on for a year or so.. don't be extremely picky. Just get a reliable bike that fits you OK

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yea but its that price for a reason
What does that mean? Yes the bike is older & has miles on it, but if it's been maintained well then it can still be a decent reliable starter bike. And remember that is the ASKING price, you might be able to talk him down.

Like I said, I found that bike in under a minute.. and it looks like Hawk found you a bunch more. There are tons of bikes out there, and "online shopping" is just one option. Look in the local papers, and especially nearby dealerships selling used bikes.

I know you probably have your heart & enthusiasm set on a shiny brand new ABS equipped bike, but honestly you really don't want to LEARN on a new machine.. you're heart will SINK the 1st time the bike tips over off the sidestand or topples over during a low speed turn, and that beautiful new bodywork now has a huge scrape in it :( maybe also a busted mirror or a lever too.. The cost to fix "topple damage" far exceeds the cost difference of reselling a cheap used learner bike a year later.

Buy your dream bike after you've got some riding miles & experience :)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yeah guys, give it up. Sounds like a typical noob who just wants us to justify his need for more bike than he should get. Sad really, another statistic waiting to happen that drives up cost for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
7,637 Posts
New guys

Yeah guys, give it up. Sounds like a typical noob who just wants us to justify his need for more bike than he should get. Sad really, another statistic waiting to happen that drives up cost for the rest of us.
Like the kid that wanted an R6 because he would get bored with a smaller bike.
I have been advocating smaller bikes for beginners forever.
And I am riding an 83 XS400 Yamaha for the winter.

There is a problem at the track IMO. Guys start out racing on fast bikes, and do not learn the basics. Happened this year at The Ridge. A real squirrel on a big Ducati. Inevitable happened, and I predicted it. Wrecked rider and bike. And may not have learned anything.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Like the kid that wanted an R6 because he would get bored with a smaller bike.
I have been advocating smaller bikes for beginners forever.
And I am riding an 83 XS400 Yamaha for the winter.

There is a problem at the track IMO. Guys start out racing on fast bikes, and do not learn the basics. Happened this year at The Ridge. A real squirrel on a big Ducati. Inevitable happened, and I predicted it. Wrecked rider and bike. And may not have learned anything.

Unkle Crusty*
I'm right there with you Uncle Crusty. Seems like everyone wants to go from 0 to expert without putting in the time and effort to learn. We see it all the time here in the mountains. People get a brand new 600 RR and go try to hit the twisties. next thing you know they pile it up, take out a few trees or worse yet die. Or you see them sitting on their brand new 600 at the local hangout with 2 inch chicken strips and less than 100 miles on the bike that's 2 years old. But hey, I guess they look cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts