Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at a bike and the seller is insisting on a wire transfer. I really don’t want to have to pay the fee and I have never dealt with anybody as a buyer or seller, insisting on inly that form of payment. Has anyone ever bought a motorcycle this way?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Uh, no. Face to face, cash only is more common on private sales, I would suspect. Does the seller have an explanation that sounds reasonable and logical to you?

If not, I'd say thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
I personally wouldn't do that but that's me. If I cant sit on it and have all the correct legal paperwork in hand I'm not interested.

·
Registered
775 Posts
A friend bought an Airstream and found the seller via Ebay. My friend made a deposit via Ebay's online banking service, (Paypal), and then made the remainder of the payment face to face, in cash, when he went to pick up the trailer.

This offered my friend reasonable security against getting ripped off, and the seller was fine with it, but Ebay wouldn't acknowledge that the payment had been made. They have no mechanism to register a payment made through any non-electronic means that isn't linked to their process. This was going to cause problems for both the buyer and seller, even though they both had what they wanted, because they both looked to Ebay, to have not gone through with the deal. They finally settled things with a service rep and 1/2 hour on the phone, but it was a hassle.

I'd be very leery of paying in advance for something that might not be there when I arrived, or might be in seriously different condition than what I expected. I'd be willing to send a small payment in advance, but I'd want to see and examine the machine first hand, and check the VIN and title, before I'd make the bulk of the payment. I would however, make the payment using an app on my phone, while I was live and in person, if that's what the seller wanted.

There are more scams these days than can be imagined. I've seen a bike for sale on Craigslist at less than half of market cost, and the same bike, same pictures, claiming to be at four different location around the state. Thank God, I wasn't taken in, mainly because the guy never returned my phone calls.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
If the seller is a major brand dealership, Honda, Harley, BMW, something like that, it may not be unusual. But if it's Freddie's Fast Bikes or Stumpy's, something like that, I would be very cautious.

You don't want to pay for a bike, then when you see it in person, you don't like it. Now they have your money and getting it back could be difficult.

·
Registered
775 Posts
How about that one where they get your money, and then report the bike stolen? That can work even after you have it in your possession.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Wire transfer for a used motorcycle? I would say no. I've done PayPal before (PayPal is happy to refund your money if you get scammed) but if a wire is demanded I keep on looking. :)

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
Same here.
Long distance deal?
Sounds like a scam to me.
Don't do it.
Face to face cash or nothing.
You've had enough trouble getting this far.
Don't invite more by losing your money in a scam.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
This is a long distance sale. He believes it’s more secure.
I agree with the others - seller securely gets money, with no recourse for you if he disappears. I've bought a bike and other items long-distance using PayPal (eBay wasn't involved), and it is secure for buyer and seller, IMO. All he needs is an email address and a bank account.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know sellers are afraid of PayPal chargebacks. I've gotten scammed that way, myself. A buyer experiences remorse, breaks the brand new item you sent and eBay and PayPal side with the buyer. Or, the buyer claims it was an unauthorized charge. I've had that situation too but I was not responsible for anything, in that case because I proved that the item was delivered to the correct person. I can understand a seller not being comfortable with PayPal but you're all correct, a wire transfer gives me no protection. I've seen pictures but so what? How do you know it even belongs to that person until you see the VIN and the title?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hold up,...have you actually seen the bike in person.
If not, don't transfer any money.
Actually, don't transfer any money anyway.
Pay in cash after the pink slip is signed over to you.

Mils, with respect, you seem to gravitate to bike deals that are not in your best interest.
Can't you just find a nice used bike in your neighborhood that you can pay cash for?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you saw it on Craigslist or someplace like that, don't do it, its probably a scam, especially if the price is a great deal. I've listed and sold many bikes over the years on Craigslist and Cycletrader and purchased there too. There are a lot of scammers out there, more than you would believe. I'm in Florida and just sold a bike on Cycletrader to a guy in Tennessee. I sent him all the information that he requested and he sent me a cashiers check for $9000 dollars. I wasn't willing to release the bike until the check cleared. He arraigned shipping and the shipper is picking up the bike on Wednesday. You have to CYA in any vehicle transaction these days.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
Hold up,...have you actually seen the bike in person.
If not, don't transfer any money.
Actually, don't transfer any money anyway.
Pay in cash after the pink slip is signed over to you.

Mils, with respect, you seem to gravitate to bike deals that are not in your best interest.
Can't you just find a nice used bike in your neighborhood that you can pay cash for?
Ah! The pink slip!
When you go to look at the bike, take the pink slip in hand
and visually compare the serial number on the slip with the
number on the bike!
Make sure that THIS pink slip actually belongs to THIS bike!

I agree with Nancy. You seem to latch on to deals that are too good to be true.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
669 Posts
There are just too many bikes for sale today. It's just not worth it to take the chance when you can always get one local. Be patient and don't make an emotional based decision.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m not going to do it. However, there really aren’t many decent used bikes for sale around here. There are motorcycles for sale but nothing I’d be interested in and I’ve been looking for months.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
I’m not going to do it. However, there really aren’t many decent used bikes for sale around here. There are motorcycles for sale but nothing I’d be interested in and I’ve been looking for months.
Mils, please fill in your profile so that we know where "around here" is.
Your location will come up on the left under your avatar.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Knowing your general location in the country, there might be someone on the forum considering selling what you're looking for!

Maybe, maybe not. Or someone not too far from you that knows of a bike in their local area for sale and could give you a heads up on it.

Porky is not that far from me, but he's outside my "local" shopping area. If I were looking for a particular type of bike, and he said here it is, I think it would be worth my time to go look. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I purchased my '13 FJR through PayPal from a gentleman with a motorcycle rental business in another state. I paid a deposit and he had it titled in my name, bill of sale, supporting maintenance paperwork emailed to me for review, then priority mailed the paperwork to me before the bike arrived from shipping. I paid for the FJR in full before it shipped. I chose the shipper but he was in contact with the shipper the most (first shipper was a no show) and everything went well.

I sold my Harley Low Rider to a gentleman in another state. He had to have my bike and paid me half by check to hold the bike and paid the total two weeks before he came to pick the bike up. I accepted a personal check from him both times and the check cleared without a problem.

Both times honestly I just had a good feeling and rapport with each. But if I were to to it again (and probably will) I would take time off from work and fly or drive there to make sure the bike was good to go and ride it back home like one of the four pale horseman of the Apacalypse.

2013 FJR1300 purchased May 2018

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I purchased a whole car through PayPal once! Seller was in Pennsylvania and wanted to get me the title so I could get plates for the car before heading out. I gave him his $3k, he gave me the title, I got plates, then I flew out to rural PA to drive my loot home. :)

Only time I've ever had a bad PayPal experience was through eBay, and that's more of eBay's Buyer Protection thing than PayPal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts