Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first motorcycle and I am a complete beginner , my choices are either suzuki gs500f 2007 , yamaha yzf-r125 2012 , honda cbr250r 2011 or kawasaki zzr600 2006 what do you think guys what is the most suitable motorcycle for me ?

P.s I am buying a motorcycle for daily commuting specifically for college .

W

·
0 Posts
My first bike was a 04 gs500f. It was a great bike to learn on. Parts are cheap and easily available. My opinion it was a great beginners bike.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
You didn't say where you are from. Conditions matter. Kinda late in the year to just begin riding, unless you don't have "Winter" to contend with.

The "most suitable" bike for you is subjective.

It's interesting that you include a 250cc amoung your choices. They quickly frustrate many because of lack of power. As a "round the city" bike, they'd be fine, but once you get out on the open road, you'll soon want to go "bigger."

·
Registered
743 Posts
Kinda late in the year to just begin riding, unless you don't have "Winter" to contend with.

Not really Soup. When I got my license it was from the first available BRC I could sign up for. That happened to be end of September and I rode to the end of October or beginning of November. Then had to park it for the winter.
So it could just be circumstantial that someone would begin this late in the season in the northern climes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. I am 18 and want something under $3000. I am not going to be going more than 100 miles in any one sitting. I would also rather enjoy country roads than interstates.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,442 Posts
100 miles a day on a 3000 mile trip? That is a 30 day trip.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
There are a number of bizarre stories out there, of bikers who chose some rather interesting bikes for nomadic journeys. I suppose the more unusual you choose, the more interesting your adventure will be!

If it were "me," I would choose a bike that I'm more likely to find parts for, when I'm in the middle of nowhere, and I'd give myself enough storage and comfort as I could. The "ride" will be that much more appreciated when not under-powered, and when adequately supplied.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Yes. I am 18 and want something under $3000. I am not going to be going more than 100 miles in any one sitting. I would also rather enjoy country roads than interstates.
100 per day is doable on a smaller bike. When you stretch it out for longer distances the little bike can get uncomfortable but with enough grit and determination they can be done too.

·
11,442 Posts
I once did a 600 mile trip on a CB160, it took me 3 days, I was 19. Just me and my seabag strapped on the back.

I am now in my 70's and do 300-400 miles a day on a much larger touring bike. I could do more if needed but I prefer to keep it around 300. Last year I did 450 mostly highway not my favorite way to ride but necessary at the time

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Yeah, you can definitely put up with more discomfort and crap when you're younger and don't know any better. When you're older it gets harder to deal with some of the discomforts and stuff.

At least that's what I've heard. Is it true, Critter? Is it harder when you're older?

·
11,442 Posts
I think it depends on what you are talking about Eye.

More aches and pains as you get older. My back is my problem, I have to stop every couple of hours and stretch. The 450 miler had me laying on the floor for a couple of hours. Guess I should have taken better care of myself when I was younger.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Working out can help too. You can't do anything much about injuries and so forth, but sometimes if you build up the muscle for better support around an injury or joint it can help. It also helps me to keep my "riding muscles" in shape. Not body-building, mind you, but just keeping some of those aches and pains away for awhile longer. Every little bit helps.

Our humor is reaching new levels of subtlety....

·
American Legion Rider
18,510 Posts

More aches and pains as you get older. My back is my problem, I have to stop every couple of hours and stretch. The 450 miler had me laying on the floor for a couple of hours. Guess I should have taken better care of myself when I was younger.
There have been other threads talking about limited daily mileage as we age. I don't recall pain management being discussed in those but it's certainly a factory. Heck, what used to be a fun 300 mile day for me is now near torture. This getting older just plain sucks.:surprise: Even workouts hurt now.:surprise::surprise:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts