Motorcycle Forum banner

Buying a bike as soon as I can.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  0949er 
#1 ·
I am new to the site, obviously. I am currently in Afghanistan on my first deployment. I have been saving my money and want to buy a motorcycle. I will obviously take the required classes and get the required licensing done to ride my bike on post. But, I don't know that kind of bike I should get. I have been researching it for almost a month and I am torn between a cruiser, Classic Cool, and a sport bike, new age. I will most likely be able to put a large downpayment on a new bike, or pay for an old bike outright in cash. I dont know where to go with my money though. I expect used cruisers are less likely to have been treated as roughly as a used sport bike. But I am also having trouble finding a used cruiser that I like. Sports bikes, within my price range, dont really have many differences but a big thing is that I am an inexperienced rider. I have rode quads before and small dirt bikes before but never a street bike. A friend of mine owns a Harley of some sort and I really like the name, and a few of their bikes but I think that Harley might not be for me, especially for a first. I joined the site to learn more and to absorb some of the knowledge here.
Btw I am 5'10''-6'0'' depending on the day and who is measuring lol
I am currently 160 working on gaining weight (muscle hopefully lol)

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum man! Good information here! This is where I got started too!

If you dont mind me asking, how much cash do you have to spend on a bike? I think depending on how much you "REALLY" have will at least help you narrow your search down a bit.

If you are a new rider, I would STRONGLY suggest not putting down ANYTHING on ANY bike. I would 100% most defiantly buy a used bike, cash if you got it.

I bought a "used" brand new, never dropped bike because I thought I was the man... and guess what??? A u-turn ate my turn signal. So dont buy your dream bike until you have warmed up a full season at least :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.