Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Or maybe just buy a fast bike instead? I follow a lot of Honda NC700/750 discussions online because I have one. One of the most common questions is "I just bought one. How do I make it faster?" Uh, trade it for an MT-07, SV650 or Z650? It's not a track bike. It's a 50 hp bike with a 6,500 rev limit. It's not fast, it has a lot of low-end torque like a cruiser except it's nimble & comfortable. Not everyone's ideal bike but it's my ideal bike. Yes I like to tinker but I'm not going to spend thousands to compensate for a bad decision. I see it on the scooter forums too. People buy a 50 & burn up 2-3 motors trying to make it run like a 125 which would have been cheaper in the end. Nothing wrong with free will if you can afford to experiment, I'm just throwing out some logic FWIW.

Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
Some people like the impossible. As for the 50cc scooter, they may be trying to skirt around regulations. Least ways here, 50cc or less requires no tag.

But I agree, buy the right tool for the job. My Mom, God rest her soul, used pliers on everything 馃檪

Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
It's the same story for people who buy 4 cylinder Honda's and then try to tear it down seats and all making it a viable track car; putting in thousands of dollars to achieve their almighty 300 horsepower; maybe 400 if you picked up one of their "200 horsepower vtec performance" engines. I don't understand it nor will I ever.

Registered
I participate in a forum for the Honda PCX150. I bought one of those scooters for the fun of it, for running local errands, etc. and understand the limitations of a scooter with a 149cc engine. But on this forum there are numerous threads devoted to trying to make this thing faster than it was ever meant to go. Maybe its just a normal response but it doesn't make much sense. If you wanted a scooter and want it to go faster than the 65 mph that it can do, buy a bigger scooter. With motorcycles, I have seen folks spend a fortune trying to squeeze a few more horses out of the engine instead of trading in the bike for a more powerful one. Each to their own.

Reactions: Juan_Banjovy

On The Road Again!
These people need to buy bigger "power bands" for their engines.
I've heard that red power bands are the fastest!!
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
These people need to buy bigger "power bands" for their engines.
I've heard that red power bands are the fastest!!
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Or a can of compression, but only available at select stores.
My XS400 is a classic example, of more power. New it hit 100 with a skinny kid on it, tucked in. 45 HP at 10,000 revs.
Best I have done is 92, sitting up with a bunch of junk bolted on. 400 cc is a critical size for insurance rates here.
To go faster, a slightly bigger bike like an SV650 fixes it. But I need the 400. I could spend a bunch of $$ on a big bore kit. Add the work, and it may cost $1,000. But I still have an 83 XS400.
Or, for $3,000, I could get a 49 HP Kawasaki Ninja 400. AND, it has better brakes, suspension, handling, fuel injection. And it will do 100. What would you guys do? And why I ride the XS400: It is the winter bike. If it ends up in the ditch I will not get upset. I own faster bikes.
Meanwhile I have been dreaming about more power for the boat. 16 HP now. 25 HP in my dreams, and about $8,000. UK

Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
I think this video would be really appropriate here hahaha. Some people say racing really fast stuff against other really fast stuff is fun and all, but racing something sluggishly slow against something else that's just as slow is even more fun then the fast stuff apparently.

Go to YouTube and type in: "1/4 mile scooter drags," and watch these little speed demons outrun your superbike at least for the first 1/8 mile!

The aftermarket is HUGE for HOP UP parts for scooters from 49cc's up! GOOGLE it.

Sam:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts