Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding to work today and felt a little bumpy ride and I could hear this scratching noise. It didn't sound good. The last couple times I had heard a strange sound when I was riding it turned out to be the car in front of me. However, I could feel this one. It felt as if something was stuck in my tire or as if there was a stick in my wheel. I pulled over to examine the bike but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I know a little about cars but I don't know anything about motorcycle mechanics. I put my Honda on the center-stand and examined both the front and rear tires for any irregularities. The noise wasn't constant so I guess I was in denial that there was something wrong and since there was nothing else I could do, I got back on the bike and took off. The noise and vibration reoccurred so I pulled over to the side of the street and decided to have the bike towed to my local repair shop. Unfortunately, I was going to be late for work. But I have read through enough of this forum to know that if you feel something weird in you're ride to stop and have it checked out immediately. My initial thought was it was the clutch or something in the transmission because I could hear it when I changed gears but like I said, I know nothing about bikes. The mechanic called back and said it was a busted bearing. That made sense, I had a busted bearing in the drive-shaft of my pick-up before and it was a similar sensation. I'm not exactly sure but I'm assuming it is the front tire. I will go to the shop tomorrow to see what the problem is personally.

I'm just curious. 1) What are the risks in riding with a busted bearing?
and 2) Should I post this here or in "Bike Stories" ?

Honda CB 400

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi,

driving with a busted bearing can cause all kind of problems depending on how gone it is.

It can cause your axle to wear unevenly and worst case scenario, it could heat up so much that it could seize, and you can imagine the rest if that were to happen when you are riding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warning Signs?

Thanks,

Yea, I can imagine a seized front tire, even at 30mph, could be the end of your ride.

I'm assuming that bearings go bad from normal wear-and-tear especially if one is going over a lot of pot holes and such. I went to the mechanic today and he said that water got into the bearing. I'm not really sure why that is a bad thing. I mean, the bearing is exposed. Shouldn't it be rain proof?

On another note: It was pretty scary riding and hearing that noise and feeling that vibration. Luckily, I was a in a safe place that I could pull over and leave my bike for the tow-truck. And I was able to take the train the rest of the way to work. ARE there any warning signs that a bearing will have to be replaced soon? Or do you just ride it until it starts shaking?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is replace them every 20/25 K miles but again it could happen sooner or they could also last longer. All depends on which conditions and what kind of abuse they are put through.

It is strange that water got into them. They are usually packed in grease, so maybe the grease degraded and the bearing started to rust.

I don't know what to look for when checking for bearing wear without removing them. The best I can think of, it to spin the tire and listen for any grinding/squeeking sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts