Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the torments almost every US citizen has to endure is dealing with the DMV. I don't care what state you live in -- DMV transactions are enough of a taste of Hell to make you hie yourself to the nearest church. Case in Point -- obtaining the REAL ID.

In case you're not familiar with the REAL ID, it is an "enhanced" driver's license or State-issued ID that will be required in every state no later than October of 2020. Exactly how it is enhanced is anybody's guess, except I note mine -- FINALLY obtained today on my 3rd try -- has a barcode on the back and a gold star on the front. Without it, you will not be able to board any airline flight or enter any government building after October.

To obtain it, I had to supply: 1.Social Security card; 2. Birth certificate or current passport; 3. Two items verifying my address. These can be any two items mailed to you within the past 60 days showing your address; 4. Documentation of any legal name change -- this one affects mostly women who have been married or divorced, as they must show marriage license(s) and divorce decree(s) reflecting any name change.

I thought I had it all, but found one of my address-verification documents didn't qualify because I didn't bring the envelope it came in -- even though the envelope didn't have my address on it, just a window showing my address printed on the enclosure -- and it came from the Office of the State Treasurer! Turns out, though, that my current driver's license would suffice -- even though WHEN I GOT IT ALL I HAD TO DO WAS FILL OUT MY ADDRESS, WHICH I DID NOT HAVE TO VERIFY! In other words, it didn't verify a damned thing. All of this, plus $25, and I was blessed with the new DL with gold star, bar code and, for all I know, a chip that allows me to be tracked wherever I go.

I have a female friend who has been struggling for months to get this done. She was born in PA -- had to apply for a copy of her birth certificate. First marriage was in PA -- had to apply for a marriage license copy. Divorced in NC -- had to apply for her final divorce decree copy. Married the second time in SC -- had to apply for the marriage license. Divorced the second time in SC and, thank God, still had that decree.

This is all done in the name of security -- I guess, to trap anyone who might want to plant a bomb. Instead, it's creating millions more people who leave the DMV wishing they had a bomb to plant!

I

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think I probably have everything I would need to get a Real ID, however I have no intentions of obtaining one, have no need for one, so I can happily avoid the any hassles that some other folks have faced! Thank You for the heads up!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I probably have everything I would need to get a Real ID, however I have no intentions of obtaining one, have no need for one, so I can happily avoid the any hassles that some other folks have faced! Thank You for the heads up!!
Just be sure you never have to go in to a federal government building after October (Social Security office, court house, etc.), or fly anywhere. I rarely fly, but in my work I have to go in to federal court houses on a frequent basis. One gentleman there today is a law enforcement officer, and he was getting his because he has to go in to court houses, too -- and his badge will no longer get him in after the deadline (unless he's the defendant)!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I understand about the work thing. Retirement has it's privileges, I no longer need to attend federal or county court or other federal buildings and the very last thing I want during travel is to venture into an airport to board an airplane. I don't have anything against the Real ID, I just don't need it so I can avoid the $25 every 8 years. On the other hand I will consider myself lucky to have another eight years. Actually I consider myself lucky I made it this long!!

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
You will have to get one the next time you have to renew your license.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
We have the advanced ID drivers licence here, which also serves as the medical card. I had everything needed. No worries. But they wanted my old medical card, which was gold for a senior. I need to show the ferry people the gold card to get my free ride ( just me, not the bike ) Monday to Thursday. No gold card creates a delay at the ticket counter. So I told the DMV ( Motor vehicle branch ) that I would not surrender my gold card, and BC Ferries loves me. If they had of put a gold part on the new licence card, they could have avoided the problem.

Otherwise, the way to go IMO, is a NEXUS card. Trusted traveler. Homeland Security, RCMP and every other spy outfit, gets to check you out, on their time. You pass, you get the card, you go in the fast lane at the border, at the airport, at customs. It is great.

Used it on Sunday. Bar in Blaine WA, watch the Seahawks, go shopping, back in BC, go to bar, watch the Grey Cup game.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Fortunately I had to go through all that hassle to obtain a passport years ago and have maintained it. And have had a full background check as well. So I'm set. I think. I guess time will tell.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
In MD, I was told that if I did not have my real ID by the 18th of December my license would not be valid even though I still had a year on it. I went in and got mine. It didn't cost anything to me, but a half hour of the clerks time had to cost the state.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Sounds like the gubmint is going to create a whole new class of criminals.

Them rotten bas,...politicians!
You can bet your bottom dollar that there are a couple of groups that will claim it's racist or discrimination to change the license. More trying to keep them down or suppressed. I'd bet money on it.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I think they have failed at their job so now they're going to make it harder for citizens to access the things they need and want.
They may be trying to limit those that have no right to U.S. taxpayer paid benefits, but instead of weeding those people out, they make more hoops for citizens to jump through.
It probably won't be long before an illegal alien can get that pretty little gold star on their driver's license easier than someone born in, say Liberal, Kansas.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is all done in the name of security -- I guess, to trap anyone who might want to plant a bomb. Instead, it's creating millions more people who leave the DMV wishing they had a bomb to plant!
Definitely have to add to this topic:

>Don't know a single person that managed a gold star on the first try. I went for mine just last week, FAILED...did not have the state issued copy of my birth certificate; I had the hospital issued version. NO WHERE did it say to bring the state issued version...all instructions say "a copy of your birth certificate"....I don't have, and have never seen, the state version of my certificate. And to add to the mess, my wife was born on a military base outside of the USA...it no longer exists...no idea where here birth certificate is or if it ever even existed many decades ago...oh the fun.
>No gold star = no government building entrance?...lol...can't wait to show up for jury duty without my gold star...bet the idiots didn't think of that.
>So, the ~10 to 20,000,000 people in this country illegally, what about them? Will California give them the gold star anyway; you can get a California ID and drivers license with little proof of who you are...
>>TSA at the Chicago airport...remember that...4 hr lines...everyone missing flights. ~1000 people crowded together like cattle to slaughter while the TSA tries to "keep everyone safe" by keeping bombs/weapons off the plane...oh the stupidity. Same idiocy locally..performance theater searching everyone to avoid a "shooter" inside the building, creating a huge crowd OUTSIDE the building...perfect target of people packed like fruitcake for a nutjob with a weapon.
>>Local Federal building, past job took me there routinely, always entered through the back door which has been a public entrance since the place opened in the 1950's. After the towers fell, I had to go to the front door...first time I tried to use the back door, I kid you not, a guy that looked to be 80 years old and a 100 pounds was "guarding" the rear entrance and forbid me from entering. Seriously? A 10 year old could take him down...ok, I go to the front door and there's 5 big guys with guns checking bags...I know criminals can be pretty stupid, but apparently "security experts" are pretty dumb too...that rear door is a huge hole the system.
>>Our local airport is like fort knox...except for the trucks that bring food for the planes, a simple wooden arm blocks the entrance and no guard...local media road along and they documented ZERO security...they could have loaded anything they wished onto a plane through those prepacked food carts. This was recent, so that security hole has existed for decades...not sure if it's patched yet. Also at the airport, they had an overlook at the edge of the property where you could park and watch the planes...no more, it's a "security threat"...now you have to park across the street (on private property) and watch...which I'm sure puts projectile weapons out of usable range...lol...I'm pretty sure a sling shot could deliver a rock to the 5mph taxying planes that roll by...OMG are were doomed as a nation.
>>The TSA in Las Vegas. I'm a minimalist...my wallet is 1/4" thick and flips open...credit card, cash, ID, that's it...the TSA went through my wallet like I had shotgun in there...the guy was dead focused too...looking it over real good...peaking in the empty pockets...I though wow...to seriously think my wallet posed a threat while my wifes bag was just lightly scrutinized...and don't get me started on my kids being forced to remove their dollar store flip-flops for inspection.
>>Finally...when one of my parents passed away, I learned Social Security has a $250 "death benefit"...lol..oh well, $250 is $250 right...they wanted all kinds of documentation to issue that "benefit"....for DECADES, they mailed out a "benefit check"....easily ~$200,000+ worth of checks...and now they wan't extensive proof of identity to mail that last $250 check?...sigh.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had to go thru that nonsense a couple of years ago. DD214 (military papers), SSI card, Medicare card, address verification, driving record (I still hold my commercial license), birth cert. and a couple of other things. Made me kind of upset that after years and years, I now had to prove that I was an American Citizen. And being the Smart A## that I am, I told the clerk that I had a note from my Mom stating that I was a real person. Did he want to see it? YES! I had to tell him I didn't have a note from my Mom.

It has nothing to do with security. It's just another way for the Govt. to keep track of you.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I t could be good or bad but it might have one unintended consequence, It could clear a lot of illegal motor voters off the voting rolls if they hold all the states to strict standards.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I t could be good or bad but it might have one unintended consequence, It could clear a lot of illegal motor voters off the voting rolls if they hold all the states to strict standards.
You need the star to fly and enter federal buildings..nothing about voting...a California issued ID, attained with little/no proof of whom you are, will work just fine for voting...I would bet the farm on that....because the 100 Democrats running against Trump, and the Democrats running the House, would be all over "repealing" the Gold Star requirement if it was going to stop anyone from voting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A gold star on a piece of plastic proves who you are...it doesn't determine what you believe or your intent now or in the future...$1000 says that if the 911 hijackers had needed an ID with a gold star to get on those planes, the US, Saudi, and Israeli governments would have coordinated their effort to get them ID's with those stars...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an appointment to get my Real ID in February.
There is a three month wait to get an appointment, and even then, you have to wait in line for over an hour.

Someone told that if the expiration date on your current license is not going to expire within two months of applying for Real ID, you will have to retake your written driving test. That's the case for me.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Also, be very careful that your M1 is on your Real ID before you accept it.
Otherwise you'll be forced to retake your written and riding test for your motorcycle endorsement.
Given to you by some DMV worker.

I hate the DMV. It's the poster child for government run ANYTHING.

·
Registered
319 Posts
"I hate the DMV. It's the poster child for government run ANYTHING. "

Here's a "fast service" tip.
1. Find out what time they close.
2. Find out what time they stop issuing "numbers" for you to take and wait your turn; generally an hour before closing.
3. Get there ~15min before they stop issuing service numbers.

At my DMV...they move at a SNAILS PACE...but when closing time approaches, and they know when the last ticket is serviced they are done, you should see has fast they move...double speed at least. I figured this out by accident but it's a great strategy for fast service.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Illegal alien's surely won't have to go through this, right? How unfair to make them leap another hurdle :)

Our DMV in town is a model of efficiency, with very helpful and friendly local folks working there and taking a number is rarely required and the wait is never longer than 10 minutes. (Carthage, Missouri)

In Southern California, land of my birth and until 1999, a normal DMV experience took maybe 2 hours, with obvious Demoncrat's working their over paid jobs and all looked exactly like they worked at 'Popeye's Chicken,' if ya know what I mean. (Bellflower, California)

Sam:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts