Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it.I put a battery maintainer on my bike for the first time in my life.Never had to rode whenever but as I get older I just dont care to ride when its cold .I have rode most of this country so its not that big of deal to sit by the fire to me.What do yall think THATS NUTS RIGHT? IM ONLY 49!!!!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Well, l just started riding again for the first time in 20 years...rode half an hour to school the other day on the freeway, in 37 degree weather and froze my butt off! I am sure l did that with no problems when l was 21 :)

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
Well I did it.I put a battery maintainer on my bike for the first time in my life.Never had to rode whenever but as I get older I just dont care to ride when its cold .I have rode most of this country so its not that big of deal to sit by the fire to me.What do yall think THATS NUTS RIGHT? IM ONLY 49!!!!
It only gets worse. I now understand why my parents had the furnace running at 85º in the winter. I have my electric gloves on max and I'm still cold now days.

·
6,507 Posts
My Goldwing and my past BMW K1200LTC have heated seats and grips and hot air vents, that make cold weather sort of okay. My comfortable temp ranges are 50 to 100 or so.

Sam:)

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Not just the cold, but the white stuff has started and that makes riding out of the question. Here in northern Illinois we have about 2 inches on the ground (my estimate) and heavy flakes falling. High temps this coming week are in the high 20's or low 30's. If my dealer calls now and says my bike is ready for pickup, I either have him trailer the bike to my garage (if he'll do that without charge) or he will have to hold on to the bike until Spring. My tolerance for cold and this crappy winter weather has lessened as I get older. This morning I am smacking myself in the head thinking "what in hell am I doing still living here a year after I retired instead of moving to where riding is a year-round activity?".

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think that is nuts H65. I am 67 right now and will never place my bike on a tender. Why? It is simple. Weather, the real thing not climate, varies enough that I get good riding weather each and every month. Today my local forecast included afternoon snow but the daily high was predicted at 34F. I took my bike out in that 34F weather to run some errands and drove home during a snow event. The snow was melting as it hit the roads so it was all good.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Looks like my riding season down here in the Southern Hemisphere tropics could be coming to an end too. 33 deg C forecast here on the coast today (mid to high 80s F) but getting humid too and once it starts raining and the "wet" comes then it's all over.

Once you ride inland up over the coastal range it gets hotter still, about 160 km/100 miles inland they're expecting 40 C and over from now on (105 F plus). They're watering the roads to keep the tar in place. And when it rains out there in the "wet" then roads get cut and you can be stranded for days. Just best not to be there on a bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you old man for agreeing with me I wanted to go today but 48 and misting so said to [email protected]#$ with it but I think letting your battery set a month c ouldnt be good in cold weather

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Mine rarely sits for a week even in the coldest months. There has always been plenty of battery to get her running and of course it just charges up after that. I leave my tender on the riding mower because it won't run for several months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts