Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is stupid. I know. But I want to give it a shot anyway. I want to build my own MotoGP-style bike as a dedicated track weapon. I already own a R6 that is now a dedicated track/race bike, and I really want to build a bike for the experience. I have experience working on cars and motorcycles, and I have access to welding equipment and tools. Basically the idea is to design a frame, (or maybe just copy a MotoGP frame design if I can find one), source some aluminum, weld a frame, drop in an V4R engine (I have a friend offering me a 2014 Panigale 1299 engine, maybe that instead), get some Penske or Ohlins racing shocks, an Akrapovic full system and commission some custom fairings tailored to my body with wings galore. I want a ridiculously aggressive riding position and geometry, and basically the goal is to create an amateur MotoGP bike.
A few things
1. This is stupid
2. This will be expensive
3. I don't even know if most tracks will let me ride this bike at their facility
No offense, but I don't need y'all to tell me that. But I certainly do need advice, knowledge and help.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
If Misti sees this she might be able to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another option would be to buy a cheap sportbike, maybe an RC390 and drop a V4R motor into it.

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
If you want it to work, the motor has to be matched to the frame. If you stuff 100 hp into a frame designed for 45hp you will have problems. Any decent 600 sport bike will probably be faster than anything you can create. However to start you need a decent frame builder, and a known amount of horsepower.
This is how an engine builder put it to me many years ago. Horsepower costs money, how fast do you want to go?
There are currently many fast sport bikes that are very close to MotoGP for lap times. Trying to go faster would be an exercise in futility IMO. UK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts