Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two weeks, a bug flew into my eye on two different occasions. I have a full face with a visor. I rode with the visor up because of the heat.(It's been brutal here in the DMV areas). I couldn't pull over right away and it was quite a bad experience. I finally got to a store got a bottle of water and washed my eye out. I don't know how the half helmet guys do it without goggles.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
No bug in the eye with my half helmet, which I only wear when it's really hot, but I have gotten hit in the forehead just above my eye and on my cheek with rocks kicked up from vehicles in front of me, and I have a windshield lol

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I don't know what the "DMV area" refers to, but when I lived in south Texas it was either no helmet at all or a lightweight open faced helmet in the warmer weather (which means about 8 months of the year in San Antonio). Goggles or heavy sunglasses will give you some protection, and personally I would not ride without some eye protection regardless of the weather. If it was too hot to wear glasses or goggles, its too hot to ride. Some helmets are fairly open and thus good choices in the heat, but have a face shield that can be pulled down when needed. My open faced Bell helmet has both a faceshield and a sun shield built into the helmet. When worn in the up position the shield is virtually invisible and out of the way, but when on the highway where a kicked up pebble could be pretty disastrous, I pull the face shield down. The sun shield is like half a shield and nicely covers my eyeglasses and I use that almost all of the time. (That specific Bell helmet is also designed to have the Sena 10 intercom and Bluetooth communication system installed if you ever want to go that route.)

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I have goggles which I wear, and a windshield. My eyes are pretty well protected.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Vito. DMV is (DC-Maryland-Virginia) areas. You learn something new everyday:biggrin:. Hope your feeling well.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Had a bug fly into my right ear recently........he buzzed around in there until I flicked him away. It's just a hazard of riding is all.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I wear half-shell, goggles, and a windshield. My goggles get splattered all the time from bugs coming in from the side, and that little strip of forehead between the top of the goggles and bottom of the helmet gets hit.....its like they aim for it

I won't wear(anymore) a half shell with ear muffs and an open-face without a face shield......both are stinger magnets

A full face with the shield raised even 1 click seems to suck in critters.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Between my windshield/fairing and my 3/4 helmet I seldom need worry about bugs. I also wear prescription glasses although my license does not require them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In the last two weeks, a bug flew into my eye on two different occasions. I have a full face with a visor. I rode with the visor up because of the heat.(It's been brutal here in the DMV areas). I couldn't pull over right away and it was quite a bad experience. I finally got to a store got a bottle of water and washed my eye out. I don't know how the half helmet guys do it without goggles.
A good pair of goggles will prevent this from happening again. You may not have the coolest looking glasses, but Safety is much more important than comfort and style.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
In my experience, they don't. I don't think I've ever seen someone wearing a half-helmet, without some sort of eyewear. Goggles or simple sunglasses. Although it also appears that "goggled sunglasses" is the prevalent choice. I have a pair, myself. Couldn't imagine riding without them, and I have a face-shield.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I see folks around here (Illinois) all the time riding bikes with no windscreen, and not wearing any helmet, goggles or any other face/eye protection. I would never do it, not only because of bugs and pebbles, but the wind makes my eyes tear to the extent that I could not see properly.

My bike has an easily removable windscreen, but I virtually never take the screen off. But even with the screen I have been hit with bugs or debris on my cheeks, forehead and other parts of my face when wearing a 3/4 helmet or my modular or full face helmet but with the shield in the fully up position. Maybe I'm just lucky but with just normal eyeglasses on I have never had something actually hit me in the eye in over 30 years of riding. A June bug in the cheek at 60 mph with no windscreen, and no helmet convinced me to buy my first helmet 30 years ago. Taking some risk of being hit with debris is just part of riding a motorcycle. If I wanted full protection, I would drive my car.

·
Visionary
4,624 Posts
That's so common here in Pennsylvania too, most of the helmet-less riders don't wear anything on their eyes either, and no windshields on most of them. I don't understand how they do it, they must be tougher than me!

I wear a full face and have taken a few things to that shield that put a nasty dink in it, not something I want in my face for sure, and I have a windshield as well. I've gotten a few hits on my gloves and body that were pretty hard too.. lots of flying crap here after the winter! In fact I took a tiny stone to my leg yesterday on the interstate and it HURT!, (OK, I wasn't quite ATTGAT so it's partly my fault, was wearing standard heavy jeans, no chaps, padding or kevlar, but still, this little rock put a welt on my leg, 2 inches above my boot ( of course), it could have taken an eye out for sure.

I see folks around here (Illinois) all the time riding bikes with no windscreen, and not wearing any helmet, goggles or any other face/eye protection. I would never do it, not only because of bugs and pebbles, but the wind makes my eyes tear to the extent that I could not see properly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Forget the bug in the eye, how about the bee in the neck or the jacket? Got stung a couple of times last year when a bee hopped a ride when i stopped at a light. Went down my back, Holy crap was like someone was stabbing me. Did all i could not to put the bike down.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Michigan law says eye protection must be worn on at speeds above 35 MPH when riding on public roads.
I personally can't imagine not wearing eye protection at any speed.(after once catching a gnat in the eye at 10 MPH)

I usually wear a half helmet with glasses and have never caught more than an eyelash in my eye.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Not my eye, but I caught a June bug on the bridge of my nose 3 years ago at 60 mph. Still have the scar.

And a bird to the kneecap at 70mph.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Those things hurt and I've only caught them on my arm. You must have had tears immediately catching one in the face.

I did when I caught a honey bee. Had to pull over and get my hanky out. My wife pulled the darn stinger out and off we went afterward.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts