Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3/4 helmet with a shield. In a couple places I've got some bug guts that I can't get off the shield. So far I've tried Windex and a warm cloth, but they are persistent. Anyone have a tip for how to get them off? Thanks for any help.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Pledge funiture/wood polish. Spray some on, let it soak a minute, then lightly scrub it off. It's an old trick. Works well on bike windshields, too. If you do a Google seach about it you'll see that I'm not just talking crazy. :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
You might try Lamonster Black Dymond detailer. I have no idea what is in it but it works wonders on bugs. Doesn't leave a film that has be wiped off either. Spray on, wait a few seconds and wipe off. Just another benefit of owning a Spyder and reading about the stuff.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Pledge funiture/wood polish. Spray some on, let it soak a minute, then lightly scrub it off. It's an old trick. Works well on bike windshields, too. If you do a Google seach about it you'll see that I'm not just talking crazy. :)
Lurch77 ain't crazy! Pledge is great. I use IT to clean my bike and helmet all the time.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Whatever you do, please STOP using Windex on anything that isn't glass & that means both your face shield and the bikes windshield.

Normal Windex contains ammonia & that has a nasty habit of eating into non-glass :( it takes a long time but eventually you'll wonder why your shield is so 'cloudy' now

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Lurch77 ain't crazy! Pledge is great. I use IT to clean my bike and helmet all the time.
Me, too. It's an old aviation trick. I used it when I was in the Navy all the time on the planes we worked on. So when I started riding I thought why not. Seeing that other motorcyclists have been using it for decades just solidified my opinion. It really does work awesome.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Learn something new every day. That works well! Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Damn that does a good job. Which scent to you use?

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Do they make something other than lemon? Anyway, this technically isn't Pledge. It's whatever Dollar General calls thier generic Pledge. But it works as good.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
That is even better, will have to get a can.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade but if you google 'pledge for Plexiglas' you'll find some interesting arguments for and against, especially on aviation forums where they are talking about high dollar windshields and canopies.

This 'battle' was going on back when I was flying. Since aircraft windshields are expensive I opted for designated plexi cleaners and polish.

Some are saying the 'old' pledge was great but the formulation has been changed and supposedly can damage plexi.

Do some research and draw your own conclusions.

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
I have to side with metaldoc. I don't trust something that isn't made for the application. I use NOVUS plastic clean and shine. I have only a face shield to clean so an 8 oz bottle is going on 3 years of usage, probably a couple more left in the bottle. Works great for me.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I think everyone should research and decide on thier own. All I can tell you is my own experience. I've been using the stuff forever with no problems. And so have millions of other bikers and aviators. If they changed the formula, it hasn't made a negative difference in my experience. I did look for some negative reviews of Pledge for plastic cleaning, and I didn't see any other than some that don't use it simply because it wasn't designed with that in mind.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Plexus works great! but it is expensive as heck. It sure doesn't take much to clean a face shield though - or a windscreen, for that matter.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/cycle.html

I don't think it's really a polish - it's a plastic cleaner, so I'm not sure why it says "polish" in the above link...?

I wouldn't have any fear of using Pledge or similar product. My face shield for my Shoei costs around $50, and it isn't going to last forever, anyway... my windscreen is short enough that I look over it, not through it, so that's not a big deal in my case, either.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
my windscreen is short enough that I look over it, not through it, so that's not a big deal in my case, either.
This is exactly why it is a big deal for aviators... the pilot has to look through the windshield and when going towards the sun, the slightest minute scratches destroys any hope of clear vision. Replacement cost is also a big deal compared to bikes.

On bikes and helmet face shields, not nearly as big a deal. ;)

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Yeah, I didn't think my windshield was bad until I went into the sun one day. But I'm the third owner so who knows what the other 2 did. I just know what I'm using works great on bugs. It's like it has hydrogen peroxide in it. Bugs just turn to mush and wipe right off. I'm betting none of that lens restorer stuff works to remove surfaces scratch. Am I right to assume that? It probably just make a trillion smaller ones. I'd sorta like to look through a real clean one but guessing that means a new one.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
I've been wondering how well Novus removes the bigger scratches https://www.novuspolish.com/. I'm thinking I'll try it.
I have used pledge to polish my bike once in a while, and I'm sure the fine scratches in my windshield are from the cloths I have had to use occasionally, not the cleaners.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts