Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrives in a week or two. He had a class scheduled to get his license but coronavirus cancelled it for a few weeks. He's helmet shopping & decided on an open face style. We're planning on getting together with 2 cousins & riding some soon.

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
Let us know how it goes once he gets it. I do hope he realizes that it takes between 500 and 1,000 miles to really get used to the totally different way of operating one versus a two wheeler. but if he's never been on a two wheeler he may have much less of a learning curve. one thing to remember is to not try to completely control it. By that I mean to let it drift a little as road surfaces change and not try to keep it going perfectly straight. Light hands on the bars. I hope he enjoys it though. got my fingers crossed for him. (y) (y) (y) ? ? ?

Reactions: Juan_Banjovy

·
On The Road Again!
3,750 Posts
A lot of people like those Spyders.
Not my style, but they are cool.
I wish him the best with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Arrives in a week or two. He had a class scheduled to get his license but coronavirus cancelled it for a few weeks. He's helmet shopping & decided on an open face style. We're planning on getting together with 2 cousins & riding some soon.
Well I just bought a Can-Am Spyder. I trailed it home as I am a 2 wheel driver. I have a area of no traffic near my storage Hangar so i drove it around for a while and when through the exercises they recommend in the Operators Manual, available on-line free, and got familiar with turning in short circles. It is totally different then driving a 2 wheeler. The biggest thing is that it has only one foot brake and no hand brake. At first I kept reaching for the right handle that wasn't there. They designed it that way because it has ABS brakes and VSS, Vehicle Stability System. Not only does the computer control the brakes but the VSS controls uncontrolled skidding should that occur. The other difference is that if you want to turn R your push on the L handle bar, just the opposite of what you would do on a motorcycle. It drive more like a snowmobile or PWC. Once you get used to it it is no big deal. In fact it is a lot of fun. I think I will keep it and my bike as I enjoy riding both and my wife will ride on the Can-Am but she will not ride on my motorcycles. Have fun and keep the wheels down and the seats up.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Congratulation's, No pics yet? They are a lot of fun, and a different kind of fun. I purchased a Can Am Ryker Rally edition last July and set it up for touring with a set of luggage and other accessories. I'm a long time rider, but this is my first three wheeler. I had three bikes and got rid of two when I got the Ryker. Like you, I kept one just so that I can still get my two wheel fix as needed, and I still enjoy two wheels as much as I always have.

You're right about the no brake lever, the ABS & VSS, it takes a while to get use to it. But once you do, its all fun. I like having reverse too. If you start pushing it too hard in the twisties, and if you push it beyond its stability limits, or enter a curve too hot, its a very strange feeling when the computer takes over.

You're going to find it a little more relaxing to ride compared to two wheelers. Fewer controls to operate, lets you focus on seeing a little more of the sights. No putting your feet down anymore is a little weird to get use to. I did it a few times when I first got it just out of habit. After owning it for several months now, and really learning the machines capabilities & limits, I enjoy it even more. Its definitely a keeper.

·
8,455 Posts
There is a kit available to mount and additional brake on the Handlebar, right or left but they are expensive. Spyder forums are interesting and I have belonged to one for years.

My Family wants me to give up 2 wheels and actually buy a Can-AM because they think it will be safer.

It just feels weird to me to switch because I have ridden since 1962 and had many bikes but the older I get, I think I'd like not worrying about tipping over at a stop because of surface conditions.

I like this one:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think you would really have to work hard to flip a Can_Am Spyder. It would have to be intentional as the abs brakes and the (VSS) Vehicle Stability System kicks in if you do something stupid. The more I drive it the more I like it. I pulled up next to a SMART car the other day and found the Spyder is about as big as the car. I still take my 2 wheeler out and enjoy riding with others. I keep them guessing by showing up with different vehicles. It is nice to pull up to a stop sign or light and not have to worry about loosing my balance by stepping on sand or loose gravel and laying the machine over. I was at a gas station with my Fat Bob and pulled up to the gas pump. There was a expansion joint in the payment that just fit the kick stand and when i thought it was down over she went. No damage except to my ego.
Can -Am no worries and wife will actually download.jpg ride on it but not the 2 wheeler.

·
On The Road Again!
3,750 Posts
Oh I'm sure I would flip it over.
Some years back, I was at a demo day for the Segway two wheel scooter thing.
I figured that thing out in about 20 seconds and was zipping through the course
they had laid out within a minute, taking the turns on ONE wheel.
The guy in charge intercepted me and said, "You've had enough. Park it."
LOL!!!

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
I think you would really have to work hard to flip a Can_Am Spyder. It would have to be intentional as the abs brakes and the (VSS) Vehicle Stability System kicks in if you do something stupid.
Yep, the "nanny" on these trikes is pretty restrictive. A little less restrictive on the Ryker version I believe though but it's still there. @Zebraranger can confirm just how much more fun that model can be as it is intended to have fun with in dirt on occasions. I've not tested one. The F3 models are fun too but that nanny is always there to shut things down when you start having too much fun. @Porky, you should test ride a top of the line F3. You sit much lower, more motorcycle like rather than snowmobile like.

Reactions: Porky

·
8,455 Posts
I'm going to Larry! The F3 is on my list to test just as soon as it warms up a bit. There is a Can-Am Spyder dealer in Joplin now so it's only 15 miles away.

I do want the manual 6 speed trans if I get one though.

Before I bought the Africa Twin Adventure Sports last May, I came very close to buying this Decked out model:

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
If you get one you might want to add the aftermarket hand brake right off the bat. The lack of one gets me every time when I have to test ride my wife’s Spyder.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you get one you might want to add the aftermarket hand brake right off the bat. The lack of one gets me every time when I have to test ride my wife’s Spyder.
Yes, it did for me too. After a while I finally got use to it. That, and putting my feet down when I came to a stop. The few times I did it at a stop light, I felt like an idiot.

·
8,455 Posts
I 'm going to look into taking Can-Am's Spyder riders course, just to see if I would like the Beast.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I 'm going to look into taking Can-Am's Spyder riders course, just to see if I would like the Beast.

Actually thats a good idea. I never even considered that before I got mine. Another thing I had to get use to was the 5' width of the two front wheels, and being mindful of where they are at, especially in turns. I have to admit that I scraped a couple of curves in the beginning by not paying attention to where the front wheels were in a turn. I'd be pretty certain, that would be one of the things in that course.

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
I don't think the wide width up front is worse than behind you like on a conventional trike. In fact it might be better because you see it so how much more does a person need to be reminded it's there?

·
8,455 Posts
I'm wondering about 'Tunnel vision' and fixating on something the rider wants to avoid in the middle of the road, like a dead Skunk or a rock, chunk of firewood or whatever! Obviously it's easy to steer around an object on a bike but trying to make a split second decision on how to avoid the object with 3 wheels bothers me!:eek:

Sam:cool:

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
My wife can split objects with one front wheel and the rear wheel without even thinking about it Sam. You aren’t going to let her out ride you are you???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts