Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have not posted in a while, but had a recent 'event' on the bike, and it raises a couple questions.

I stopped for a light (one thousand one) SCREEEEECH (hope that ain't for me) BAM! (it was).

Someone two lanes over wasn't prepared to stop behind the car in front of him. He veered right, locked it up, and slid over and knocked me into a parking lot.

I got a broken elbow, sprained wrist, several jammed and swollen fingers, and a few minor cuts and bruises. My bike was totalled (along with my helmet...).

So, if you've been through a similar incident, did it affect your willingness to ride, or enjoyment of riding? What did you do to get back in a positive state of mind out on the bike? If I had made a mistake, I'd like to think I could learn from it. In this case, I only reinforced the notion that you can get pummeled even if you do nothing wrong.

Now, if/when I get a new bike, I have a strong fondness for retro style:

^(My old bike--R.I.P.)

All other things equal, any old Triumph or Japanese scrambler would make me smile all day:

Or, I could go new with a delicious and new Royal Enfield:

However, I enjoyed the UJM reliability of my Suzuki. Hipsters may not appreciate fuel injection or electronic ignition, but I am not a wrencher.

Can I satisfy my retro-grouch personality without giving up reliability and durability? What about a new or newer Triumph? Would a low mileage 70's UJM still make a good daily rider today? What fits the bill that I may not have mentioned? If you got one of these bikes, were you happy with it?

Thanks for any insights or opinions about either question. Ride safe.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Sorry to hear you got crunched. Hope you get your mojo back and get back in the saddle soon.
I crashed in Sept 2009, but it was mostly my fault so, as you said, I learned form the experience. I was back in the saddle the following spring and it did take me a little while to get back in the groove, so to speak.

As for a new scoot, Of the ones you pictured, I would go with the new Triumph Scrambler or possibly one of the uber cool Thruxtons (in green).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah don't be afraid to haggle with the insurance adjuster and act like you might sue. I did that after my accident and settled for 3 times what they originally offered. You don't really know if your really 100 percent OK, my friend walked away from an accident thinking he didn't get hurt but a year latter he was having trouble with his neck, turns out it was broken.

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Scrambler

On some of the Triumphs, the high pipes hold the leg out at a funny angle.
I do not like that system. Others tuck the pipes in enough, so it is not a problem.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Wow, another member getting smushed. Glad to hear you survived and are going to ride again. When I'm stopped at a light or stop sign I keep looking all around and scanning my rear view mirrors, my hand on the throttle, bike in 1st with clutch pulled in so I can take off if needed. Not sure I would be able to get out of the way but I sure would be trying.

Good Luck to you and I really hope you find a bike soon.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Moni just said is what you did wrong. Glad you're ok and all, but really, you heard tires locking up and didn't see it coming?? Rule of thumb... there are 3 times you are most vulnerable...

1) At a red light or stop sign.
2) On coming car MIGHT turn left in front of you to a side street.
3) Car stopped at intersection pulls out in front of you.

The rules go on, but the bottom line is simple, always be aware of your surroundings!! Everyone is out to kill you, don't let them succeed!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you heard tires locking up and didn't see it coming??
Yes. I am always aware of who is behind me at the light, and what is coming at me from the other direction and from both sides. But this guy came at me from a 45 degree angle, over my left shoulder, in my blind spot.

There was nobody else in my lane, and nobody in the lane next to me. It was a 3 way light, so there was nobody on my right, either. I could not have felt more secure until I heard the tires. When I did, I did not see where he was coming from in the fraction of a second before impact.

I don't think many riders would have been able to react in time to get safe in that situation, and the odds of this exact situation happening in the same way again are one in a million.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Most crashes are avoidable, but this sounds like one of the few that are nearly impossible to anticipate.

Stopped at an intersection is a vulnerable position for a motorcycle to be in, but it's one situation that can't be avoided.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most crashes are avoidable, but this sounds like one of the few that are nearly impossible to anticipate.

Stopped at an intersection is a vulnerable position for a motorcycle to be in, but it's one situation that can't be avoided.
I do have one point that I can learn, or more correctly, remember. I could have been on a lower traffic, lower speed side street at this point in my journey. Normally, I would have been. But, my dog had been alone in the house for quite a while. I was heading up U.S. Route 1 to make better time.

For a busy road, though, it's really not that bad heading north. The Indian River is on your right side, so there are no cross streets on that side.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would go with the new Triumph Scrambler or possibly one of the uber cool Thruxtons (in green).
Hmmmm..... I will definitely be making a trip to O-town to the Triumph dealer before making any decisions. I love the looks. Hopefully I can find one that feels right, and it will turn out to be a dependable daily rider.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Glad you made it through, and as I said to Dean, I'm glad you have the stones to want to get back on and keep riding.

After I wrecked there was some apprehension when I finally got the bike repaired and started riding again, but I think that's normal. At least I hope so because after 30 years it's still there. :wink: And it's a good thing too. It's what makes me check my tire pressure, keep my bike in good condition, not over-reach my abilities, and not get complacent about daily riding.

But if you're a Biker, you ride. That's what we do. The thought of not riding is more horrifying then the uneasiness you feel when mounting back up after a crash. So good on you!

As for bike choices, if I had to choose between what you suggested I'd start with an older Triumph, (or BSA, or Norton.) But I like to wrench on old bikes, so that's no problem. My second choice would be the New Enfield. Just because they're different! A new Triumph would be my third choice.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash Chewy, but really glad you're okay. If you decide on the newer Triumph I hope you'll love it as much as I have loved all of mine. I'd love to have a new Scrambler, just can't get another bike right now! Good Luck!

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I've had three low-sides. The first was my fault (entered a corner too fast, ditched at around 20 MPH -- minor scratches, and pulled nearly every muscle in my body), the second was a grease patch in a construction zone (15 MPH, pulled nearly every muscle, again), and the third was a blown rear tube (went down at 40 MPH, slid 40 feet down the road, on my back -- only a scratch on one knuckle!).

Each time, I got back on the bike within a few weeks. Wasn't easy (mentally), but I'm more careful because of the experiences... I am also an affirmed, ATGATT rider.

I would steer clear of Royal Enfields, due to the way they vibrate everything loose in a very short amount of miles. Read a recent review on them, in Motorcycle Consumer News, and one test rider was shocked at how quickly things vibrated loose! If you want to avoid wrenching on your new ride, look elsewhere.

With regards to older (Honda?) Scramblers, or older bikes, in general, wrenching is part of the deal, and parts may/may not be easy to find. Also, many mechanics won't work on bikes older than 20 years. Time to do some homework on reviews of bikes you might be interested in. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Sorry to hear you were slammed from behind. Glad to hear you're ok now and considering a new bike.

Moni's post is right on target. Drivers are out to kill us from multiple directions. Keep checking those mirrors.

I had 7 months of physical therapy after my last crash. At the time I decided to ride a smaller lighter bike until I was back to 100% strength and regained my full range of motion. So I rode a dual sport KLX250S for a while until I felt ready to switch to the Harley. The KLX was a lot of fun and I wish I had kept it.

I agree with Jo6pak. The Triumph Thruxton is very cool. The new Ducati 800cc scramblers look cool, too.

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
That's the one type of wreck that is real tough to actually see and be able to do something about in time. But every stop that I sit at I'm watching that rear mirror and listening. Hope you spring back. Next time leave room and have an escape route though. That's supposed to work but I'm still not sure I can react fast enough. But it is a plan.:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I still have not made it to the Triumph dealer, but I spent some time today looking at new and used options. I found one new contender:

2015 Yamaha SR400.

It's modern in specs despite its looks, save the drum rear brake and one super retro feature--it is kick start only!

It does seem pricey at $5999, but I found a new one for $5000 out the door, which is tempting. It's still on the high side up front, though I would expect costs to be low and reliability high once you get out the door.

What do you think, keeping in mind that I have no plans to get on the interstate?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts