Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 BMW 1100RT-P, yes it was a police bike. Riding in southern Texas I was on a 150 mile ride and the bike would die out at full speed (75 mph) then revive a second or two later and keep going for 10 -20 miles, then repeat the same.
At about a 100 miles it would die out every 5 miles and it started backfiring. By the time I finished the ride it died completely and wouldn't start. I took the panels off and ther is nothing obviously wrong. All fuses are good, spark plugs good and connected. plenty of gas. kill switch appears to be working good.
Let me know what you think. Is there anyway to check the bike without buying a Bosch tester?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My 1st guess would be a fuel starvation issue.. either the fuel filter, or the fuel line. Or possibly there's some gunk sediment in the fuel tank sloshing around & blocking fuel flow.

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
Don't forget to check the vent in the tank cap. Next time it happens, open the fuel tank; if you get a whoosh of in-rushing air, the vent is blocked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget to check the vent in the tank cap. Next time it happens, open the fuel tank; if you get a whoosh of in-rushing air, the vent is blocked.
I dont beleive its a fuel problem, because it backfired a few times, that makes it sound like an ignition problem.

How do you know if the Motronic Control Unit is failing/or failed?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Isn't backfiring from a too lean fuel mixture.....too lean means not enough gas.

My first guess is gunk clogging the fuel line.

But vent sounds good too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Could also be a broken/cracked wire someplace, which would be hard to find I think... My wife's Sportster had the same symptoms you're describing... took it to an Indy, and he said one wire in a harness was cracked due to the sharp angle it was set at... I don't remember what that wire went to though... or how he even found it. But he replaced that section, left more slack in the bend and it's been fine since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts