Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
peanuts choot choot
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two awesome dogs, and I would love to take them on a motorcycle. They are both relatively calm, and love to stick their heads out of windows. I just haven't figured out how to secure them. As of now, they don't mind sitting in my lap on the bike while its running.

My question is, how do you secure them and what should I look out for?

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
My buddy mounted his kennel on the back of his bike, just strap it down good.

·
10,757 Posts
I saw a guy a couple of weeks ago that had a dog pouch on the front of his vest. I was like a reversed backpack made of mesh. He had a small dog and said he was from Texas and had ridden with the dog all the way to ND.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I just worry that the dogs would see something on the road or side of it and try to bail out in motion.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a dog I want to ride with too, so I've been doing some research.
There appears to be a few ways to go:

Baby style papoose rig that you wear
Strap on/bolt on boxes/kennels
Kennel trailers you tow
or, the one I'm considering, since my guy is big, a strap on seat with low sides and a harness to keep them lying or sitting. I'll try to find a link for you later.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
A lot of people/dogs do it. Mordeth's dog hops onto the flat part of the scooter, the floor, but he will push the dog off, and the dog will run alongside him. He says it's his lazy way of walking the dog.
But as we all know, the dog loves to go along, one way or another.
You have to train the dog not to jump off into traffic or at high speed, or enclosed them, in some way, to restrain them. I have seen where they put the dog into a box, with just the head sticking out. It holds the dog, but allows them to see, hear and smell everything.
Be sure, when you do it, to post photos.
dc

·
Registered
493 Posts
I saw a guy a couple of weeks ago that had a dog pouch on the front of his vest. I was like a reversed backpack made of mesh. He had a small dog and said he was from Texas and had ridden with the dog all the way to ND.
saw the same thing. guy had a pouch that looked like what you would put a baby in to carry in front of you. he also put a pair of goggles on the dog

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
How about starting at dogsonbikes.com. They have a rule here, no posting links to other forums, so.
There may be others.
Myself, I am sometimes chased by dogs, but I have no desire to take a dog along with me.
dc

·
Registered
294 Posts
Try beastriders.com

A little pricey, but I'm either going to buy a large one, or try to make something similar myself with a tether to keep him safely in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
down here in Aussie, there is a famous rider thats been in trouble with the police a fair bit for breaking the animal on motorvehicle rules. nice Hayabusa with the plates "doggie" last time I saw him ride past.

Little dog, in an awesome leather vest, stands up on his lap/tank and just goes for the ride. I think its dangerous but so **** amusing.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No problem. Solution:

(I actually got this from Motorvation. But I have the same sidecar on order and intend to put my Golden Retriever in it, when the kids aren't.)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Miles.
I don't know if that dog is jumping out, or being thrown out.
But my cat has done as crazy a thing. Jumped off the roof, onto another roof, and missed, and jumped off the balcony.
dc

1 - 20 of 28 Posts