Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm new to the forum. My names Jake, I'm a senior in highschool, and I enjoy riding and working on motorcycles. Today I picked up a 1986 Yamaha Fazer 700. Bought it from the owner of my local Honda/Yamaha shop because he needed space. Here's some background info I found out. It was dropped off 10-15 years ago with a bad counter shaft bearing. The owner brought another motor that was in good shape to swap it with. Well the owner was arrested for whatever and contact was never made again. So I ended up with 1 complete motor with the carbs, starter, alternator, etc. Basically everything to toss it in the frame and hook it all up. I also have another motor missing carbs, starter, alternator, and other doodads. Everything else seems to be there, and in great shape. She has just been sitting for decade without any love. Payed $300 for it, and he even threw in 4 straps! The straps pretty much sealed the deal, considering I've broken 3 or 4 in the last month. Parts and information are a little tough to find, so I figured I'd get the expertise on a forum. Well first part I dug into was the carburetors. All of them were fairly clean, and I managed not to strip any screws. One of the carbs was missing a piece. I've never dealt with carbs that have this piece, so I'm not sure what to call it. I guess I'd call it a needle cap or cover. The needle from the throttle slide comes through a circut the the main jet is directly associated with, it continues and protrudes through the bottom of the carb. Where the tip of the needle is exposed a cap is screwed in to keep gas from the bowl from being sucked in and making the mixture extremely rich. I included photos that should help. I'm only missing one, I had to take the another one off to get a stubborn float shaft out. All I need is a name, any other tips and pointers are great. Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dodsfall, but I've looked multiple times and cannot figure out what part it is. Maybe I'm missing it, but I've looked fairly thorough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On rockymountain I can click the parts and look through a few of them. I believe it's part 16, called a "screw" pretty creative right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I bought the bike from the owner of my Local Honda/Yamaha Shop I'm going to see what he can do for me on the carb parts. I'm going in tomorrow to pick up the seat I forgot, and I'll ask him about parts. Today I got the carbs very clean and ready for the one measly part I need. I swapped parts from the bad motor to the good motor and cleaned it up. Then I put the motor in the frame and bolted it down, I'll get everything hooked up tomorrow. I'll add photos of when I picked it up, and my progress so far. Oh and everything is there and dirty. I'm pretty sure everything but the front fender will clean up well, it was the only thing that got a little sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Idle Jet plug or cap?

Well, you could make one, if you were a machinist...
you might have to, but contact the yamaha shop and tell them what you want.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If the needle you see sticking out in your second picture moves up and down when you work the slide assemble, then that's passing through your main jet, and the part you need is the main jet screw.

Any relation to Mom Boucher?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Needle ended up being a tad bent too. Ordered a new needle, cap for the needle, a clutch master cylinder rebuild, and an oil filter. Should be here middle of next week. Well my mom's last name is Boucher too hah?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I realized that a little bit ago when I Googled it. I edited the post to say, "Needle ended up being a tad bent too. Ordered a new needle, cap for the needle, a clutch master cylinder rebuild, and an oil filter. Should be here middle of next week. Yeah Maurice and I go way back, I was his right hand man." Edit must have not went through

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Carbs

Those carbs have a few differences to the ones on my 80 XS1100. I do not think I have had one of those apart. The ones on my 83 XS400 are pretty much the same as the bigger bike. So from 84 to your model they changed the style of the carbs.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as I know, there's no connection. Honestly I don't know anything about my family history though, so anythings possible. Yeah I think it will be quite the bike when I'm done, I hope!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Okay you made me look him up, you are a vast well of knowledge Eye.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got to the point of actually turning it over. It will fire here and there with some coaxing from carb cleaner. I have bright blue spark from both coils, I'm pretty sure it has good enough compression, I bypassed the fuel pump and made it gravity fed because I couldn't hear it. I pulled it out, hooked it up to a 12 volt battery, and didn't do anything but burn the **** out of my buddy. Then I tried a 2 amp charger, and still nothing. So I'm leaning towards no gas, but I don't know for sure. I guess I can check the float bowls and see if they are filling up? Does it needs pump pressure to run for at least a second? What are my alternatives for a pump? OEM probably cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the "pickup wires" or wherever they are called that come out of the left and right crank cover are crossed, will it be 180° out of time? I did get a handful of backfires through the carbs, and because I didn't pull the motor out originally, I just matched wires and connections as best as I could. I still have 2 or so connections that were left vacant, but If it was something necessary to run wouldn't it not have spark?

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts

The pic above shows a 4 cylinder engine. Hard to be 180 out of time with that many. On my earlier XS11 the left coil fires 1 and 4, the right coil fires 2 and 3.
Pull the left had side cover off to be sure which way the engine turns. Should be an arrow mark. They go backwards on the XS11. I am not familiar with your bike. But I bet someone will be on the XS11 site.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The pic above shows a 4 cylinder engine. Hard to be 180 out of time with that many. On my earlier XS11 the left coil fires 1 and 4, the right coil fires 2 and 3.
Pull the left had side cover off to be sure which way the engine turns. Should be an arrow mark. They go backwards on the XS11. I am not familiar with your bike. But I bet someone will be on the XS11 site.

Unkle Crusty*

I didn't see the photo, and sorry I've never actually had to rebuild a four cylinder. Only single cylinders. Wouldn't the starter have to be reverse polarity? I have a scrap motor, I'll take it off of that and take a gander. Thanks for the input!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts