Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
My dad rode a Norton. I bought a new Norton in 71. I raced a 68 750 Norton in a Reynolds featherbed frame. It was primarily the 71 that caused me to say, never again. It was generally meant for all things British, but primarily aimed at Norton. There was a time when they won races with consistent regularity, to quote the book.

I do like my new generation Triumph in British Racing Green. Will be getting Noddy painted very soon.

UK

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Additional information on how Norton ended up in this position:
When the classic British motorcycle marque Norton slumped into administration on Wednesday afternoon, the news was framed in the habitual way of a standard UK engineering corporate failure.

The 122-year-old brand – famed for roles in the Che Guevara memoir The Motorcycle Diaries and the James Bond film Spectre – had fallen victim to an assortment of overwhelming forces ranging from Brexit, a punchy HMRC pursuing the firm for £300,000 in unpaid taxes, and tough international competition that made it impossible for Norton’s traditional bespoke approach to succeed.

However, the story is far more complex than that. It is a pile-up that includes hundreds of hapless pension holders, together with unsuspecting Norton customers, staff and even government ministers, who repeatedly endorsed Norton as millions of pounds in taxpayer support flowed into the firm. Its all an interesting read below.

Link: Taken for a ride: how Norton Motorcycles collapsed amid acrimony and scandal

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
Similar story to British motorcycles of old.
The new Triumph company was well financed by one man.
Norton did not do as well as expected at the race track. Might have been a better plan to build some decent bikes first, at a reasonable price. Most bankers, politicians, accountants, would not have any idea if a new bike company was viable. Just drivel IMO. Probably a good idea to blame BREXIT, but they did enough damage themselves.
My father would be embarrassed to hear of all this stuff. Let him remember the days of old, the twenties and thirties, as I do the fifties and sixties.

UK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts