Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm glad I found a forum that seems like it consist of a nice core group of people! My names Quyntayle if you couldn't tell haha I've always had a interest in bikes, I love everything from the look, the speed, the sound, the manual shifting (keeps me focused on driving) and being on two wheels! I used to ride a little Yamaha Yz 80 when I was like 13/14 so that was like my intro to bikes but unfortunately my mom and her boyfriend split and what not haha we won't go into that.. But yea either way I'm 16 and will be turning 17 in June, I recently signed up for my BRC which I'll be taking in mid April, any pointers? I'm confident but still would like to know if there's anything I should defiantly be sure not to do lol. I'm super excited and can't wait.. I'll be purchasing my gear in the upcoming week if you're interested in what I got feel free to ask! But on to the next part.. My first bike! As of now it looks like I'm 99% set on this awesome 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R.. I was wondering if ABS is a big deal? Do you think I should get a different bike with ABS to play it safe? And just some quick info about me before you say a 650 is ridiculous for my first bike lol.. I'm very mature and am not one of those kids who just wanna twist that throttle all the way I'm more wanting to find other people who love bikes and ride with buddies that I make along the way. I'm 6'2 and 203Lbs so I'm not small either haha.. Well I think that's about it for my first post! Can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What's up Q. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders to start. Getting gear, BRC is a great start. Since you do have a little riding experience I wouldn't say a 650 is to much, as long as you realize and respect the power. The ABS is a great feature to have and you will be glad you have it, trust me on that. At your age a 250 is something you'd want to get rid of in a month. With that being said, RESPECT the bike and the speed that it will go. DO NOT cave to peer pressure with riders your age, by doing things that will put your health and life at risk. Don't mean to lecture but just giving my opinion as that is what the forum is for. Good luck with the course and keep your head on straight.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
My best advice for the BRC is to make sure you understand the instructions, and if you don't understand something, ask to have it explained. Pay special attention to the evaluation points read to you before each exercise, since that's what the coaches will be watching for. Master those and it will be a breeze.

During the BRC, smoothness is more important than speed. It's not racing school. Concentrate on improving your smoothness with the controls as you do each exercise. The exercises are easy to learn, but sometimes tricky to do with a lot of finesse. If you are finding an exercise too easy, challenge yourself to be a bit smoother with each repetition.

Participate in the classroom. Not only does this help make it more fun, I think a lot is learned by interacting with your classmates.

Most of all have a good time because that's what riding is all about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey man I don't mind it! I appreciate it if anything haha it's a constant reminder not to be dumb on the bike, so anytime a experienced rider wants to say something along those lines well... Thanks for possibly saving my life I guess haha. Besides pretty much dedicating all my income to this hobby so to say that I can already see becoming an addiction lmao I can tell you I didn't expect the BRC to be 325 haha I called today thinking it was going to be only 25-75 bucks so that was kinda funny. Also another quick question since I get mixed answers on Google, after you pass BRC do you still have to take a riding test or do you just have to take the written/eye exam ect ect. Or does passing the course waive the riding test part? I get confused with BRC and Motorcylce Safety Course

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Some states grant a license waiver for passing the course, others don't. Here in Illinois, waivers are given for both the written and riding tests if you take a state-sponsored course. A driver's license is required to take the course. Those under 18 still have to take both of the DMV tests and have a parental waiver signed, however.

In Illinois, all of the state-sponsored courses are free to take, including the BRC, the IRC, the BRC2, the 3-wheel course, and the ARC.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That may depend on what state your in. Here in Md. you take the test as part of the BRC. Upon completion and passing you get a certificate to take to the DMV. You are then issued a new class CM license . I'm an experienced ride in all my 6 years of riding.(lol) I do consider myself a good and safe rider. I've never been down(Knock on wood) because of the BCR course. I took it very serious and apply everything I've learned in that class every time I ride. My car is my second option for transportation as I ride everywhere. I have a winter suit for the cold weather. That's what you called hooked on riding. It's great though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can probably find this out on my own but since we are already talking... If I was to go with the current bike I found I could just get ABS installed right? And how much do you think that would run me? And I'm obviously going to inspect the bike myself before purchasing it (it'd be very idiotic not to) lol but should I be worried about being lied to by a dealership? Just wondering if even the dealerships will try to pull the wool over my eyes like some private sellers would..

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You also could look at the new Ninja 300, that replaced the 250. They are great bikes and have the power that a 650 of years ago had. I think that ABS is standard on this bike, and they look really good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good suggestion and it's slightly cheaper even brand new! I guess after I take BRC I will have a better idea, plus I can always test ride both ? can't wait haha. I'll keep you guys updated as I make decisions and progress!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome from Seattle :)

If you have experience riding then a 650 will be a reasonable bike. I disagree with Jahuth, though...it is still your first time in the street, so l would not buy a new bike. Stick to used, it won't hurt as much when you drop it.

As far as gear is concerned, l personally think that many people do not pay enough attention to the gloves they buy. In my opinion, gloves are the 2nd most important piece of gear next to your helmet. Your hands operate the throttle, front brake, and clutch...the 3 most important controls on the bike. Having a great pair of gloves that are comfortable and give you a great grip is super important to me. I found a great deal on a pair of Dainese Ducati Corse gloves on Ebay and every time l ride l am glad l did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey bud, greetings from Michigan haha

To be completely honest I seen your post about "askholes" after I had made my post and thought to myself "**** this guys going to comment some whitty remark" lmao glad to see you didn't, and the 650 is used with 11k Miles for $4,980 what'd you think about that? Here's a link to it http://m.cycletrader.com/dealers/Trojan-Powersports-2962604/listing/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-650R-112179451 and also when it comes to gloves I ended up purchasing the REV'IT Dirt 2 Gloves idk if you've heard of them but yea hopefully they are good only $100 bucks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
As of now it looks like I'm 99% set on this awesome 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R.
Not to discourage you, but I'm thinking the insurance for a 17 year old on a bike such as the Ninja will be quite high as opposed to something smaller and slower. They don't see that you've go a level head on your shoulders for a 17 year old, but just throw you in the actuarial table.

The insurance for my TU250x is about $60 a year for full coverage. I was checking out some other bikes for possible upgrades down the road. Most like the CB500F, V7 and FZ07 were like $250 a year, four times as much. Good luck regardless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a insurance quote for the 650 and it'd be like $549 paid in full for 12 months I don't really know insurance prices but from what you just said I'm guessing $549 is a lot lmao but I mean I can afford it since I have enough saved.. So idk I guess we will see in the near future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
**UPDATE**

After constant back and fourth over the past 24 hours in my mind debating whether or not I should go with the 650 w/ ABS or play it safe and get a 300 w/ ABS... I've decided that it's best to be safe than sorry and maybe instead of trying to start on a 650 (not that I doubt I can) I will listen to the more experienced riders and go with the 300 and start from there and maybe after a year or so I will sell that an upgrade to a higher cc bike. I think the main reason for this decision is reading all the benefits of starting off small and working your way up.. I gotta say this whole process was a lot more tedious then I would have expected but I know it's going to be worth it so this weekend me and mom are going to head to the dealership and I can finally get things rolling! Having mixed feelings but over all I'm ready to get out there and have a blast and make a lot of new friends! Thanks guys for the couple of tips and giving me your insight I'll be making a post when I get my endorsement.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,442 Posts
Welcome aboard. The most important thing you can do at the BRC is pay attention and ask questions if you don't understand

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not to discourage you, but I'm thinking the insurance for a 17 year old on a bike such as the Ninja will be quite high as opposed to something smaller and slower. They don't see that you've go a level head on your shoulders for a 17 year old, but just throw you in the actuarial table.

The insurance for my TU250x is about $60 a year for full coverage. I was checking out some other bikes for possible upgrades down the road. Most like the CB500F, V7 and FZ07 were like $250 a year, four times as much. Good luck regardless.
This is a 650.... TWO CYL!

OP if you have family in Ohio take the BRC there.. it is only $50.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hey bud, greetings from Michigan haha

To be completely honest I seen your post about "askholes" after I had made my post and thought to myself "**** this guys going to comment some whitty remark" lmao glad to see you didn't, and the 650 is used with 11k Miles for $4,980 what'd you think about that? Here's a link to it http://m.cycletrader.com/dealers/Trojan-Powersports-2962604/listing/2011-Kawasaki-Ninja-650R-112179451 and also when it comes to gloves I ended up purchasing the REV'IT Dirt 2 Gloves idk if you've heard of them but yea hopefully they are good only $100 bucks!
Personally, l think you should spend something like $2000-$3000 for your first bike. I got my SV650 for $3000 with only 5k miles on it. A 2011 is still too new IMO...it is still depreciating quite a bit. Consider these 2 scenarios...

#1) You buy that 2011 Ninja for $5000, you ride it for 2 years and drop it once along the way, doing minor cosmetic damage. You are ready for more bike so you sell it for $2500. Net loss: $2500

#2) You buy a 2006 Ninja 500 for $2500, you ride it for 2 years and drop it once along the way, doing minor cosmetic damage. You are ready for more bike so you sell it for $2000. Net loss: $500

In scenario #1, the money that you lost on your bike is enough to buy your bike outright in scenario #2.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That was my first bike Hawk. Got a 2007 ninja 500 for $3000 with 3000 miles. Sold it two years later 3500.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts