Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see em...........

They're out there riding their motorcycles in 30ºF temps.

Nuts!!

Yes, I'm "jealous"

Ah well............

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Just color me nuts. I got the chance to ride after 2 days of rain so drove out to supper on Wednesday evening at 28F. It was a nice ride but not a long as I usually like. The key for me is dry roads. If the roads are clear I enjoy riding down to about 20F or a little less.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Chilly

Dry roads below freezing is what I want. But if it does sprinkle snow, well that is why I ride the 400. The heavy bikes can fall over too fast.
I do not have any electric heat. But on the 400, I do have dirt bike style bar guards, a small front window, and best of all, leg shields. They cut the wind hitiing the legs, and it makes a big difference.
My clothing selection is well thought out, and tested.

Unkle Crusty*

·
6,482 Posts
I'm fine from 45 to 125 degrees but under that or over that I am uncomfortable.

What's BRAVE about riding in the cold unless one absolutely has to. I have a better word than brave to describe that behavior.

Since I am on LOTS of bike forums, I enjoy watching the discussions and bragging that goes on about cold weather riding like it's an EGO or performance contest: "I rode today and it was 32 out." "Well I rode today and it was 22 out but I wore my warm gloves." I rode today and it was -22 degrees out, in the snow, naked, on black ice, 50 miles round trip to work." "Well, I did the same ride today but it was 100 miles round trip to work."

Maybe there should be an organization called the: FIBA : The frozen Iron Butt association and they could have sponsored rides to the north pole or Buffalo, New York and for the entry fee you'd get a nice framed picture of Alfred E. Newman of MAD Magazine fame with his famous quote of; "What, Me worry?"

All in fun guy's:coffeescreen:

Sam:icon_cool:

·
Registered
943 Posts
As soon as I can afford it, I plan to buy a snowmobile suit! If guys can ride their snowmobiles for hours at a time at 90 or 100 KPH in -30C temperatures wearing a snowmobile suit then it should work just fine on a motorcycle as well!

By next winter I hope to have a sidecar so that will mean snowy roads wont automatically end biking - only ice will do that. Fortunately, in this part of the country, a sunny day even at -20C will clear the ice from the roads.

I wonder if you can get tire chains for a motorcycle? :eek:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
This was from a 1600 mile ride I did last April to Colorado. I have a Victory Vision and a heated jacket liner and heated gloves so it really wasn't to uncomfortable. I did have cold feet!!
Like rain, cold does get through after awhile.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm fine from 45 to 125 degrees but under that or over that I am uncomfortable.

What's BRAVE about riding in the cold unless one absolutely has to. I have a better word than brave to describe that behavior.

Since I am on LOTS of bike forums, I enjoy watching the discussions and bragging that goes on about cold weather riding like it's an EGO or performance contest: "I rode today and it was 32 out." "Well I rode today and it was 22 out but I wore my warm gloves." I rode today and it was -22 degrees out, in the snow, naked, on black ice, 50 miles round trip to work." "Well, I did the same ride today but it was 100 miles round trip to work."

Maybe there should be an organization called the: FIBA : The frozen Iron Butt association and they could have sponsored rides to the north pole or Buffalo, New York and for the entry fee you'd get a nice framed picture of Alfred E. Newman of MAD Magazine fame with his famous quote of; "What, Me worry?"

All in fun guy's:coffeescreen:

Sam:icon_cool:
Oh, yeah!?! Well, I'm 100 years old, have owned every bike in the world, rode 100,000 miles on each of them, and... And, I ride 365 days a year no matter the weather. I don't even own a "cage". Hell, I once rode all the way across Siberia, in the winter, on a steam velocipede, with only a parka I borrowed from Stalin.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Don't even get me started on the frostbite I've earned while snowmobiling in sub zero temps.......;)

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Postman

These days I am like the hippy postman, who will deliver your mail in rain snow and all kinds of ****, as long as it is a nice day.
I chose my days. I do not have to go to work every day, in whatever the weather provides. I am quite happy to snuggle a cute blonde ( Mrs Snippets ) while having my morning coffee, with octane boost, in bed.
After 50 plus years of the daily grind you can do the same.
If I am on my Island and it snows, I might put the chains on the tractor and plow some drives. If I am on the mainland and it snows, we use Mrs Snippet's 4WD Honda.
Bike street tyres and snow do not go well together. A 250 with trials universals or knobbies, and a great degree of caution, might get you to the pub and back.
The chance of hitting a solid object, is too great, to be riding a heavy street bike in icy or snowy conditions.
I do have a belch mobile on the Island if required. 78 Chev 3/4 ton. Later I want to get a small diesel pickup.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
While touring you can have temperature extremes almost any day of the year. Good gear that's adjustable for conditions helps a lot!

This year in Alma, Colorado on August 10th it was 34 degrees!

Last year in June it was 43 degrees at Mount Evans and then 115 in Death Valley.

2012 - 101 degrees in Florida and then a week later 34 degrees in Alaska.

This was June 20th on the Million Dollar Highway and then a few hours later in Durango it was 80 degrees -

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.............I'm 100 years old, have owned every bike in the world............
Two questions:

1. Are you REALLY "100 years old?"
2. Since you've owned "every bike in the world," what bike would you
NEVER buy again????

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Bikes

I will wager a case of good beer, that the 100 year old dude has not owned an ABC, ACE, Adler, or AJS. Nor would he know which one of those was made in the US. Hint, it starts with A. Might I suggest, The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle, book for everyone for Christmas.
The old FN has a catchy name.
Gilera sounds fast, and indeed they did win some world championships.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Its seldom I go out below 50, and even more seldom I go out below 40. With some better gloves and something for the 2 inches of neck that is exposed I could go well below 40. I'm sure in the late winter 40 will be welcome.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Shoo! I've rode all four of those bikes, at once. Yep. I made one bike out of parts from all four, and rode clear across the United States. This was back when it was safe to do that. Yep. Rode from St. Augustine, Florida to Aleutians West of Alaska. It was dicey hopping from one sheet of ice to the next, but you could do that kind of thing before they started putting all that corn in the gas.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I consider riding in the cold to be neither brave nor nuts. If your comfortable at 0 degrees it isn't any big deal. If 45 is your limit then don't ride below 45.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I rode to work yesterday, 40 degrees both in the morning and in the evening. After about an hour, you fingers start to get cold. The extreme humidity was worse though. It wasn't raining, but it felt like 110% humidity with little drops forming on my visor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts