Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Happy to be here, wish I came under less stressful circumstances but it got me here so that is what counts. I am very excited to learn more about riding and everything that goes along with it. I live on the Venice Beach Boardwalk so I have been staring at some of the best roads to ride on since moving here in November and pulled the trigger the other day and purchased a 87 Magna V42 with 8k miles on it and it rips. I absolutely love it and there are not many feelings that compare to going from 1st to 2nd for the first time on an open road.

Side note and here is the embarrasing part:

Hey everyone,

I am incredibly new at riding and have a very frustrating problem to the point I towed my bike from Long Beach to Venice the other day because I could not figure out what was going on.
The bike starts up fine, and I feel like the clutch is engaged but again I’m new so might not be enough. The bike with lunge forward then stall out every time going into first. Now someone was kind enough to try and push me to go into 2nd and that worked, until I hit a light 100 feet down the road and I tried shifting back into first and it shut off again. It’s really embarrassing and frustrating, does anyone have any idea what this could be or what I can do to try and prevent this from occurring? I mean even tips on the choke and the fuel adjustment on the side. If the clutch should be closer to max or low and the hydraulic fluid. I just can’t figure out what’s up.

That is my SOS post I made a few moments ago. So any help or pointers would be so incredibly appreciated so I can ride up PCH through Malibu as soon as humanly possible.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to being an active member.

P.S. I have a drone and some bad ass photo gear like Sony A7III, i usually do concert photography but if anyone is interested in getting crazy sick shots on your hog hit me up.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,432 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you need to get the clutch adjusted ASAP

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
820 Posts
Welcome from the Missouri Ozarks!

Did bikes of that vintage have sidestand switches? My husband's '85 Goldwing didn't, but figure it's worth asking.

How old are the tires on that 8K bike?? Motorcycle tires are only good for 2-5 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an answer! It was the hydraulic fluid having air in the line. A mechanic came out to my place in venice and fixed it right there on the spot. HJe is coming back tomorrow to clean the carburetor as well 😁👍

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,432 Posts
I have an answer! It was the hydraulic fluid having air in the line. A mechanic came out to my place in venice and fixed it right there on the spot. HJe is coming back tomorrow to clean the carburetor as well 😁👍

Great news, and thank you for letting us know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts