Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have this bike a 1995 Honda VFR 750. I was noticing that when riding down the road, I'd take my hands off the bars and then the bars would start to wobble. I happened to notice at one point that the dot on the back tire indicating the lightest part of the tire was not lined up with the valve stem, so I assumed that being as the back tire did not appear balanced, I assumed the front tire was not balanced. Thinking that this was what the problem was, I put my bike up on a stand and went to remove it. After getting the weight off the front tire and starting the removal procedure, I noticed something very disturbing. The front tire would not spin without a lot of effort. I ended up getting the tire off, put it on a balancer, and it was pretty balanced. I went back out to look into the sticking problem. The pistons on the brake calipers were all gunked up with gunk. I ended up scrubbing em up with brake fluid and got em looking pretty good. I didn't take the pistons out, but I got them out most of the way and shined them up real nice looking. I put everything back together. I also replaced the brake pads with EBC Double H pads. After getting it all back together, the wheel would spin and the brakes seem to work well. The only thing that I'm tripping on now is there's still like some sort of dragging noise that I'm assuming is the brakes on the rotors when I push the bike forward, and back. This isn't normal, is it? I would just replace the calipers, but I really can't find any "NEW", or even remanufactured calipers that will fit this bike. There are rebuild kits for somewhere around 80 bucks, but yeah. I'm just curious. I haven't noticed dragging noises on other bikes that I've had, but I'm not 100% sure. It's relatively faint, but it's still there.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
It could be the pistons are not retracting easily. The pistons can rust. Could be the discs get a bit of rust on them when sitting, and that makes a scratching sound. However the wheels should turn relatively easily, with out much effort.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Your new pads do need a bit of break-in. I'd go for a ride and be somewhat aggressive using the brakes and see if that doesn't clear things up.

There is also the possibility of a bad wheel bearing. Without eyes and ears on this sound it's hard to say where you might be getting it from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts