Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I own a 1989. Suzuki intruder 750,
I will let you know that I’m girl but somewhat mechanically inclined just not with motorcycles LOL. I’m trying to get my bike ready for inspection I am very frustrated because I can not figure out why my brake light is staying on. I have checked the brake light adjustment, and bulb. I have trouble reading the wiring diagram and have NO ONE Who can help me. There are NO motorcycle mechanics near me for sure not in the same town. Help please!

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
As I said before, add your location to your profile; someone may be close enough to help.

Did you clean and lubricate the rear brake light switch, so it doesn't stick on? Sure it's not the front brake light switch on the hand lever?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So tried adjusting the back brake light switch only to find out I am missing the spring. I ordered one and should have it soon. I hope that once installed my nightmare will be over.

·
Biker
1,349 Posts
Hello Dizzy2day

750 Intruder, pretty much the same as an M50? after 04 they stated calling it a Boulevard? Nice ride you have.
I had a similar issue with front brake-light switch, every-time I did a pre-ride rear bulbs were so blackened from
switch being stuck and the hi-side of the bulbs being burned out.

Dizzy, for the most part, you have 2 wires going to tail-lite/brake-light and most likely an 1157 bulb w/ two
filaments. one filament draws like .6 amps or 7.2 watts other filament draws 2.1 amps or 25 watts . when
you turn key on, power goes right over to the lower watts filament of the bulb, power also goes to one side
of the front and rear brake-light switches, other side of both switches goes to the higher watts filament of
the 1157 bulb.

dollars to Krispy kreme doughnuts the spring will do it. hope so

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for helping I had several other issues come up. Brake light staying on is solved( I needed the spring that attaches to the adjustment ) Also needed to solder the front brake light switch that was a challenge. I would be safe to say that my bike is ready to be inspected Tuesday.

·
American Legion Rider
20,012 Posts
So how did that spring go missing? A previous owner problem? Glad you got it sorted out though and you should be fine on inspection. Don't have wipers to worry about.:grin:

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
Good to hear you have it sorted out.

From the look of the front switch, I can see how owner carelessness or abuse caused loss of the spring. Some owners just don't care, I guess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good to hear you have it sorted out.

From the look of the front switch, I can see how owner carelessness or abuse caused loss of the spring. Some owners just don't care, I guess.
How did you see the front switch? I don't see any pics posted. Also I'm not sure what spring your talking about? The switch spring allows the switch to be engaged, so the light wouldn't be on until the pedal is press, unless the light was on all the time, because of the front switch.

·
Premium Member
5,383 Posts
I realized, after I posted, that the photo of the front switch was part of a private conversation I had with the OP, sorry. Technically, the spring pulls the switch on, and flexes to prevent switch damage; but if the switch is sticking in the on position, it can push the switch some when the lever is released, allowing it to open. Thirty-year-old parts can behave like that sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts