Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hear about "Boxer" motors in Porsche cars, and in Subaru's, and in BMW motorcycles........

I owned a Subaru Outback a couple of years ago (new) and it had a "Boxer" engine. If memory serves, it had "horizontally opposed Pistons." It used a CVT Transmission (Constant Velocity = no gears, belt). It was a really fantastic combination!! In the car world, I would NEVER buy a 4-cylindar motor-driven vehicle, EXCEPT with a horizontally-opposed motor in combination with a CVT!

This guy's video helps explain the concept, if you are unfamiliar with it:

So here's what I'm wondering. "Boxer" motors.........why does that name or definition show up in such a variety of applications? Are they all from one man/designer/engineer/company? Are we talking about a horizontally-opposed motor that is used in a variety of applications, including motorcycles?

What's the skinny on "Boxer?"

-Soupy

·
8,606 Posts
"each pair of pistons moves in and out together, rather like the gloves of a boxer." WIKI.

It is a superb way to engineer an engine that has almost perfect balance as the inertia of one piston is balanced by the other one on the other side.

The design also allows low mounting and thus a low center of gravity.

A stock R series (BOXER) BMW, will handle as good or better than most sport bikes in the curves, twisties and turns and if it had the same power level, which most don't (except the 1200 series) they would leave the sport bikes.

The design allows easy maintenance, from BMW, Goldwing, VW to Subaru. The 90 degree Moto Guzzi twin is in the pack for ease of maintenance too.

I've had all of the above including a new 1979 Subaru with the exception of the Moto Guzzi, which will probably be my next toy.

Sam:biggrin:

·
8,606 Posts
Here is an engine that is sort of a Boxer---or maybe a few boxers going at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV-9A6UP1xo

Turn up the sound and listen as this H16 cylinder engine hits 11,500 rpm's---to every German, myself included, this is sweeter than Wagner:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts