Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help. I have a 2006 Suzuki boulevard that has sat up in the garage for over a year. I have started her back to life but when I get her out on the road she won't go over 55mph...it is like she has no real power. I have cleaned out the gas , replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the injectors, checked the plugs and I have done everything I can think of but not right yet. She cranks and runs no problems until out on the road. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next or any suggestions??????

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts

Is it possible something got into the exhaust, and at the other end, the air filter. Does it get maximum revs at WOT in neutral? And therefor only suffer when a load is placed on it.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not checked the exhaust - air filter was clean and no obstructions.
Full revs in neutral .

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Need help. I have a 2006 Suzuki boulevard that has sat up in the garage for over a year. I have started her back to life but when I get her out on the road she won't go over 55mph...it is like she has no real power. I have cleaned out the gas , replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the injectors, checked the plugs and I have done everything I can think of but not right yet. She cranks and runs no problems until out on the road. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next or any suggestions??????
Sure.. we can try to help you... but first, answer these questions:
1) What model Boulevard?
2) Why did you replace the fuel pump?
3) What do you mean by "Checked the plugs"? Did you you replace them?
4) How did you clean the injectors?
5) It would help if you gave a bit of history on the bike. Did it run fine when it was parked over a year ago? Was it stored properly? Have you owned this bike since before it was stored, or did you just acquire it? Such details help guys like me and some of the other techs that hang out here. We really want to help you, but details are needed....:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had a 2005 C50. Great bike, but it had its quirks.

Do all the instrument lights come on when you turn the key and switch to on or first start it? They're supposed to self test.

Does to the FI light come on while running or the LCD display "CHEC"? Some of the 05 C50s (mine did this) had a weird intermittent interference issue that would cause the FI light to come on (rarely) and the "CHEC" message to display (quite often at around 55+ mph when the air temp was over 90F). This is "supposed to mean" there's a problem with the fuel injection electronics. A loss of communication with the FI. It usually meant nothing. Most C50 owners with the intermittent warning issue reported no performance issues. Some people found cleaning the connection of the wire harness under the Speedo fixed it, and others replaced it with a new wire harness. Supposedly, the replacement harness is better insulated.

Either way, it may be a good idea to check (chec) your wires and connections. This could be an electronics problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) 2006 Suzuki boulevard m50
2) fuel was bad so cleaned gas tank - rust etc... It is fuel injected and is supposed to prime when the key turns on and it did not so I pulled the pump. Wire was off old fuel pump and it was to far from repair so I replaced and it primes up when you turn on key now.
3) pulled the plugs -tested for spark and then used sand paper to clean the head
Spark good on both ( did that last night and did not have replacement ones ) will replace tomorrow after I get new ones.
4) pulled both injectors - hooked up to 9volt battery and pumped injector cleaner thru a syringe will it was running. Both Sprayed good after that
Saw that on YouTube video.
5) ran great when garaged it - didn't plan on storing that long but that is why I had to clean the gas tank , injectors, and replace pump
I have owned the bike since 2006 never had any problems until stored over year.

All of that has got it cranking and running - just not running well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not had any warning lights or displays - I did have to replace fuse but that was the very first thing I looked for when it did not prime. After replacing fuse and pump it now primes when key is turned.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Sand paper will not clean a spark plug; just replace them.
You could have old, bad fuel clinging to the fine filter screen in the tank, reducing fuel flow during high demand - high speeds, for example. You can try using a fuel system cleaner, like Seafoam or Techron; not too expensive, and easier than taking things apart, if it works.

Also, check all your battery connections, both at the battery, and at the other ends, for corrosion. Big Suzukis run on battery power, and a weak battery or poor connection will mimic a fuel problem.

Next time, treat the fuel with a stabilizer, if you are going to park it a month or more, OK?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
A failure to rev...
Insufficient fuel flow at higher rpm's
Inability to breathe clogged air filter intake or exhaust
Insufficient spark advance
Clogged main jet in carb
Okay scratch that fuel injected bike check your fuel rail pressure

Try adding faux fuel (starter fluid) as you rev the bike and see if it will go to higher rpm's

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
You replaced the fuel pump, did you replace the fuel strainer too. If that is plugged with rust, the pump will not be able to supply enough fuel to the engine.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Cleaned the fuel tank..

When you cleaned the tank,consider what is after the tank as well. possibly a fuel filter or dirt in the fuel lines. You did mention rust in the tank.

Also consider that your tank vent could be partially plugged. Easy test is to pop the fuel filler cap and see if it runs better.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
The only filter, stock, would be the strainer on the front of the fuel pump; was that replaced with the pump? In any case, it should be obvious if it is plugged, unless the tank is still shedding rust, and it plugged after replacement.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I guess the next thing I would check would be the throttle cables to see if they are binding or out of adjustment. With no load on the engine, it will rev a lot higher with less fuel. Possibly the throttle body is sticking from sitting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts