Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering this to be my first bike. The local dealer told me to do some research on this bike after I requested some info on the 750cc honda shawdows. I am 6'3 and riding comfortably is one of main concerns with all the entry level cruisers. I am looking at this bike for a 25 mile round trip commute and fun as well. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
thanks,

·
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
338 Posts
I have a mostly stock 2005 C50. Only just added a Sporttech wind screen. 9,000+ miles now and bought it with 7,000 or so. There are other C50s here as well. We all like them.

At 800cc, the C50 can do around town and interstate just fine. My daily commute is just over 50 miles round trip with a mix a city streets, highway and interstate. 70 mph is just a number to the C50. 85 mph is the fastest I've gone and the bike did it like just another number on the speedo. The bike handles fine at low speed too.

Fuel mileage is about 46-50 mpg with 87 octane unleaded.

I'm 5'7" and weigh... too much for my height. 220 pounds. The C50 carries me fine. My wife rode with me and whatever my rear shock is set at is too soft. It has 7 adjustments. Other than being too soft, which can be changed at home (wait for Goliath or TxRob or maybe Shore50 to explain that) the bike did fine around the neighborhood up to 35 mph. We didn't go faster cause I'm still new. TxRob rides his wife often and posted no complaints.

The driver seat is OK. My wife wants a back rest for the rear seat.

The C50 is fairly quite. It does not make Harley noises. It doesn't shake or even vibrate very much. It's a stable ride.

Throttle response, speeding up and slowing down, feels good to me and so do the brakes. It shifts nicely and I'll even say it shifts forgivingly. Stalling has not been a problem. Mine came with floor boards and a heel/toe shifter.

My only problem has been that the CHEC message comes on in temps over 95F. Some have said it's an electrical interference problem with some C50s. Why it doesn't happen under 95F is beyond me. It does not seem to run hot. The temp light does not come on. The dealer says it's just a quirk. :confused:

Overall, I'm very pleased with my C50.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
On a comparative basis, let me mention the larger of the Boulevards, the 1500
Making a jump to that larger size offers overkill that's neither needed nor cheap!
Even with the basic equipment the additional weight of the C90 etc. is harder to handle and provides for 34 to 40 mpg usage on fuel.
The c50 also has tire sizes more traditionally expected on a cruiser.
Keep looking at the C5 ...it's a great bike. By the way, I'm a "dyed in the wool" Honda guy...errr...at least I was!!

CD

·
Registered
122 Posts
C50 is a good bike and those who ride them are fiercely loyal. The C90 is bigger and more expensive, but you get what you pay for. C50 - plastic fenders and various other parts, C90 - steel fenders and tank (actually, what looks like the tank is fake, but it really is steel - the real tank is under the seat) . C50 - tube tires and spokes, C90 - tubeless tires and cast alloy wheels). C50 - single disc brake in the front and drum in the rear, C90 has dual discs in the front and a single disc in the rear. C50 - mechanical valve lifters that require manual adjustment, C90 - hydraulic lifters - self adjusting.

C90 is better for 2 up riding and for trips. At 2500 rpms it lopes along at 55 mph in 4th gear and 67 in 5th. My C90T gets 45 mpg locally and 48+ on trips. A friend of mine has a regular C90 and gets 50+ mpg (no windshield on his and I outweigh him by 75 lbs.) The C90 is rock solid at interstate speeds (low center of gravity) ... does not get blown around at all by the big rigs. The big tires handle rough road surfaces with no problem. And if you are so inclined, the C90 easily tops 100 mph.

At 6'3" you are a big guy, so you might want to consider a big bike. I had planned on buying a middle weight cruiser myself and was talked into sitting on a C90 in the showroom by a friend... that's all it took. (by the way, I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs.) The C90 had more room and a better seating position for me than the C50 or even the big Yammie cruisers and the Honda VTX1800. No offense to the C50 crowd, but the C90 might just be too much bike for those who complain that it is cumbersome and hard to manuver. After all, buying a bike is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. We are all different in size and shape and we all have individual tastes. One big guy to another - If I had bought the C50 I am quite sure that I would have wanted to trade up by now. Before you spend your $$$, I advise you to think carefully about what you might think of the C50 or any other middle weight a year from now.

Okay C50 guys.... I know that I am going to catch it from you now.... so take your shot.:rolleyes:

p.s. By the way, if you are a new rider, you definitely should take a motorcycle safety course no matter what you choose to ride.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Indeed you are right!
I didn't want to come on too strong with the "my bike's got this....!" I really love my Intruder 1500LC (previous name for the Boulevard, but the same bike!).
It has plenty of power and then some. Rides great on interstate at virtually any speed. It's actually a more heavily constructed bike than Harley's Ultra Classic. And, It is very simple to maintain, especially with the shaft drive. There's more but I think you can see most of the differences.
The C50 does have a lot of plastic. So...Most things do now-a-days! Nice thing about plastic is it is light and bends rather than dents! The reason both bikes are built is because people like them both for different reasons.
DO NOT BUY HASTILY! Find a dealer that will work with you when you're ready to buy.
Until then, consider the possibility of a "bang-a-round" bike that will help you to learn to "feel" the bike. With big bikes you'd better be able to "feel" the shift of the weight of the bike. Don't wait until you feel the weigh itself...that'll be too late.
CD

·
Registered
122 Posts
Amen on the "bang around bike". When learning you will probably have a few low speed mishaps.... better to put the dents and scratches on a cheap starter, then resell it and get your "real" bike. If you do start out with your "good" bike, be sure to put highway bars on it. Right after I bought my C90T I dropped it when my kickstand caught on my boot and flipped back up as I leaned it over. It fell over on the left highway bar and just sat there at about a 45 degree angle... no damage at all. I hate to think of what might have happened without those bars. :eek:

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I have an '08 C50C (also known as Limited Edition in some places) mine has the alloy wheels and tubeless tires, I love them. The one thing that I don't like is the plastic fenders, but other than that I love it. I was looking at Shadow 750's as well, but a dealer here in town was being an ass about dropping the price on one (that another dealer told me he would drop it to) because it was the last one of that color (the limited silver with flames Shadow Spirit 750) so when I went back to the other dealer (Honda and Suzuki) I decided to look over the Boulevards. I am 6'2'' and weigh almost 400 lbs (and dropping, yeah me :)) and the bike fits me well, handles very good, on highways and around neighborhoods. I like the C90's also, but for the money I spent ($7200 out the door) I am pretty happy with what I got. If you sit on one and think you need a litle more leg room, PM me and I will send you a link to a place that sells a relocation kit for the stock floorboards for the C50's and C90's, the kit moves the stock set-up forward 3 1/2" (and for far less than jardine forward controls that switch everything to pegs) That goes for the rest of you also with the C50's and C90's

disclaimer: I do NOT work for this other place, I am just a very satisfied customer :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I will be taking the safety course in the spring and checking out a bunch of options for my first bike. I dont want more bike than I can handle and would like to stay under 1000ccs. I appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I currently own a 2007 C90. As you can see from my screen name, I previously owned a C50. Both bikes are great. As others have mentioned, the C50 costs less, but has an 800 cc motor compared to the 1500 cc on the C90. Bottom line is the C50 is a little lighter and more nimble. The C90 is a little larger, has more torque, is a little more stable and is better suited for longer rides or riding 2 up. By the way, I'm 6 foot and about 200 lbs. Both bikes fit me fine. Overall, when considering all factors, I give the edge to the C90 for the type of riding I do. By the way, I average between 45 and 50 miles to the gallon with the C90. The newer fuel injected C90's get better mileage than the older 1500LC's that had carbs.

·
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
338 Posts
If a C90 showed up in my garage, I'd ride it. My decision to buy a C50 over a C90 was influenced first by price (about $4,000 more than the C50), then by fuel economy and lastly weight (over 100 pounds heavier than the C50)

Paying 5 digits for a motorcycle still seems a bit much to me. To each his own and all, but still, for $10,000+ I want doors.

On fuel economy, really? I didn't know over 1000cc did that well.

In hindsight, the extra 100 pounds of the C90 would not have been too bad.

·
Registered
393 Posts
On fuel economy, really? I didn't know over 1000cc did that well.

In hindsight, the extra 100 pounds of the C90 would not have been too bad.
Yep, if I'm easy on the throttle I can get 50 mpg. Extended rides at around 50 to 55 mph seem to get the best fuel mileage. I guess that's the sweet spot. If I take it out on the highway and run 65 to 75 mph, the fuel mileage will average 45 to 48 mpg. It doesn't even vary that much when I haul a passenger. I saw very little difference in mileage between the C50 and C90. I think the best mileage I ever got with the C50 was 53 mpg.

·
Out Standing In His Field
581 Posts
Similar to you I wanted a bike under 1000 cc's, but wanted a bike that fit in the middle weight cruiser category. If you look at specs you'll see that the wheel base of a C50 is 1.7 inches longer than a Harley Road King, and the C90 is about another 1.7 inches longer than the C50. Both the C50 and C90 have a seat height 0.1 inches taller than the Road King. The C50 has a dry weight 192 lbs less than the Harely, while the C90 is 60 lbs lighter. So the C50 its a large bike without some of the weight. Yes its only 800 cc's but when I started riding, a 350 was a large bike, and like Ramazith, I've only taken it up to around 85 mph indicated, and felt it had a lot more to give.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own an "07" c90 Blvd. My wife owns an "05" c50 Blvd. I'm 6'1" and 225lbs and the c50 just was a little under powered and light for me.( caught a lot of wind off semi's) I also get an avg. of 45 miles per. Check out the c90's or earlier 1500's and you may prefer one.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm 6'0" and weigh 260. My C-50 handles me just fine, but my area is only about 300' above sea level. I took my wife for her first ride yesterday and it handled both of us just fine, also. But it was on flat ground. If I was to do it all over again, I would look carefully at the Kawasaki 900. Its Fuel Injected, but I believe it has hydraulic lifters and disk rear break. The only drawback I can see is that it is a belt drive, and I am being told that is not realy a drawback. My C-50 gives me 49 mpg at 70 to 75 on flat terrain and riding alone. The Kawasaki is supposed to get about 45. I'm not the least bit unhappy that I bought the C-50....But I believe I should have paid more attention to the Kawasaki.
Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs and ride a ninja 20 right now as a starter bike. It works for me for short rides but 30 minutes is about all I can do on it. I've always like the c50 and the m50. After riding the Ninja the c50 seems huge and looks like it would be hard to handle at low speeds. Can any one comper it to the m50 as far as comfort?

Is there not a cruiser forum?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
it's all a cruiser Forum, the rest is just for show :D
no cruiser (as far as I know) will corner and handle like a sport bike (even a 250 Ninja) they are worlds apart. After riding a slim, small (physically small I mean) bike, (any kind, but especially a sport bike) a large cruiser will of course feel different, but it is a comfortable ride and handles nicely (I have an '08 C50) if you want the 805cc and you think the C50/M50 is too big, take a look at the S50, it is a smaller body, with the same motor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I rode my brothers HD Dynaglide around the block this weekend and while I don't like Harleys, it was nice and very comfortable, especially compared to mine. I really like the look of the C50 and from sitting on it in the showroom its comfy. I don't know how it will feel after an hour or so in the saddle, it has to be better than the ninja. Not sure how to break it to the wife next year that I'm ready to move up.:D

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Chumly, one word of advice on comfort on a C50, get an aftermarket seat, or at the very least a seat pad. I can stand to ride for about an hour or so, but then I have to get off the bike to rest my backside (of course this could be said for MOST cruiser seats LOL)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts