Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Road Glide Ultra in Twisted Cherry. If you need me, I'll be eating ramen, panhandling for loose change, and turning tricks to pay for this thing.

They actually did a pretty good deal. When I've attempted to buy Harley's in the past, they never budge on price. This time I got a "free" tall boy seat and stage 1 upgrade (pipes, air cleaner, tune). Better than nothing I suppose. Bike rides like a dream, I'll be figuring out what buttons do and how the radio/nav works for a while I suspect.

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
Good looking machine. The button do take time and some have to answered about their use on forums. The Radio has several functions that all operate independently but you would think get set once. At least that's how they used to work. Read the owners manual then read it again and again. You got a great bike there that deserves everything being used. Far too many don't.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Don't ever see it happening on my Budget but if were to ever own another HD would be a Road Glide Special .. Enjoy your RGU , give us an update now and then ..

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
You can play with the buttons while it is parked, get out and ride that good looking bike.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I was able to get out for about 40 miles today. Weather was sketchy and I didn't want to get caught in the rain on new tires with a new bike, so I hurried back home. So far so good, that new 107 M8 is very sweet. The bike appears to have about as much power stock as my Victory Cross Country did with a stage 1 setup. It is a heck of a lot smoother too, I'm impressed. Had I known that the big Harley's were THAT good, I'd have bought one a few years ago. :)

I've still got my 2016 Indian Dark Horse as well. Bought this one for the long trips... should be pretty awesome for those!

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Thanks guys, I was able to get out for about 40 miles today. Weather was sketchy and I didn't want to get caught in the rain on new tires with a new bike, so I hurried back home. So far so good, that new 107 M8 is very sweet. The bike appears to have about as much power stock as my Victory Cross Country did with a stage 1 setup. It is a heck of a lot smoother too, I'm impressed. Had I known that the big Harley's were THAT good, I'd have bought one a few years ago. :)

I've still got my 2016 Indian Dark Horse as well. Bought this one for the long trips... should be pretty awesome for those!
Sounds like you have a Nice Combo of Rides .. Mine is the Opposite .. Have my Dyna for fun around town and short trips, and my Chieftain Dark Horse for the longer Haul .. Also a Former Victory Cross Country Owner ..

·
Visionary
5,272 Posts
Very nice!

The Road Glide Ultra is the Harley that I've looked at a few times too, I love the looks and I really like the fixed fairing designs better than the fairing on handlebars so it would be on the short list to test ride if I ever run out of Victory Visions :)

I bet that is one awesome bike on the open road.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had 4 Victory bikes, 2014 Cross Country, 2013 Cross Country Tour, 2013 Cross Roads Classic, and a 2015 High Ball. As much as I loved those Victory bikes, I'll admit that I see the difference now. I get why they didn't make it in the long run.

The Cross Country I sold about 6 months ago, as cool as it was in its own right (and that 106 is a sweet engine to be sure)... it can only be described as "sloppy" compared to this Harley. Everything on the Harley screams better quality components, and fit and finish. It doesn't rattle and squeak when you hit bumps etc. Color me surprised, I guess I had no idea they were THAT much nicer. I liked my 2012 Harley Wide Glide I had for about 2 years, but not a fair comparison to the touring bike. Still, at the time, I was surprised just how good that Wide Glide was too. Makes sense in retrospect.

Anyway, I hope this new one will prove to be a reliable companion on my yearly long trips. I bought the 5 year/unlimited warranty and paid for 15,000 miles of maintenance up front. The bike goes in Saturday for the Stage 1 upgrade. It was funny though, the Harley dealer had the usual Saturday festivities running. Bunch of people dressed in their pirate and mad max outfits, girls in bikinis walking around for seemingly no apparent reason (can't really complain...), live band with tone deaf singer, vendor booths, and burgers cooking on the grill. It just isn't my scene, but everyone was friendly, and the biker club out front was probably more excited about me buying that bike than I was. Lots of handshakes, smiles, and high fives. That was pretty cool, I do appreciate the enthusiasm...

·
American Legion Rider
26,003 Posts
I felt the same with my Indian compared to a Victory. I do wonder how long it will take Polaris to butcher the Indian back down to the quality of Victory's. They seem to be doing just that every year. Just a little less than the year prior.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah the Indian is much closer to the Harley in overall quality than the Victory for sure. I have ridden the Chieftains and Roadmasters quite a bit (helped out with demo days). I just have a Dark Horse, but it is fully dressed for touring. Not far off from a Springfield in its current state.

I thought about doing another Indian, but I just don't want a Roadmaster, and that is the closest to my Road Glide Ultra. I appreciate the retro styling to an extent, but those take it too far for my tastes. I could have paid to add a tour pack to a Chieftain, but I don't know... just wasn't feeling it. I like my Indian a lot, but not enough to buy another one.

What drove me into the Harley dealership was the huge aftermarket, I'm tired of having so few options. The Indians are getting better, but still I wouldn't say the aftermarket is "abundant". Also, the genuine Polaris/Indian stuff is 50% - 300% more than equivalent Harley pieces. $3500 for a tour pack? Ouch.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
Also, the genuine Polaris/Indian stuff is 50% - 300% more than equivalent Harley pieces. $3500 for a tour pack? Ouch.

Boy that is something you don't hear very often. Usually it is about how expensive genuine Harley pieces are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts