Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys

Two months ago my older brothers bought a Vulcan 1600. Two weeks ago my father bought a V-Star 1100. Last night I picked up a '96 Bandit 600. I'm now waiting to hit the DMV to register her, finish up insurance quotes, and take to the road.

I'm 20 years old, live in North Jersey and have gear and a permit so I'm ready to ride. I don't plan on taking the MSF course yet but will do so when I have the time and money. I have experience on ATV's and Dirtbikes, along with over 40,000 miles driven in various cars, so I feel just as comfortable and excited to ride as I am nervous.

Wish me luck everyone, I'll be back soon. :smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
He has drivin dirt bikes so maybe he has some experiance in riding, but yes he should take a course.

Just take ur time n don't drive it like a dirt bike on the streets.....
Get the feel of the streets....
It's totally different...

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. My advice is to take the BRC as soon as you can. Riding a bike on a street with traffic is a lot different than riding a dirt bike or driving a car. The class teaches so many of the things to look for to stay safe. It also teaches avoidance maneuvers.

Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome from Seattle :)

I agree 100% with everyone...the time to take the course is before you ride, not after.

If you don't have the money to take the BRC, then you can't afford to be a motorcyclist. Motorcycling is more expensive than driving a car, and everythimng that costs money is important to your well-being. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. My advice is to take the BRC as soon as you can. Riding a bike on a street with traffic is a lot different than riding a dirt bike or driving a car. The class teaches so many of the things to look for to stay safe. It also teaches avoidance maneuvers.

Good Luck to you.

+1.....As usual...MONI is correct!:icon_cool:
Also, welcome from East Tennessee!
Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember the first time I got on my road bike. My buddy said I was "squirrely." Then I took the MSF course in my local town. I'll be. It was amazing. Two days of ridin' in the sunshine on a little bike. I learned everything I needed to know. When I got back on my bike, I was a changed man. MSF saves lives - no question. I had some buddies who decided not to take the course... I don't ride with them anymore. They don't know how to ride. It's scary. Take the course. Be comfortable. Ride forever.

- Not if, but when.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Warren county has alot of great country roads to ride. I'm right close to Warren , Hunterdon, & Morris county border and ride alot in those counties. Sounds like you have alot of experience under your belt from riding dirt bikes so you should feel right at home. Just be cautious with all the deer especially at night. Though most riders are easily going 50- 60 mph on any given day on the country roads you want to slow it down at night cause of deer. Good investment is putting a HID bulb in your cruiser so spotting deer after dusk becomes easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ride like nobody sees you, get comfortable on the more laid back roads first.
Ditto to that, we have all been cut off many times by vehicles traffic that simply didn't see us. While it's supposed to be fun and relaxing, it's a whole different level of awareness when you're on the road especially in traffic. Where I am I have to watch for deer too :icon_cool:.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome. I just bought my first bike as well. Intend to have my buddy teach me the basics in a parking lot while i wait to get into the msf course on post

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take the course.

The fact that you have driven a lot, I feel, can hurt you. It is NOT the same.

I think every new driver should take the class portion of the bike class.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts