Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No matter what sound system gear I put in pickup trucks, they sound lousy compared to sedans, etc.

I attribute it to the tiny volume of the truck cab, and the lack of delay between rear speakers and the listener's ears.

My INITIAL idea was to put some 10" subs in the bed, connected by 2-3 foot long wooden??? 10" tubes to the cab, the rear "firewall" of which I"d drill repeatedly to allow sound passage. Would provide delay AND some reverb fx, mechanically...

Seems to me SOMEONE has already solved this problem, making concert-hall like sound out of a small box and smaller speakers with a bunch of curved, conch-shell like sound passageways to re-create the reflections/echos in a better sounding concert hall.

BOSE.

So what would you think about a BOSE-style box BEHIND the seats in your pickup that incorporated, say, a 10" sub, coupla tweeters, and whatever sound-engineering designed baffles to make tunes actually sound DECENT
in a pick-em up.

Should we approach BOSE and just give 'em the idea or try and design a prototype ourselves?

Anyone know an acoustics engineer?

Could make an excellent KICKSTARTER project.

Who here AGREEES their pickup truck stereo sounds like crap compared to larger vehicles,

Who here WANTS one of the prototypes.... and how much would you shell out, say, $300???

Sometimes you just need some hard rock AT HIGH AMPLITUDE to clear your head, no?

OR you just want to sing BYE BYE MISS AMERICAN PIE at the top of your lungs with your good buddies/ best girl as you head to the market, eh?

W

·
American Legion Rider
21,121 Posts
If you only have one functioning ear like me it doesn't make a difference.:frown:

·
Nightfly
4,223 Posts
Saying something is "Bose like" is an insult to the sound engineers that work tirelessly perfecting the Bose sound. Pickup trucks are very difficult because of the limited space. Throwing in stereo speakers off the shelf and not made for a specific application usually leads to mediocre sound at best.

Bose does not make stereo systems for vehicles that are universal fit. Any auto system they made was for specific vehicle applications such as Alfa Romeo, Audi, Buick Enclave, a number of Cadillac's and for some GMC trucks such as Yukon, Denali, and Sierra Crew Cab, and a few others.

The average car has approximately 80 cubic feet of sound space, which is very difficult to fill properly with quality sound. Doing so in the cab of a truck is much more difficult because of an even smaller sound space. Most of the units Bose makes for trucks are for those with larger interiors.. Bose designs their products for specific vehicles rather than throw products out there and hope some audio sound shop knows what they are doing. Many do not.

And if you're one of those looking for ridiculous bass thumping, car vibrating sound, well, start enclosing your bed.

In your case Cowboy your best bet would be music with a monaural mix. But that would be difficult as everything is stereo today. Unless you feel like making your own mixes. The time differences of sounds arriving at our left and right ears are due to the shading effect of the head. In some ways you can hear things in mono that you can't hear in stereo, but that's a longer discussion.

·
American Legion Rider
21,121 Posts
Oh I've given up on hearing anything of quality. But that was sorta my point. You can't please everyone. I actually do better wearing ear plugs in some environments. Sound overload if you would.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Quality sound systems in a truck? What a pampered society we have become. My first new truck didn't have a radio. It didn't even have power steering.:mad: Whats next? Trucks with automatic transmissions, air conditioning, leather seats, carpeting, sunroofs? You kids stay off my lawn with those pretty little trucks.:p
Actually, I haven't bought a new truck in years, but I always ordered my Dodges with the Infinity sound system (their premium sound package). They always sounded pretty good. If only to drown out the sounds of the noisy motorcycles around here in the summer.;)

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
No matter what sound system gear I put in pickup trucks, they sound lousy compared to sedans, etc.

I attribute it to the tiny volume of the truck cab, and the lack of delay between rear speakers and the listener's ears.

My INITIAL idea was to put some 10" subs in the bed, connected by 2-3 foot long wooden??? 10" tubes to the cab, the rear "firewall" of which I"d drill repeatedly to allow sound passage. Would provide delay AND some reverb fx, mechanically...

Seems to me SOMEONE has already solved this problem, making concert-hall like sound out of a small box and smaller speakers with a bunch of curved, conch-shell like sound passageways to re-create the reflections/echos in a better sounding concert hall.

BOSE.

So what would you think about a BOSE-style box BEHIND the seats in your pickup that incorporated, say, a 10" sub, coupla tweeters, and whatever sound-engineering designed baffles to make tunes actually sound DECENT
in a pick-em up.

Should we approach BOSE and just give 'em the idea or try and design a prototype ourselves?

Anyone know an acoustics engineer?

Could make an excellent KICKSTARTER project.

Who here AGREEES their pickup truck stereo sounds like crap compared to larger vehicles,

Who here WANTS one of the prototypes.... and how much would you shell out, say, $300???

Sometimes you just need some hard rock AT HIGH AMPLITUDE to clear your head, no?

OR you just want to sing BYE BYE MISS AMERICAN PIE at the top of your lungs with your good buddies/ best girl as you head to the market, eh?

W
Actually, my 2014 Ram has an AWESOME Alpine system with a sub under the passenger side back seat. It's the high end version but it sounds awesome, probably the best sounding stock stereo I've had. Mind you, I have a crew cab, so my interior volume is as big as a sedan, if not bigger due to the ceiling height.

I used to build audio systems in cars for audio shows, I LOVED car audio construction. I had a 96 Mustang that I spent months working for a car show, it was about 2000 watts with some massive Kicker 14" drivers and a top of line Alpine system, with amps, tuners, caps, the works. The trunk was useless after I was done but it looked and sounded insanely good. I came in second place in my very first contest with that car.

Anyhow, subs are the only part of your system you can hide behind or under seats, your high range drivers can't be covered, so tweeters have to be exposed with a clear path to the listener. Honestly, a good car audio installer can make your truck sound amazing. There's also forums specialized for this, you can search around. Also, Kicker make specific components just for trucks, but they are premium speakers, so the price matches. In the car audio world, you definitely get what you pay for.

Anyhow, have faith, your truck can definitely sound good.

By the way, don't get me started on Bose... this is the company that used to take legal action and saber rattle against anyone that posted bad reviews of their products, that was why you only saw good reviews of Bose gear. They do make decent gear now for certain applications, but up until recently, they are the biggest overhyped audio company in the world. These guys had very sketchy business practices.

Example: http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1983/1983_82_1246

We used to say Bose = Better Off with Something Else or Buy Other Sound System lol

Dan

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
BOSE was designed for old folks who really couldn't master a modern sound system or even wiring up speakers.

Like my Dad. And it worked perfectly for him. And provided "good enough" sound quality.

I adopted the whole "subwoofer + satellites" thing versus 12" JBL or Klipsch box speakers with woofer, mid, tweeter about ten years ago. Just makes a room LOOK nicer without domination by big ugly speaker boxes.

And sounds equal or even better, imho....although I don't listen to hard rock at the sorts of volumes I did in college when EVERY negative thought (Wade you're NEVER going to get laid...) needed to be phsycially shoved out of my cranium by high amplitude sound waves.

You're saying there's REALLY NOTHING "to" the whole Bosch conch-shell design? No sound quality improvement at all?

Or is it just that the crappy $500 units they pawn off on our parents aren't...WELL IMPLEMENTED as they ought to be?

AGAIN, I don't think your 2000 Watt systems...capable of bowing plate glass windows...are the answer to pickup truck sound systems.

I want a system that sounds crisp and "concert hally" at LOW volumes as well.

I just happen to believe SOME of the Bose "hype" about mixing sound reflections to MIMIC what occurs in a GOOD accoustic setting (concert hall)...maybe not ALL of it, but...

And I definitely think th e interior of a pick-em-up is an INFERIOR setting....and "to blame" for how lousy MOST systems sound....versus the head unit or speakers I've chosen...

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
BOSE was designed for old folks who really couldn't master a modern sound system or even wiring up speakers.

Like my Dad. And it worked perfectly for him. And provided "good enough" sound quality.

I adopted the whole "subwoofer + satellites" thing versus 12" JBL or Klipsch box speakers with woofer, mid, tweeter about ten years ago. Just makes a room LOOK nicer without domination by big ugly speaker boxes.

And sounds equal or even better, imho....although I don't listen to hard rock at the sorts of volumes I did in college when EVERY negative thought (Wade you're NEVER going to get laid...) needed to be phsycially shoved out of my cranium by high amplitude sound waves.

You're saying there's REALLY NOTHING "to" the whole Bosch conch-shell design? No sound quality improvement at all?

Or is it just that the crappy $500 units they pawn off on our parents aren't...WELL IMPLEMENTED as they ought to be?

AGAIN, I don't think your 2000 Watt systems...capable of bowing plate glass windows...are the answer to pickup truck sound systems.

I want a system that sounds crisp and "concert hally" at LOW volumes as well.

I just happen to believe SOME of the Bose "hype" about mixing sound reflections to MIMIC what occurs in a GOOD accoustic setting (concert hall)...maybe not ALL of it, but...

And I definitely think th e interior of a pick-em-up is an INFERIOR setting....and "to blame" for how lousy MOST systems sound....versus the head unit or speakers I've chosen...
There's a few things with Bose that most people don't realize. They are definitely the best at two things... marketing and protecting their brand. no one even comes close, and for that reason, they have been able to develop a reputation as a premium brand with premium prices, but it's actually average at premium prices. Kind of like those Beats brand headphones... they're OK headphones, but there is MUCH better for half the price. Same deal with the soundwave radio Bose has (or whatever it's called, can't remmeber). There are better sounding and cheaper alternatives, but Bose's marketing machine is simply MUCH better.

But good on them, they're a hugely successful company, but for anyone interested in their wallet and getting the best sound for their buck, Bose is not it.

And I agree 100% with your sound system assessment, there are really good DISCREET home theater systems available on the market and 90% of the market can't tell one from the next in terms of nuances. I don't watch TV and haven't had cable or anything like that in 20 years. But I do watch movies and luuuuuv my home theater. I make sure my speakers are level and at the correct height and distance and angles from the target audience etc... I fiddle with my settings, do sound tests and geek out. I enjoy it and it keeps me out of trouble as the missus would say.

Bose didn't invent that conch-shell shaped design, it was a sound delivery system developed ages ago but I can't remember the company name. They were huge black speakers and the system cost around $150k when it was released. It's a top of the line system for the elite but they invented the design concept, or at least were the first to sell it. So Bose didn't invent it, they simply marketed it better and made it theirs. Did it improve sound vs a regular clock radio? Yes. Is it the only way to get good sound? Definitely not. Are there standalone units that sound better? Definitely.

I also agree that there is zero reason to need a 2000 watt stero for sound quality, in fact wattage has little do with it at all. Wattage is important when selecting the overall components of your sound system and balancing consumption vs capacity. In the contest world, they do displacement contests so you need crazy base to get your numbers up, so you need the high wattage to "blow your doors off". So absolutely, wattage isn't a selling point for sound quality.

I have to run to a meeting, but a truck is definitely harder to sound manage, but it can be done with products made specifically for a truck application, just google around or check out car audio forums.

Good luck!
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts