Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like a good place to ask since it's titled "wind seekers." So today I drove about 80-100 miles round trip on my v star 1100 with a spike air filter. My speed averaged 70-75mph. It seemed to me that whenever I hit a strong headwind, my bike would almost want to stall out. It felt as if you were getting to the bottom of the fuel tank and had to switch to the reserve. I knew I wasn't out of fuel so I gave it a little more throttle and it would come out of it.

Is there just too much air getting in the engine at those points with the wind? Is there a possible way to fix it? Much thanks!

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

It's rather obvious your problem. Happens to all bikes. You are traveling at 70 mph which has tremendous wind pressure holding you back. Then you get a 30 mph headwind. This is 100 mph worth of headwind which is very extreme. So, yes, too much wind--not in the air cleaner but against the front of the bike and you.

I remember being in the Columbia Gorge of Oregon along the Columbia River. An area known for it's high winds. I once had headwinds that on my RoadStar 1600 enough that I couldn't keep it in fifth gear as it was bogging down so much. I had to run it in fourth and then couldn't go more than (I'm guessing now as it was ten years ago) about 50 mph. And I swear, I could see the fuel gauge dropping visibly. Couldn't make it to Portland, had to stop to get gas.

--

·
Registered
164 Posts
its a pods/ yamaha thing. when i did pods i removed the air cleaner and it wouldn't go over 50 mph. falls flat flat you can peg the throttle and theres nothing there. also when i tried a new windshield it would do the same thing.i'm guessing it affects the slides

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
I would think you would need some kind of tuner with that much air available. Don't they make a Power Commander or something like that to tune the bike? That's out of my area big time but it would seem like you have to tell the bike how to handle the addition air.

·
Registered
164 Posts
carburators, ten 15 years ago some guys got together with a dyno and figured the jetting. and a guy named Sloan put a website together called it the WiKi web pages it's only for the yamaha 1100. maintenance, tuning, repairs, mods.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Believe RonK is right. It happens to most all vehicles. Was traveling west on I-70 several years ago. Was driving a Dodge 1 ton, diesel and pulling a 5th wheel travel trailer. With the windows up and the air conditioner on, I didn't notice how bad the wind had started blowing until I realized I had the pedal to the floor and all it would do was about 55 - 60 MPH. It's just wind resistance, and your fuel mileage will take a header.
On the other hand, with the wind blowing against your back, your fuel mileage will go way up. That's nice! :)

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

Of course you could always turn around and go the other way so the wind is to your back!!!

--

·
Ace Tuner
2,366 Posts
With an open in the wind air filter, wind gusts could (probably would) affect your 'carbureting' to some degree.
If your carb tuning is a little off, even more so.

S F

·
Ace Tuner
2,366 Posts
Man, I gotta look at the dates on these posts.
This thread is 9 moths old.
D'oh!

S F

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
Yeah but your reply is timeless.......and still valid

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
I am getting bogged down with snow. And that is up to date info. For the first time ever, the ferry to my Island was shut down Sunday afternoon. On Monday, my travel day, there was a crash on the causeway to the big ferry on the mainland. That shut down everything for hours. Van sitting idling for about 2 1/2 hours. Power was off on my Island Sunday afternoon and evening. 5 inches of snow last night.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
Yeah but nothing like they get on the Coquihalla Highway. I have gotten hooked on the tv show "Highway thru hell"

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
I used to drive that pass every winter in January. I went over it a while back in November with the summer tyres on the van cage. Could not get to the top. Waited about 30 minutes and three snow plows appeared. Later I found a set of chains I could have used. Decent winter tyres work fine up to about 65. Folks are going faster with lesser tyres. I jerky movement and they are in the ditch. Many also go too fast going down the hills. When I moved stuff from Kelowna to here, it was 30 miles up hill in second gear, and down many in second. Front rotors buckled the first trip.

That new road cut about 90 minutes travel time.

UK

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,166 Posts
Wind does not affect me very noticeably on the Blackbird or in the Big truck, unless it is from the side, then I really take notice.

·
American Legion Rider
21,183 Posts
Wind does not affect me very noticeably on the Blackbird or in the Big truck, unless it is from the side, then I really take notice.
I had a 85 Electra Glide stopped cold in first gear full throttle once. Was going over one of the passes of the Sierras in California two-up. Winds were gusting around 60mph with huge, and I mean tractor size huge boulders getting blown onto the road. Found out later that it was the first winter storm for the season that left a foot of snow on the ground. This was the back entrance to Yosemite which has a guarded and you have to pay to enter. At 3:00am he looked with eyes as big as dinner plates and just waved me and wife to be on thru. They closed the pass behind us. We stopped about a mile or two inside the park and both of us grabbed any part of the exhaust we could get to. We were froze to death. I had pictures of the Donner Party wagon train going through my mind. Sometimes fools are just lucky.:D :D :D

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
23 Posts
A strong headwind I can deal with and understand the effect it has on your bike as you ride but the blast of crosswind is the one that concerns me the most. It seems like your driving sideways during half of the trip and suddenly as the gust slam into the bike suddenly for short periods of time over and over again.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
A strong headwind I can deal with and understand the effect it has on your bike as you ride but the blast of crosswind is the one that concerns me the most. It seems like your driving sideways during half of the trip and suddenly as the gust slam into the bike suddenly for short periods of time over and over again.
--

That's what riding in Kansas is all about!!! ?

--

1 - 20 of 22 Posts